Trying to find sucker minnows

Gallie

Hey all, im having a hard time finding large suckers for pike fishing, the stores in barrie keswick sutton and orillia have nothing.

I cant seem to find a working number for jacobs bait either. If someone knows a place i can go in the vicinity of any of these areas please let me know. Thanks.

very unfortunate Jacob's is so unreliable. When we head up that way needing suckers I now buy in Toronto because I had too many occasions when I would get there and nobody home. He has ruined more than one fishing trip for me...but no more! Pay a bit more in Toronto and have piece of mind. Even when his phone was working, he would never answer it anyways. That place was great when he had the first woman I remember (12 years ago), took a bit of a down turn when the next one came on board (8 years ago?), but now that she's gone (I believe) its terrible. Especially mid week I would never count on getting bait there...perhaps week-ends he is more reliable.

sorry forgot to tell you the name of the store...but its near vaughan mills mall...in one of those plazas just north of the mall. Canadian Outfitters? I think that is the name but can't recall. The have good hours and good bait, but for good size suckers you may need to sell a kidney.

Thanks rizzo, i have gotten bait at real canadian but was trying to avoid the drive down there, i work in innisfil and can run around orillia on the way home. I do like the giant suckers but the price is pretty hurtful lol.

I trap my own in the spring but they go quick,i will be freezing some this year for next winters activities.

Gallie, have you checked with Elwood Epps on 11 just north of Orillia? They have a website with the phone number on it. Not much else on there for fishing, mostly devoted to hunting but I can say the fishing store is pretty well stocked for the size of it and I've never heard anything "ungood" about it. It's where I used to get stuff I didn't acquire thru TnT when I was operating it. I know I've bought large suckers there in the softwater season so they know how to get them. It'd be worth a call to see if they can help - and they would if they can!

Michael

Bill, ive used probably 20 fish species for deadbaiting pike and i do have a few that i like but i prefer to keep a live sucker in the water somewhere. I still have some anchovies, mackarel and something else in the freezer that i will be using.

Ive got a couple buddies going and i want to put a couple gators on the ice.

Cheaptackle i called ellwood today and they have no suckers either, thank you though.

I appreciate all the input fellas.

sorry forgot to tell you the name of the store...but its near vaughan mills mall...in one of those plazas just north of the mall. Canadian Outfitters? I think that is the name but can't recall. The have good hours and good bait, but for good size suckers you may need to sell a kidney.

Sometimes you have to sell a kidney for a parking spot!

I have used a couple types of mackarel, herring, anchovies, smelts, ballyhoo, milkfish, and a few others i cant remember off the top of my head.

Ive bought some at whole food seafood places like the place in bradford(7c i think its called)

I ve always liked mackarel because of the stripes and because they are a big profile hanging as deadbait, they also hold together nice in the water where as many other species dont.

Anchovies have worked well for me in the past too, they have a good stank on them and i find they bring in fish in murky or stained water conditions.

You never know what will suck back an anchovie either as they are usually relatively small for pike bait.

I try to get fish that is fresh at the time and i pound the coarse salt to them and throw them in the freezer, a lot if fish can only be thawed once or they rot pretty quick so i try figure out what i need for the day.

As bill said pike arent usually to picky so if it looks like it might work it probably will.