Another reg. question catch vs. possesion limit

Old Ironmaker

I understand I have a daily catch limit of 50 Perch here on Erie with my Sportsman's license. I can however have 2 daily catch limits of 100 perch per person in my residence. What other zones doe's the possession limit of a fish exceed the daily catch limit?

100 perch in my freezer is a number I would never have. Far too many for us because I don't like keeping anything frozen for more than 4 months, even that is too long for me. We can easily tell the difference between a frozen perch over 1 that is fresh. We have bought frozen perch and Walleye in the middle of the winter in Pt. Dover for a big scarf and there is a huge difference in taste. Like night and day. Both were frozen in water too.

Watch what you buy as Lake Erie Perch, I read somewhere that a well known perch restaurant was advertising " Fresh Lake Erie Perch Dinners " but what what you were getting was not Yellow Perch but White Perch , a big difference in taste.

I've experienced that. Price was to good to be true and it was the biggest perch fillet I've ever seen. Still good fish if it's fresh and prepared right, but not Yellow Perch good.

I understand I have a daily catch limit of 50 Perch here on Erie with my Sportsman's license. I can however have 2 daily catch limits of 100 perch per person in my residence. What other zones doe's the possession limit of a fish exceed the daily catch limit?

Made me run to my recycle for this one... Looking at the 2016 Reg's your zone was the ONLY zone able to 'double up' in two days on what can be kept for perch. Has that changed for 2017, not sure without going through the whole PFD online. Odd that there is NO mention of what white perch limits are...

Edited by GBW

Made me run to my recycle for this one... Looking at the 2016 Reg's your zone was the ONLY zone able to 'double up' in two days on what can be kept for perch. Has that changed for 2017, not sure without going through the whole PFD online. Odd that there is NO mention of what white perch limits are...

Lake Simcoe has 100 possession for perch a few years, Lake Erie just started this in 2015 I believe....these are usually listed in the exceptions for each zone so may require some digging. In this case it is on Page 81 for Zone 16:

Lakes Simcoe, Couchiching, Green River, and their tributaries, the Trent Canal System and its tributaries - downstream from Lake Couchiching to Lock 42, the Trent Canal System in Brock and Ramara Twps., and the Severn River and its tributaries (excluding the Black River) downstream from Lake Couchiching to Wasdell Falls, all within the Regional Municipalities of York, Durham and Simcoe County and The District of Muskoka.

Muskellunge closed all year. Yellow Perch S - 50 in one day, possession limit of 100. Yellow Perch C - 25 in one day, possession limit of 50. Lake Trout open from Jan. 1 - Mar. 15 & 2nd Sat. in May - Sept. 30. Lake Whitefish open from Jan. 1 - Mar. 15 & 2nd Sat. in May - Sept. 30. Lake Whitefish S - 2 and C - 1. Cisco (Lake Herring) open from Jan. 1 - Mar. 15 & 2nd Sat. in May - Sept. 30. Cisco (Lake Herring) S - 2 and C - 1.

Edited by G.mech

Lake Simcoe has 100 possession for perch a few years, Lake Erie just started this in 2016 I believe....these are usually listed in the exceptions for each zone so may require some digging. In this case it is on Page 81 for Zone 16:

Correct, I was skimming the "season and limits" pages without reading the "exceptions" part. I knew Simcoe HAD that but wasn't sure if it was reduced as there was not an * standing out on page 79 to make me look further.

Sure hope that the "well known perch restaurant" wasn't the Erie Beach!

I've never had a bad perch platter there in over 40 years, however the Pickerel dinner I had a taste of a year ago was terrible! I'm glad I ordered the perch...

No, the Erie Beach would never pull a stunt like that.

The Knecktel (sic) family own a number of restaurants in Dover, 4 at least. I have only had yellow perch there. The off tasting perch still had the skin on them and I would venture a guess that they were yellows, big yellows. They may have been white perch though, the scales are very similar. Good point, perch are perch for marketing purposes I imagine. Cheap too at 10 bucks a pound so who knows. Regardless there were no left overs.

So to answer my question Simcoe and Erie are the only exceptions for possession limits to exceed daily limits I take it.

One thing to note is you can have 100 perch in possession in Ontario no matter where they came from as long as you don't have any more than a daily limit from on individual zone. (Lake Simcoe & Lake Erie are exemptions)

It's quite legal for example to have 50 from Lake Huron & 50 from Zone 17 in possession.

I would love to know how a CO could tell what zone a fish came out of. They can't unless they do a DNA test, maybe. All someone needs to say is they are all from Erie, or Simcoe.

Well, let me tell you from personal experience, if you are travelling from one zone to another where posession/slot limits are different, you best have a receipt or something to prove you were at least in the zone you say you were in.

I was coming home from up north(near north bay) one early spring from an icefishing trip. On the way home, we swung by lake simcoe (2 whitefish limit, closed march 15th) to see if we could launch a boat yet for perch, as the ice was coming off. We had 5 whitefish each in the back of the truck that we had caught that morning from the lake up north (limit was 25 each back then, open all year). A CO stopped us and asked to check our gear. No problem....until he saw the whities and instantly assumed they were from simcoe. He went nuts, and didn't believe a word we said about being up north. I had no proof of where we had been. I ended up calling my bank and let the CO talk to them about my last bank withdraws before he would believe us. He thought he had us red handed LOL

S.

100 perch in my freezer is a number I would never have. Far too many for us because I don't like keeping anything frozen for more than 4 months, even that is too long for me. We can easily tell the difference between a frozen perch over 1 that is fresh. We have bought frozen perch and Walleye in the middle of the winter in Pt. Dover for a big scarf and there is a huge difference in taste. Like night and day. Both were frozen in water too.

I no longer freeze my fish in water ever since I got a vacuum packer. . . . and I have had fish that were 2 years old and tasted great. That's the only problem with a chest freezer, is sometimes things fall to the bottom of it and get lost for awhile.

Watch what you buy as Lake Erie Perch, I read somewhere that a well known perch restaurant was advertising " Fresh Lake Erie Perch Dinners " but what what you were getting was not Yellow Perch but White Perch , a big difference in taste.

You also have to watch out what you get when one of my fishing partners gives you fish because he likes to keep everything over the gunnel and then mixes those nasty white perch with yellow perch to give away to people he owes favors to. . . . I have tried to break him of this habit but he is beyond help.

You also have to watch out what you get when one of my fishing partners gives you fish because he likes to keep everything over the gunnel and then mixes those nasty white perch with yellow perch to give away to people he owes favors to. . . . I have tried to break him of this habit but he is beyond help.

I wouldn't mix them, I'd keep the yellows and give the whities away :tease: Don't really get them anyway in the deep water Erie fishery we have at the East End, White Perch seem to be in warmer, shallower, more turbid water. Also have heard of sheephead marketed in fish markets in TO as Yellow Croaker, a salt water fish, lots of fraud in the fish retail market from what I read.

I wouldn't mix them, I'd keep the yellows and give the whities away :tease: Don't really get them anyway in the deep water Erie fishery we have at the East End, White Perch seem to be in warmer, shallower, more turbid water. Also have heard of sheephead marketed in fish markets in TO as Yellow Croaker, a salt water fish, lots of fraud in the fish retail market from what I read.

Many times we get white perch mixed in on Lake Erie in deep water.....they hit a lot harder then yellow perch and fight better too......

His theory is if you mix them in the people will not notice the difference....... :dunno:

Many times we get white perch mixed in on Lake Erie in deep water.....they hit a lot harder then yellow perch and fight better too......

His theory is if you mix them in the people will not notice the difference....... :dunno:

Sure they are not Silver Bass rather than White Perch ? get them quite often offshore Erie, east end.