wood stove question, NF

Raf

i'm relatively new to wood stoves. you are looking at the inside back 'wall' of my wood stove -- a catalytic stove by elmira. is the circled crack reason for concern

can it be fixed? it's maybe 2 inches.

crack.jpg

it's not brick Chris, it's the metal back wall of the stove, in the firebox. The stove does have bricks but they are just on the floor.

The horizontal line is just shadow, no crack there.

I have the door off to replace the gasket.

crack2.jpg

Edited by Raf

I just googled that stove and man did I get results! There's a ton of info along with replacements out there. I didn't read many but it would seem that what you're looking at is something that improves the heat output of the stove while cutting down on the smoke. I got the idea that replacements were under 100.00 but without exact details of what you have/need I can't be sure. Take a bit of time and look it up Raf - y'all might find something interesting and practical for yourself.

Michael

Is that section part of the stove, or removeable Raf? Im sure it,s cast. If that section can be removed,I would think you could get a good stick man to weld it up for you. Just throwing that out there.

i don't think it's removable but may be wrong. i don't know if it's iron or steel either. i understand iron cannot be welded?

If it's any help Raf.

http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/woodstove-parts/ They don't seem to make wood burners anymore but have some parts?

??? Maybe a weld?

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/welding-cast-iron-detail.aspx

I see what looks like a weld with a small gap on either side in your picture? The crack extends to the gap? Cast iron is brittle and prone to cracking?

I'm not sure if the stove cement would hold for to long; not unless you drilled pockets around the crack to give that cement something to grab onto. I think the expansion and contraction of the metal will likely just spit the stuff off?

For the hell of it I called the Elmira Stove works here in London. Told him the model number and he thinks from memory (that stove hasn't been made for a number off years?) that the back wall of the fire box is steel? If so, I would have it welded and if you knew someone with a 110 Mig welder; it could be done right on site.

Yes a 220 mig would be better; but with a bit of prep work (Grinding) on the crack a 100 would be able to seal it up

Dan.

Edited by DanD

A weld is the only thing that will hold any glues do not bond with the metal and will crack up as it goes thru temperature differences. A V shaped grind is needed to expose fresh metal and allow for a broader surface for the filler to bond to. The act of welding is to liquify both the base metal and the filler so it will mix together and cool as a continuous mix of metal.

Art

A weld is the only thing that will hold any glues do not bond with the metal and will crack up as it goes thru temperature differences. A V shaped grind is needed to expose fresh metal and allow for a broader surface for the filler to bond to. The act of welding is to liquify both the base metal and the filler so it will mix together and cool as a continuous mix of metal.

Art

when we used to weld a steel vessel the area to be welded was preheated to prevent any cracking later on.. with expansion and contraction the metal is stressed at any weak points.. I wonder if warming it with a torch before welding would help??