Your favorite meal, snack, in the hut while fishing

npt1

My buds and I used to have great eats during the day when out ice fishing, Turkey stew, chili, cabbage rolls and of course some "wobbly" pops.

Nice to bring food from home and then just re heat it in hut, never had a fish fry on the ice, always saved that for back at the cottage.

Enjoyed a little nap after lunch when the bite slowed down a bit.

Your memories of a hut lunch are????Dinner.jpgDinner.jpg

Great post! Lots of members are extra pumped for the ice this year!

I try to keep it simple. I spend a few nights on nippising each year. So we need to bring a few meals. Usually we plan one night at the pizza joint in Calendar for a dinner and a few pints. Quick and easy walk back to the hut after.

I bring my Coleman grill for the other meals. Chilli is wicked easy to heat up. Usually made with goose meat from the past hunting season.

Irish whiskey.

Lots great memories.

My girlfriend peed inside the hood of her floater suite once... Tragic mistake. I almost died laughing. Literally. I almost died I was laughing so hard. Ive never seen a look of such shame before in my life..

Can't wait for this season! Make some more great memories!

Man as my dear friend Len Malloni (rip) would say " You are a Man after my own heart." Thanks for starting this thread npt1, it should be a good one. Food in the hut and ice fishing is what gravy is to Turkey, cheese is to burgers, eggs are to ham. One is great but even greater with the other. I was always more excited about the breakfasts, lunches and dinners when we stayed on the ice over night as I was excited to catch a fish. We never got skunked when it came to eating, ever.

#1 go to was always a pot of spicy Chile and 1or 2 loaves of round crusty fresh Calabrese bread. That would be for 2 guys. I remember giving a few guys in the hut near us a bowl and they came back and asked how much $ for a second bowl. No charge buddy, enjoy.

#2 was a fish fry from water to pan. Nothing better. I always brought my Wok that I still have had for her 30 years. One pot cooking. A zip lock bag of bread crumbs and a bag of pre mixed eggs with secret spices in it. No need to wash the Wok it is seasoned so well.

#3, Pea Meal, bacon, pre boiled tater home fries,and Calebrese bread toast for breakfast in the AM. Sometimes at 04:00 in the bungalow to soak up all the Crown and Coke.

We never brought Chip, peanuts, popcorn etc. Why fill up on stinky food not good for you when you can have a chunk of good Genoa salami or Prosciutto and a chunk of Asiago, Parmassiano, Fontana or Friulano cheese with crusty Calabrese bread.

Ah man I almost forgot, sausage and peppers in the Wok, and guess with what, a loaf of crusty Calabrese. Calabrese bread was as important as minnows. Ooops almost forgot the zip lock bag of home made roaster red peppers. Nothing like a salszeech and peppers sangwich. Melt some Fontana cheese on it and fergid aboud it.

Then there was the time I breaded and fried up all the dead shiners laying on the ice inside the hut on the last afternoon once and Big Janko my good Hervatski giant of a friend ate them after I had a handful. Actually came out not bad, too much salt maybe. And that meal will never be forgotten. Janko once challenged a CO to race sleds for ownership after a bottle of Stock 84 disappeared before lunch.

I can't wait for our 35 year reunion this winter on Nipissing. We will probably all be in bed by 9.

We are going to miss you Lenny.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I always bring fried bread and chilli.

Here is a dumb story.

About 5 years back a buddy of mine wanted to ice fish at night for ling and walleye.

I was game for an allnighter down at my shack, should be a great time.

He shows up with a case of tallboys and im just thinking "ok, should be a fun walk home in the morning"

We walk down to my shack and get set up. Its pretty friggen cold, -25 or -30 ish. Propane is on and beers are going down good, we get into some decent fishing action around 11pm.

I cant drink like I used too, so after about 6 tall boys I gotta good buzz going.

Its all good times until the propane ran out.

Ah well we got beer right?

So we fish away and she starts gettig pretty darn cold!

Now drunk we decide we better head up. Its probably about 3am

Problem was by the time we were ready to leave, both of us drunk, and we are already frozen

Longest stumble home ever. Falling over gear and such like the 2 idiots we are

We get to my place and the unthaw begins. Not fun at all.

We finished off the case and I slept until like 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

Wife wasnt to happy either as I coukdnt fillet the fish so I just threw a limit of ling and walleye in the fridge as is???

N.A.W. your girl has nothing to be ashamed of. More than 1 guy has more than peed in their survival suit or waders. 2 is better than 1. My wife asked me once this year why Lewis Hamilton a F1 race car driver, pants were brown and looked to be wet when he climbed out of his car after a win. Think about it. Who has ever driven 500 miles without a FULL pit stop? Nascar drivers.

Nothing to be shy about. I have a few crappy stories too.

M2B2 knows all about being to slow to the Johnny on the Spot and coveralls on the job site, eh Rick. I carry a full change of clothes in my golf bag, car, truck and boat and when I was working always spare clothes my office. Plus toilet paper and wet wipes. Maybe it Depends.

How have I scewed this thread? Sorry, again but it is funny.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Rick, you forget. Last winter you started a thread about not making it to the facilities on the site with your bibs on. You were battling a stomach virus at the time. I'm not going to go find it and I might not remember names, even members of my family names and forget dates but I remember stories because sometimes I plagiarize them. I nearly peed myself laughing with you not at you. It was in very concise detail. You even had a pic of you on the job site. When you have good stories you have to have a good memory. You might not remember but I do. I remember all the Depends jokes from the guys. Ricky!!

Rick, you forget. Last winter you started a thread about not making it to the facilities on the site with your bibs on. You were battling a stomach virus at the time. I'm not going to go find it and I might not remember names, even members of my family names and forget dates but I remember stories because sometimes I plagiarize them. I nearly peed myself laughing with you not at you. It was in very concise detail. You even had a pic of you on the job site. When you have good stories you have to have a good memory. You might not remember but I do. I remember all the Depends jokes from the guys. Ricky!!

I remember now bud! I was just searching pics and found the one that was probably posted???

I stand half hunched over and corrected???

I think that was at the solar project if im not mistaken

Only that Bruce? Geoff, Mr. Noodles? Dave, chocolate bars and tea?

I would be happy to fish with each and everyone of you folks, just remind me to bring the food. Chocolate bars? Come on Dave. You would be what we swarthy olive skinned garlic scented Mediterranean's would be referred to as "Manga Cakes". And it doesn't translate as cake eaters either as most second generation Italians and other Canadians might think it means. Manga means eat and Cake has been morphed from another word entirely. Bruce knows the word.

Bruce you bring the salamutti's and I'll bring the Calabrese bread and home made red. It won't freeze.

Geoff, Mr. Noodles?

Yeah cause it's so easy to boil water and wait. HAHA

We had a G2G a few years ago on Scugog (another site set it up) and we had a great meal! "shore lunch" of crappie and walleye on the ice. AND a lot of fried wings in a homemade hot sauce that was just amazing!! The food depends on the day, length of trip and who all is going. I'd love to be sitting in a hut with maple bacon cooking on low while fishing cause the smell it would leave in the hut and the sure joy of eating maple bacon... :D

You can remember what you weighed at 9:03 am central time 19 years ago because tonies brother was there right after his speeding ticket he got when they finally put up the school zone signs on the uppers eastern side of the old mill, i know it was the old mill because robs sister jenn was the bookkeeper at that time???

I sent ya a pm this morning to mah friend!

Edited by manitoubass2

Remind me to get out fishing with you some day. No Cup A Noodles or chocolate bars. Home made Asian soup with shrimp and real Angel Hair noodles is just as easy Geoff, believe me.

Will do and sounds good. I just worry about the 'spill' factor on most soups unless it's in a can or sealed like Mr N is and just add water. I've had the toboggan tip behind a sled or even walking (going down a grade from shore to ice).

Edited by GBW