Operation Smitty

Dutch01

We bring a LOT of gear on the ice, especially for out of shape middle aged walkers. So this year I decided no more, I'm building a Smitty. Well, actually two Smitties. I told you we bring a lot didn't I? Just off the top of my head:

2 Pelican 60 sleds

2 popup shelters

2 heaters

Gas auger

Manual auger

Foam floor panels

Chairs

Shovel

Spud

Minnow buckets

Fish finder

And the list goes on....

So I'm almost done Smitty1. I'm totally not handy, so I'm actually pretty happy with it I have to say.

Here's a few pics:

FEDCF5C8-5AF3-4160-99CF-76081FC457DA_zps

575AD3B4-3BAC-453B-A5DF-79EB0059EA9F_zps

I'll post an update when I get some more done. I sure hope after all this effort it pulls nice on the ice....

Dara, I'm pulling it by hand so the Pelican sleds build up a wedge of snow and take a lot of effort. Now that it's on skis it *should* pull with minimal effort.

John, we got lucky and got those skis free so I wasn't complaining about the brand. Funny story though, one of them still had a binding on it and after an hour we gave up trying to remove it. Went to the ski shop and they removed it for me n/c. They had a good laugh though, they took pictures and sent them to the binding company asking to submit it for a warranty claim!

This has been a fun way to help the time pass while waiting for ice.

Edited by Dutch01

OK, I see, I generally don't have to pull by hand and if I do its only a hundred yards or so with a beaten path.

Looks good, I wish you luck with it.

May want a bit of a brace from the ski up to centre of crosser though..If you load it that heavy I can see it going sideways

Lookin' good, D01.

I'm planning on building 1 myself.

Suggestions for #2---(1)move the supports closer to the rear so the tips of the skis can flex more to ride on the snow. (2)lighten the weight a bit by using smaller X beams. I'm considering using old hockey stick handles for mine. Your load may be bulky but not very heavy, apart from the gas auger.

Lookin' good, D01.

I'm planning on building 1 myself.

Suggestions for #2---(1)move the supports closer to the rear so the tips of the skis can flex more to ride on the snow. (2)lighten the weight a bit by using smaller X beams. I'm considering using old hockey stick handles for mine. Your load may be bulky but not very heavy, apart from the gas auger.

Good ideas thanks. I used 2x6 for crossers so I could use 4 anchor pins per crosser. I actually do put a fair bit of weight in them. The list above doesn't include rods, tackle, BEER, or the two five gallon pails of minnows!

I like the idea of hockey sticks for a light run and gun sled though, I might just build one of those too!

From one smitty builder to another, good first time

BUT

You have alot of tip. One thing I have seen happen when guys have that much tip sticking out and weight, they seem to snap when you go over an obstical, More when your trying to get on the ice. So if you have a foot or two drop, the tips will hit first and theres where you will snap the tips of the skis. Just remember to take the load off the front when doing so. Keep the ski tips up til your on solid flat.

Edited by Brian B

Great job Dutch,I built mine I think two year ago now. Not a flinch,be careful on clear ice,she'll run into the back of you or try to head south lol. Amazing difference in snow.

I was actually wondering about how it would work on the ice. I thought maybe ice would be hard on the skis, hadn't thought about it rear ending me!

From one smitty builder to another, good first time

BUT

You have alot of tip. One thing I have seen happen when guys have that much tip sticking out and weight, they seem to snap when you go over an obstical, More when your trying to get on the ice. So if you have a foot or two drop, the tips will hit first and theres where you will snap the tips of the skis. Just remember to take the load off the front when doing so. Keep the ski tips up til your on solid flat.

Good to know, I'll make sure to let 'er down gently so to speak. Thanks.