Electricity costs explained - NF

Jds63

Seeing the bill won't help. As I explained earlier, rates in the past didn't cover the cost of providing the electricity; I consider that a discount. Now, in addition to paying for the cost of electricity, we have to pay a debt retirement charge to offset the artificially low rates (aka discount) that previous customers received.

Since about the time that the McGuinty/Wynne Liberals have been in power.

Debt retirement charge means loan payment.

Do people pay for cash for their house?

No, they spread the payments out over a few years.

Thats what we did with the electricity plants.

I would prefer to save the money and pay cash but governments don't do that.

The same as when we got smart meters. They borrowed the money for them to pay back over 10 years instead of saving for 5 and paying cash instead of a bunch of interest.

The same as our city just converting all the street lights to LED to save money. They claim it cost $10 million and with the super power savings and reduced maintenance costs the new lights will be paid for in 20 years. I believe that one was at kathleens urging.

Anyway..we did manage to get 5 deer last week...fun times

I'm not particularly fond of any political party but do some of you guys honestly think that should the conservatives make their way into power your going to see your bills plummet to something you find reasonable? Do you really, honestly believe that?

The truth of the matter is that OPG, Hydro 1, and their predecessor, Ontario Hydro, have been yanked about for political purposes by all parties over the years. e.g.(another Liberal one, granted, but Mikey and the boys had a good kick at it too)---a big part of the cost overruns from Darlington was due to Peterson putting the station on hold after much of the major eqpt had been bought. It didn't take long to run up the bills with interest rates we had in the 80's.

The TVO article that was posted back there in post 26 was informative, the first post article merely provocative.

Edited by SirCranksaLot

I hope you folks haven't forgotten about the carbon tax that takes effect on Jan 1! Expect your hydro rates to climb just based on that... not to mention the rise in costs at the pumps.

I recall a phone call I made to my MPP when the carbon tax was announced. I was told that we the consumers would not even notice the tax, it would be absorbed by the corporations... surprise surprise!

HH

I hope you folks haven't forgotten about the carbon tax that takes effect on Jan 1! Expect your hydro rates to climb just based on that... not to mention the rise in costs at the pumps.

I recall a phone call I made to my MPP when the carbon tax was announced. I was told that we the consumers would not even notice the tax, it would be absorbed by the corporations... surprise surprise!

HH

There should be little to no carbon tax on electricity.

Nothing on the nuclear, nothing on the hydro, nothing on wind and solar, so just a tad on clean burning natural gas...lets see how this comes out

There should be little to no carbon tax on electricity.

Nothing on the nuclear, nothing on the hydro, nothing on wind and solar, so just a tad on clean burning natural gas...lets see how this comes out

I think you're right on that Hydro should not be affected much. Our Enbridge/Union Gas/Put fuel in the vehicles bills however....

I don't understand why there doesn't appear to be much opposition to the carbon tax..

Edited by Raf

Well, when they fire up the gas generators to meet peak power needs, like a cold snap or a heat wave, I'm pretty sure that we will see that added to our bill.

Raf, there isn't much opposition to the carbon tax because I believe that most folks don't even know it is coming! They're gonna find out quick when industry starts to leave the province more often then they already have... and let's not forget that the feds are doing the same thing!

I think the lack of opposition is because its a Lieberal initiative and we now understand that when they come up with a brainwave it WILL be Rammed down our throats no matter what...they will just apologize later and it will all be ok

Well, when they fire up the gas generators to meet peak power needs, like a cold snap or a heat wave, I'm pretty sure that we will see that added to our bill.

Raf, there isn't much opposition to the carbon tax because I believe that most folks don't even know it is coming! They're gonna find out quick when industry starts to leave the province more often then they already have... and let's not forget that the feds are doing the same thing!

I know it's coming!

HH, if you want to see how much it will cost get a hold of a copy of "Ontario's Five Year Climate Change Action Plan 2016- 2020" @

ontario.ca/climatechange

West Lincoln was doomed the day they announced plans for the new St Catharines hospital. At the time nobody wanted to believe that. West Lincoln's board knew and kept their mouths shut, and kept fundraising for a new hospital in spite of that. That way they kept their nice plumb positions. That plan you get to thank McGuinty for. Wynne was merely the messenger of a done deal.

I'm sure Hudak wouldn't have cancelled the hospital in his home riding if the PC's had won the election , so , regardless of what you say, we will still blame the Liberals for the loss in this riding as evidenced by the recent bye election results with the lieberals coming in a distant third .

• 3 weeks later...

It was explained like this to an old timer. "We send all the electricity down the line. Some of it gets used by each house and business that the lines pass by, leaving a little bit less going down the lines after each user. You are at the end of the line, so you pay for all the electricity that we send down the line that the others don't use. That's why your bill is so high."