new fishfinder help.....need some insight

bow slayer

I picked up my helix 7 gps combo this morning from the St.thomas Canadian tire. I got them to hold it for me last thursday until I could get in and thank god I did they told they could of sold it 6 times yesterday alone. They still have a few other units left on clearance including an Elite 5 chirp. When I was checking other stores the Kitchener west store had a hummingbird 488 ci combo on for 244 which was also very tempting.

The lowrance transducers have many different ones and the older units are not compatible even to the point of gen 2 to gen 3.

FromLowrance website

Sonar Technology

CHIRP

CHIRP sonar is cutting edge echosounder technology. Unlike the single frequency of the Broadband Sounder technology, CHIRP continuously sweeps a spectrum of frequencies. Sweeping frequencies makes two improvements to the sonar image:

• Better target separation- Because CHIRP uses a range of frequencies, rather than a single pulse, CHIRP sonar greatly improves the ability to distinguish fish targets that are very close together or on the bottom. Fish become easier to differentiate from the structure they are holding to.
  • Less interference from errant noise that would have been picked up by a single frequency sonar. CHIRP creates a unique range of frequencies and listens for only those sonar returns, this gives CHIRP sonar the ability to distinguish between what is a real echo, and what is just extra disturbances bouncing around underwater.

Broadband Sounder™

Single frequency sonar—also referred to as Broadband—is commonly annotated as 50kHz, 83kHz, or 200kHz. Broadband is essential sonar technology at its finest. Broadband relies on pings and echoes from a single frequency. This technology is great for tracking bottom, finding schools of baitfish, displaying predator fish, and bait tracking.

StructureScan® 3D

StructureScan 3D features a multi-beam sonar technology ─ powered by an increased number of transducer receiving elements ─ to create high-resolution, 180-degree, three-dimensional images of underwater structure and bottom contours. Transmitting at 455 kHz, the transducer not only produces tru-to-life, three-dimensional images, but also boosts the performance of two dimensional DownScan and StructureScan HD imaging. StructureScan 3D scans can reach up to 600 feet to either side of the boat, for both 3D and 2D SideScan. It scans depths of up to 300-foot for two dimensional DownScan™ Imaging.

StructureScan® HD

StructureScan HD allows users to scan an area with a very high frequency signal, producing picture-like images. 455 and 800kHz frequency selections allow users to choose between 455 for scanning great ranges, and 800 for close-in, higher resolution detail. StructureScan HD literally turns the sonar paradigm on its side with the ability to search to the left and right of your boat rather than only below. StuctureScan HD imagery can be overlaid on top of cartography for a detailed, up-to-date view of structure in relation to your position. Called StructureMap™,this is excellent way to find underwater structure and changes in bottom layout.

SpotlightScan®

SpotlightScan is boater-controlled directional sonar that allows anglers to scan an area they are interested in fishing while on approach. For use with cable-steer trolling motors, it aims two sonar signals similar to StructureScan HD in a specific direction. An angler can view productive fish-holding spots, such as drop-offs, channels, and underwater structure, before positioning a boat over top of them making it easier to find and cast to fish.

Art

I'm not much of a techie re cell phones but I have been told that they work as a GPS even when you are out of cell phone range. With the Navionics app might render a GPS on the FF redundant.

Nah man.

Although it will work on occasion, your cell phones GPS is not reliable and its downright dangerous to depend on.

That and running navionics app on your phone the battery is toast in a few hours at best

Edited by manitoubass2

Yeah and I'm 99.99% sure it will have one. The one (mark4) I got had all I needed

If he uses the older one it might not provide the full functionality the new unit offers. What if the old ran on 550mzh and the new on 950mhz... I honestly feel 100% secure that his new one will have all he needs but may need to do a full swap on the hardware. Most transducer mounting brackets are the same so that's one less step if so...

You were right! I bought it on-line and picked it up a couple of days ago. The pic shows what was included. I guess it was possible, but not very likely, that the unit was sold w/o a Xducer. For the price listed i would not have been surprised.

IMG_0102r.jpg

There's a reason all helix units are being sold off at less than half. Even the new onyx units are junk. Same rule applies you get what you pay for. It's on clearance for a reason

I have a Lowrance Elite 7 chirp on the front of my boat. Also junk. Processor is so slow loses position at low speeds while navigating and take time to lock back in

They all work depends on your expectations. Down imaging for me is key.

Edited by Bondar

I just bought a Lowrance Elite-5 hdi combo with base map and transducer from Gander Mountain in Erie Pa for 170.00. In addition Gander Mtn. also gave a 20.00 Gdr Mtn. cash certificate that can be used starting 11/27 for most items. This unit can also be bought on line through their website's black Friday deals. Field & Stream stores also has great deals on the Lowrance hook-7. I would have bought the hook-7 but I am making the Elite-5 into a portable unit.

Seanik

Edited by seanik

What's the best fish finder on the market in your opinion? Budget is not an issue and I am looking to upgrade my elite 4x after my buddy was marking lakers chasing me that my finder didnt even pick up... If it wasn't for him yelling to reel I would have missed out on 4 solid fish that day.

Something wrong there. Either you didn't have your settings right, or your transducer is pooched. The Elite 4 will mark fish all day long in any depth.

S.

There's a reason all helix units are being sold off at less than half. Even the new onyx units are junk. Same rule applies you get what you pay for. It's on clearance for a reason

I have a Lowrance Elite 7 chirp on the front of my boat. Also junk. Processor is so slow loses position at low speeds while navigating and take time to lock back in

They all work depends on your expectations. Down imaging for me is key.

Do you actually own Onix? Excellent units if properly installed and you learn how to use them :)

yup, if you cant see a 1/4 oz jig 100ft down something is wrong

setting or

transducer.

could be interference

or heavy current too

Yes, in some cases it may not mark your jig down that far. Especially if there is a current, or your jig goes off to one side or the other of your hole as it drops down, or even your transducer not sitting straight down, but it should be marking fish no matter what. I have heard some people have trouble with the settings on these units, but I have only ran lowrance, so I am pretty familiar with the settings to make it work best. I find once you figure out how to set it up, you can't go wrong, and the bird units don't have near the setting to dial things in as accurate as a lowrance IMO.

S.

Yes, in some cases it may not mark your jig down that far. Especially if there is a current, or your jig goes off to one side or the other of your hole as it drops down, or even your transducer not sitting straight down, but it should be marking fish no matter what. I have heard some people have trouble with the settings on these units, but I have only ran lowrance, so I am pretty familiar with the settings to make it work best. I find once you figure out how to set it up, you can't go wrong, and the bird units don't have near the setting to dial things in as accurate as a lowrance IMO.

S.

I have had trouble setting up my Mark 5. I suspect many others have had probs setting up the Lowrance FF. Maybe you can post what settings you use----maybe in a new thread? thx

you can try this for ELITE-5 ...............not my setting but this worked for many people

(follow the EXACT order):

Reset all settings:
Menu/Menu/System/Restore Defaults

Run Wizard -
Lakes - yes
Ice Fishing - no (EVEN IF YOU ARE USING THE UNIT FOR ICE FISHING. SAY "NO"!!!!!)
less than 60 feet - no
Advanced - yes

Menu/Settings/Sonar:
Mode - Deep water
Noise Rejection - off/lowest
Surface Clarity - off
MANUAL MODE - YES

Menu:
AUTO SENSIVITY - off
Range/Custom- (Set to the depth range you want) (or AUTO Range)
Frequency - 200 (83 if there are people close by)
Ping - fastest

Menu/Sonar Options/Color:
Iceview

Menu/Adjust:
Sensitivity - 100 (then reduce it if too much noise)
Colorline - 82/84 - lure is just starting to turn blue

Menu/Menu/System/Advanced Mode - yes

Double check all setting to make sure none of them changed back.

It's really weird because I'd mark my jig perfectly fine, would pick up my jigs/ and subtle movements and then from no where my buddy would yell to reel and show me the chase mark on his finder after the fact. I'd mark the fish peeling off bottom eventually too but my mark was always delayed... maybe he has a fast processor or something idk but I guess I'll try a new ducer as mentioned... if not I'll just grab a Marcum