2019-2020 Hockey Thread

sens played well...I was chuckling to myself when matthews scored there I could just imagine Matt thinking "crap this is gonna be brutal for a week on the forums"

But good old reliable Jake gardiner just sat and watched as zietsev gave the puck away...didnt back up his partner at all, and then both of them proceeded to allow stone to not only shoot, but then also collect his own rebound and bury it.

How does that happen off of a face off draw. You have two guys totally back and you win the draw and the puck ends up in your own net??? Ive seen that ish happen in beer league and its a complete disgrace, we lose our minds on our D men when it happens...but this is the friggin NHL!

I play defense and the one thing you never ever ever do is when your D partner has the puck, you dont ever provide the opposition the opportunity to take the puck away from them and go on a breakaway. You expect a weird bounce or a fanned pass to happen ahead of time so that when your partner inevitably gets a bad bounce under pressure you are already back so that stone doesn't have a chance to walk in all alone, he got the puck off of your partner but now he also has to go through you.

That play made me so friggin mad, I always kind of stood up for Gardiner, but now im just realizing the guy is a liability. Man the leafs need to upgrade their defense something fierce if they even hope to have a glimmer of a chance. Rumour mill says they are gonna scoop up vlasic...makes a lot of sense 30 year old, stay at home defenceman, played on team canada and had the second most minutes over the last olympics, babcock absolutely loves him.

And lets get serious, the leafs have plenttttyyy of fire power up front, id rather have a defensive core of 6 guys that never score but allow a lot less goals against than a bunch of morgan riellys and jake gardiners.

Edited by AKRISONER

sens played well...I was chuckling to myself when matthews scored there I could just imagine Matt thinking "crap this is gonna be brutal for a week on the forums"

But good old reliable Jake gardiner just sat and watched as zietsev gave the puck away...didnt back up his partner at all, and then both of them proceeded to allow stone to not only shoot, but then also collect his own rebound and bury it.

How does that happen off of a face off draw. You have two guys totally back and you win the draw and the puck ends up in your own net??? Ive seen that ish happen in beer league and its a complete disgrace, we lose our minds on our D men when it happens...but this is the friggin NHL!

I play defense and the one thing you never ever ever do is when your D partner has the puck, you dont ever provide the opposition the opportunity to take the puck away from them and go on a breakaway. You expect a weird bounce or a fanned pass to happen ahead of time so that when your partner inevitably gets a bad bounce under pressure you are already back so that stone doesn't have a chance to walk in all alone, he got the puck off of your partner but now he also has to go through you.

That play made me so friggin mad, I always kind of stood up for Gardiner, but now im just realizing the guy is a liability. Man the leafs need to upgrade their defense something fierce if they even hope to have a glimmer of a chance. Rumour mill says they are gonna scoop up vlasic...makes a lot of sense 30 year old, stay at home defenceman, played on team canada and had the second most minutes over the last olympics, babcock absolutely loves him.

And lets get serious, the leafs have plenttttyyy of fire power up front, id rather have a defensive core of 6 guys that never score but allow a lot less goals against than a bunch of morgan riellys and jake gardiners.

I actually did say "crap" and yes a huge sigh of relief was given when the Sens went ahead by 2 goals again. The Sens depth across all positions was clear and as you said the laffs D is brutal.

Polak.....really.....he is the answer????? bahhahahaha :clapping: Good luck with that :whistling:

It was a one sided game and your defense and goaltending was the problem.

Our defense and goaltending made your forwards look average.

I was talking to a buddy and we agree that the laffs need 3 top 3 D and number one goalie to be in the position to compete for the cup. The problem is you will never get them without giving up big pieces of your forward rebuilding unit.

That, and you need teams willing to give up these pieces.

I don't see that happening.

Ok. Let's not go crazy now.

I honestly think one bug shutdown defender would make a huge difference on the Leafs blueline.

Someone like how Jason Smith or Glen Wesley used to be. Problem is, I can't think of who that is in the modern NHL. I'm sure they are out there but the only players from other teams that get notice are puck moving, goal scoring defencemen. We don't need those.

Ok. Let's not go crazy now.

I honestly think one bug shutdown defender would make a huge difference on the Leafs blueline.

Someone like how Jason Smith or Glen Wesley used to be. Problem is, I can't think of who that is in the modern NHL. I'm sure they are out there but the only players from other teams that get notice are puck moving, goal scoring defencemen. We don't need those.

enter Cam Fowler, Marc Edoird Vlasic....they exist, they just dont get the press because they dont score, they also dont let other teams score either.

cant say i agree with your goalie comment matt...throw carey price infront of that D core and he will get scored on.

Nothing about Nylander and Matthew's goals were "average"...very far from it.

The trap can only get you so far, as we saw last year...you can get close but never actually complete the task unless its pre-lock out and you are the new jersey devils.

enter Cam Fowler, Marc Edoird Vlasic....they exist, they just dont get the press because they dont score, they also dont let other teams score either.

cant say i agree with your goalie comment matt...throw carey price infront of that D core and he will get scored on.

Nothing about Nylander and Matthew's goals were "average"...very far from it.

The trap can only get you so far, as we saw last year...you can get close but never actually complete the task unless its pre-lock out and you are the new jersey devils.

So you think a double overtime loss of game seven in the conference finals to the repeating cup champs is "only getting so far"?

And Sidney Crosby all over the winning goal! Had we won that game I fully believe the cup was ours. We gave the Pens a whole lot more trouble than Nashville did.

I think Price is done, that's why the habs are 1-6-1. Now the weak and small habs players are being totally exposed and Price isn't saving the day every day!

Actually not winning the cup is the definition of 'only so far'

nailed it

its tough to beat trapping teams, but eventually a team good enough comes along and wins it...remember how pittsburgh was able to win the cup with a crappy D core and an average goaltender...thats how good they are.

Sens have karlson...and a great system. Aside from that nothing stands out about them. Hence they never win.

A bunch of 20 goal scorers an elite top line does not make.

Gotta hand it to Ottawa. They hung in there. Would of been nice to see Marnier tie it up, but thats how it goes.

I don't know, for whatever reason the Leafs offense couldn't get rushing and checking, maybe it was Dion's defensive wizardry, hahhaha

Pretty cool, that's 2 high flying teams from the west (Kings, Hawks) the Buds have managed to beat.

Edited by chris.brock

Yip.

Also who won in the sens/Kings game?

Sens were all over the Kings. How that game wasn't 5-1 Ottawa is beyond me. Condon left the net to play the puck behind the net and had a brain fart and gave the puck away. 2 seconds later it was a tie game with 90 seconds to go. I was pulling my freaking hair out screaming at Condon.

That was our game.

But we still got a point and have only 1 regulation time loss so far.

Some periods of really dominant hockey from the Sens.

You aren't going to win the cup playing the neutral zone trap, lol.

I disagree with your view of a neutral zone trap. The Sens have forward who are extremely aggressive in all zones and defense are doing their job keeping the opposing forwards out.

Jersey had a trap, what you see in Ottawa is responsible defensive playing.

Sens were all over the Kings. How that game wasn't 5-1 Ottawa is beyond me. Condon left the net to play the puck behind the net and had a brain fart and gave the puck away. 2 seconds later it was a tie game with 90 seconds to go. I was pulling my freaking hair out screaming at Condon.

That was our game.

But we still got a point and have only 1 regulation time loss so far.

Some periods of really dominant hockey from the Sens.

the reason they dont win is because you have a bunch of 3rd liners on the first line.

Yeah ok!!

LOL :wallbash::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Here Matt, because you are too lazy to actually check the stat lines for your fave team ill do you a favour....lets play a game, show me a single top line forward out of these guys?

Ouch....how you can even stand to watch these guys try score is beyond me..if i wanted to spend my evenings watching guys struggle to score id go to the bar with my friends

Ryan Dzingel

2016-17 Ottawa Senators NHL 81 14 18 32

Kyle Turris

2015-16 Ottawa Senators NHL 57 13 17 30 32 -15 -- -- -- -- -- 2016-17 Ottawa Senators NHL 78 27 28 55

Bobby Ryan

2015-16 Ottawa Senators NHL 81 22 34 56 28 -9 -- -- -- -- -- 2016-17 Ottawa Senators NHL 62 13 12 25

Nate Thompson

2014-15 Anaheim Ducks NHL 80 5 13 18 39 0 12 2 4 6 6 2015-16 Anaheim Ducks NHL 49 3 3 6

Mark Stone

2015-16 Ottawa Senators NHL 75 23 38 61 38 -4 -- -- -- -- -- 2016-17 Ottawa Senators NHL 71 22 32 54

Derick Brassard

2015-16 New York Rangers NHL 80 27 31 58 30 12 5 1 3 4 0 2016-17 Ottawa Senators NHL 81 14 25 39

Alex Burrows

2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 79 9 13 22 49 -13 -- -- -- -- -- 2016-17

Vancouver Canucks

NHL 55 9 11 20

Edited by AKRISONER

What you and every laff fan fail to recognize is that two way players keep the score low due to responsible two way defensive play.

The Sens have solid depth and guys that can put the puck in the net. Those guys took us to within one goal of a Stanley cup final last year, that I believe we would have won.

Ugh, why I even bother trying to talk hockey structure to fans whos team has given them nothing but letdowns for 50 years is beyond me.

It's like trying herd cats!

Can't be done! :stretcher::dunno: