2019-2020 Hockey Thread

Can't wait to hear Don cherry on that McQuaid fight! Should be a 5 minute major for agreeing to fight with a visor on. Martin didn't jump him. McQuaid agreed then waited until Martin's helmet pops off to deliver a solid punch. McQuaid ran Mathews in order to precipitate the fight. Cheap shot artist!

Can't wait to hear Don cherry on that McQuaid fight! Should be a 5 minute major for agreeing to fight with a visor on. Martin didn't jump him. McQuaid agreed then waited until Martin's helmet pops off to deliver a solid punch. McQuaid ran Mathews in order to precipitate the fight. Cheap shot artist!

He has an "eye injury" lol. But he fights like 5 times a year.

Should be and extra 5 for not dropping the helmet when you agree to fight

He has an "eye injury" lol. But he fights like 5 times a year.

Should be and extra 5 for not dropping the helmet when you agree to fight

It would make sense to drop the buckets before fighting but to stop that the league implemented an immediate additional 2 minute minor on top of a 5 minute major I believe, I remember a couple seasons ago 2 guys went to fight and nicely removed eachothers helmets before fighting to circumvent the rule ???

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-new-york-islanders-brett-gallant-fights-with-new-jersey-devils-krys-barch-remove-helmets-loophole/

Edited by Lucas F

It would make sense to drop the buckets before fighting but to stop that the league implemented an immediate additional 2 minute minor on top of a 5 minute major I believe, I remember a couple seasons ago 2 guys went to fight and nicely removed eachothers helmets before fighting to circumvent the rule ???

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-new-york-islanders-brett-gallant-fights-with-new-jersey-devils-krys-barch-remove-helmets-loophole/

Yeah. It came from doods blocking heads off the ice I believe Edited by manitoubass2

it'll be interesting to see how they address the defenseman role. not only is drafting one tough, it takes years to develop into that 1/2 role. how many drafted defensemen are ready for the big 1/2 minutes in the 1st 3 years after drafted -- i can't think of any. not like forwards anyway. look at rielly, ekblad, ryan murray, hannifin, all high draft picks that took or will take a while to get there.

find me someone thats willing to trade a top D man for a winger?

The media really loves to get us all worked up for nothing.

I challenge anyone on this entire forum to tell me the last time that a young top pairing D man was moved for anything but another D man.

The last trade like this was hall for larsson...ya....so forget about it.

As good as nylander is, no one and i repeat not a single team in the league will trade anything worth close to his value as a D man to the leafs...the leafs management is smart enough to figure that out.

Remember guys this isnt a 3 year plan, its a 5 year plan to get back into contention. Everyone is talking like they need to secure a D man so that they can win the cup next year. No one is going anywhere. At this point I dont even think they'd trade JVR

find me someone thats willing to trade a top D man for a winger?

The media really loves to get us all worked up for nothing.

I challenge anyone on this entire forum to tell me the last time that a young top pairing D man was moved for anything but another D man.

The last trade like this was hall for larsson...ya....so forget about it.

As good as nylander is, no one and i repeat not a single team in the league will trade anything worth close to his value as a D man to the leafs...the leafs management is smart enough to figure that out.

Remember guys this isnt a 3 year plan, its a 5 year plan to get back into contention. Everyone is talking like they need to secure a D man so that they can win the cup next year. No one is going anywhere. At this point I dont even think they'd trade JVR

I know no one liked him when he played for the leafs, but when Phaneuf was traded to Toronto, he was arguably a #2 guy (Although he dropped to 3 or 4 on the franchise) and the leafs got him for Hagman........ shoot the other two guys were so bad I legit don't remember who they were.

Anyways, deals like that are doable just rare. Not saying its a lock that Nylander will get traded for a D man, but anything is possible.

Nothing wrong with Nylander, I don't see why they'd ship him out when they can develop one?

Did you see him barking at an assistant coach the other night when he tried to correct something the kid had done on the last shift. He sat a couple of shifts for the "attitude". Not sure how coachable he is and you'll never know publicly. If he's traded that'll be the reason not his ability.

This management group isn't going to trade away the future. If they do a trade, it'll be to get something back that will fill a void for the long term. They're no doubt 5 steps ahead and know already who's available in the draft based on their picks and who'll be shopping players in May. They haven't made any glaring mistakes so far...speculate away but they seem to have things well in hand. lol

My only gripe re Nylander is that he is soft and I don't see him getting "harder" with time. Think Hammerstrom, but with better hands and shot.

HH

you must really dislike patrick kane and gretzky then??

you dont need everyone to be "hard"

the kids 19...i had a pretty big mouth when i was 19 too

Edited by AKRISONER

I won't rise to your bait as it seems pretty obvious how easy that would be....

Comparing Nylander to either of those players is a bit of a stretch! LOL

To be clearer, my concern with Nylander is that when things start getting tighter, as the season progresses, he's going to find less room and time and he is going to slowly disappear.

He needs to get stronger/bigger and he needs to develop are tougher approach to playing or he is going to get crushed, should the Leafs ever make the playoffs.

HH

I won't rise to your bait as it seems pretty obvious how easy that would be....

Comparing Nylander to either of those players is a bit of a stretch! LOL

To be clearer, my concern with Nylander is that when things start getting tighter, as the season progresses, he's going to find less room and time and he is going to slowly disappear.

He needs to get stronger/bigger and he needs to develop are tougher approach to playing or he is going to get crushed, should the Leafs ever make the playoffs.

HH

comparing nylander to kane is not a stretch at all actually

if you want me to tone it back...johnny hockey? whats that? willy is beating him in the stats department? lets put some things in perspective here guys

what if i said that william nylander is better than nathan mckinnon, joe thornton, alex steen, johnathan drouin, matt duechene, thomas vanek, anze kopitar, henrik sedin, scott hartnell and john toews just to name some names?

well considering the fact that the kid is playing his rookie season and is outscoring every single one of those players and quite significantly for many of those players...maybe just maybe then you will realize what the hell you are saying.

take away marner and matthews for a second and people would be calling willy the second coming of sundin...you dont throw a 20 year old with that kind of talent away cause his "attitude stinks" give me a friggin break.

Most of the players you mention have been through the grind and have playoff experience. They have learned what it takes to be successful individually as well as part of team.

I'm not suggesting that the Leafs trade him, I am however suggesting that he needs to be tougher in order to continue to progress as a player. I don't think I said trade him anywhere?!

Comparing Nylander to Kane is a huge stretch... and take a breathe man, no one wants you to hurt yourself! LOL

HH

Most of the players you mention have been through the grind and have playoff experience. They have learned what it takes to be successful individually as well as part of team.

I'm not suggesting that the Leafs trade him, I am however suggesting that he needs to be tougher in order to continue to progress as a player. I don't think I said trade him anywhere?!

Comparing Nylander to Kane is a huge stretch... and take a breathe man, no one wants you to hurt yourself! LOL

HH

kinda hard to get playoff experience when its february of your rookie year?

kinda hard to get playoff experience when its february of your rookie year?

Which is why I was questioning your comparison to more experienced players.... he has potential, no doubt about that. All I was doing was pointing out what I think he needs to do to reach his real potential.

HH