We should not need to fear driving in the early hours of the morning. FR

misfish

I am an early morning guy that likes to be on the road in the early hours of the morning when Im going fishing. I enjoy getting to my spot nice and early and enjoy my time and want to arrive safe. I always have in the back of my mind, there is probly someone driving under the influance.

This morning my fear was a reality. I could see this high beam coming towards me. I blink the highs as a reminder to go low. Nothing. Then I noticed a bit of side to side. I slow down and pull over to the dirt side of the road. Then out of the blue behind the driver, the blue/red lights start to flash. Mr. police man is on him. ( how long did he follow him) I have no idea if this person was impaired or not, Could of been fatige. I cant judge.

All I want is to go fishing, and arrive alive and get home alive.

Edited by Brian B

It's ridiculous how some people still feel they can get away from DUI. Another danger posed to early morning drives are deer or wild turkey. Somehow, these two animals can be pretty dumb hanging around the side of the road. There's mixed feelings on the effectiveness with deer whistles, but I'd rather lean on the side of caution.

Drive safe everyone.

Forget about rush hour traffic bumper to bumper on the 401 doing 125 the most perilous roads are from 2AM to 5AM on country roads, either they are all bombed out of their minds or dead tired at that time. I hardly ever drive at dark now unless absolutely necessary. Be careful and extra careful in the wee hours of the morning.

Most important thing is that nothing bad happened (to you anyway) in this case. Heard on the radio that there are twice as many people killed by distracted drivers as there are by impaired drivers every year. They need to make the penalties MUCH tougher for distracted drivers!

also---whenever possible avoid driving in moose country at night.

I try to avoid the late night drives for that reason but when I need to drive at that hour of the night I follow a semi-truck at a respectable distance. My theory is that the moose would need to jump in between the truck and my vehicle. So far so good!

last night driving home from the lake on the 400 just south of parry sound a very tired trucker nodded off and came halfway into my lane squeezing me onto the inside shoulder...

i was also side swiped last winter by another trucker who then proceeded to hit and run me.

Such is life on the highways, its just the risk we take...sad but true.

Last fall arrived on the scene of a moose strike on a BMW X5

the front grill was touching the windshield....ugly.

Edited by AKRISONER