Lots of Bears around Georgian Bay

floater

I camped at the Moon River area for two days last week. Two nights in a row I heard a loud tearing and ripping noise. Turns out it was a bear ripping into a chicken coop. On the second night the owner went out and shot this bear. I checked out a bunch of camp sites in the area and there are now big green steel boxes where campers are supposed to put their food into. I talked to Park staff and they said not too many campers are hanging their food properly and the bears are coming into the sites and scaring them off so they added the food boxes. Fishing was good for bass and pike but no walleyes or musky this time out. Great area up there with loads of fishing structure.

I've been thinking of getting a tag this year. Lets say I was out on an island camping outside of the Massassauga Park and I shot a bear that came to camp during the daylight. Would I be able to tag that one and keep it? Never bear hunted but I'm just curious.

I remember our families first trip to Pointe Au Baril around 1964, the camp owner took us inside his home and showed us kids pictures, one was of the town dump at night, with 5-6 bears wandering around it, he told us to be careful where we wandered!

Never really saw that many bears there, but we didn't go looking for them, and kept our wandering outside of camp to a minimum. It seemed a great area for bears, and probably hasn't changed much.

Beausoleil Island camping area has had lots of issues. I grew up in Honey Harbour and never saw one from 1973-2000. We tried to camp there 5 years ago with small dog and small kids. While setting up a bear wandered right through our site within 50' of us and it was a giant. We packed up pretty quick and left. Lol.

My wife's Aunt and Uncle live on the outskirts of Honey Harbour. They have a bear that has made itself at home in their back yard.

Last year, it took most of their lawn furniture back int the woods. This year, it just sits on their back deck and watches the Olympics.

HH

When I was a kid we would have to do a dump run up in Haliburton and one time mid day there was 4 walking around the dump. I was in the car with my sister, Grandmother and Nana (Great Grandmother) and she got out and pitched the bags as one was walking towards the car. It climbed right up on the hood the second she closed the car door...

In the past week or two my folks have seen some bears in the Burnt River area. Right on the road at the house/cottage in the day.

I wouldn't be shooting an out of season bear. I figure if I got me a tag and brought the gun with me camping if an opportunity presented itself during the shooting hours I could possibly get one. I have never bear hunted so have no idea where to go and how to bait them. Just getting lazy I guess and hoping for a suicidal bear.

Took my wife camping for the first time to the Moon area several years back. The park rangers told us there were a ton of bear sightings. I scoffed, saying I have camped for years and never seen a bear. Went fishing, came back and a bear had tried to get into my cooler that I hung properly from a tree. All I can figure is it climbed the tree and crawled across the branch to the cooler. Luckily I had wrapped my boat strap also around the cooler so there was no way this bear was getting into it. The puncture marks were enough to make us decide to leave. Oh, and the huff from the woods as we looked around. Great first camping trip up there for my wife. I've never camped there again.

In June this year I was out for a fish mid day near a property that had just sold a few weeks prior. The group was up and camping on their new property, hauling tools etc to begin their endeavor to build a new cottage on the property. The group had left into town and obviously left some food behind.

Sure enough there was one of the biggest bears ive seen mulling around their camp breaking stuff.

I think they learned their lesson about leaving food out.

Year before on bass opener I caught a few fish, slimed the boat a bit...was right tight into shore when not 5 minutes later i hear loud crashing through the bush...out popped a female right in front of my boat...was thankful I wasnt shore fishing that day!