Question for the auto mechanics NF

Big Cliff

Air conditioning on my 2013 Nissan Rogue is not working well (well the whole car doesn't work well but that's another story) and I was just told that my "cabin air filter" might be clogged and could be causing the problem.

I really don't care if I have a cabin air filter or not, (been driving for 50 years without one) is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't just remove it?

They say the air coming through is six times dirtier than the air outside, how that's possible I don't know lol.

I tried that with my 2011 Tucson and noticed no difference personally. Plus my a/c has been making a bad smell so I wondered if a new filter would help at all... Nope again

I found out my cabin air filter was clogged when I went to Florida a couple of years ago.

The vehicle was 9 years old at the time and the filter had never been changed.

I spent the $20 on a replacement and installed it in the driveway at my rental in FLA.

Made a huge difference instantly.

Probably why I couldn't get any heat on my drive down. :whistling:

I think they should probably be replaced every few years though.

Hello Cliff.

If the airflow coming out of the vents is not strong then chances are the filter is plugged and will need to be removed or replaced. If it is a question of temperature then something else is an issue.

The filter is mounted low on the left side of the HVAC beside the throttle pedal.

This is an excerpt from manual.

1.Remove instrument driver lower cover. Refer to "Exploded View" See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Exploded View.

2.Remove accelerator pedal assembly. Refer to "Exploded View" See: Powertrain Management\Fuel Delivery and Air Induction\Accelerator Pedal\Service and Repair\Exploded View.

If you are flexible enough to get into that position to remove it, go for it. ??

The reason for most odor from AC is an accumulation of bacteria that forms in the system in the moisture created by the condensation.

Hi Cliff

Is it the volume of air that is the problem or the fact that the air is not cold? Different problems with different solutions. We fix dozens or AC's this time of year and if the compressor and clutch is working then in 90% + of the cases it is refrigerant leak. We put about a pound of refrigerant in the system with some flourescent dye. After a few days we can see where the leak is with a black light (sometimes the leak is very small). Of course if you have a volume of air issue then is could either be cabin filter plugged (you would be amazed as to how much crap gets trapped in there). If the volume is very low then it could be a mechanical heat/AC/blendor issue....sorry but if you were closer I would gladly have my guys do the diagnosis for you....

J..

Edited by John

Read your vehicle's manual and Replace the filter, I am not familiar with your vehicle but that is most likely a customer replaceable part, shouldn't be that hard to do,

Besides giving you cleaner air to breath,That filter saves your evaporator coil from clogging up,

Once the evaporator coil gets plugged, it's a much bigger/harder job to clean.

On a side note, I was surprised to learn that there is still asbestos used in break pads made offshore, I am not sure if some of those are allowed to be sold in Canada,

Asbestos is not used in break pads made in Canada, USA as far as I know.

Are you having other problems with your Nissan Rogue Big Cliff? I ask because Ticha's 07 Altima just turned 300,000 K and I know it isn't going to last forever and was considering a Rogue. This Nissan has been the best and most dependable car I have ever owned in the last 45 years. Regular oil and filter, a few batteries, an exhaust pipe and a starter. Brakes of course but nothing like the cars I swear I paid for twice from Audi's to Zephyrs and everything in between.

Fran makes after market cabin filters for most vehicles, CT has them,

Almost 1/2 price compare to OEM

Yea I can get a Fram # CF10550 for around $24.00 and it's comparble to OE. I can also get one for around $7.00; but it be better to leave the dirty one in. The cheap ones collapse, with just the air flow going through them.

As for the vid, I would have like to see how badly deformed the filter ended up being; After "just squeezing the middle a little bit". LOL

Dan.

Thanks to everyone that replied!

Hi Cliff

Is it the volume of air that is the problem or the fact that the air is not cold? Different problems with different solutions. We fix dozens or AC's this time of year and if the compressor and clutch is working then in 90% + of the cases it is refrigerant leak. We put about a pound of refrigerant in the system with some flourescent dye. After a few days we can see where the leak is with a black light (sometimes the leak is very small). Of course if you have a volume of air issue then is could either be cabin filter plugged (you would be amazed as to how much crap gets trapped in there). If the volume is very low then it could be a mechanical heat/AC/blendor issue....sorry but if you were closer I would gladly have my guys do the diagnosis for you....

J..

Thanks John, based on the above it must be a leak, guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer and get hosed again.

Are you having other problems with your Nissan Rogue Big Cliff? I ask because Ticha's 07 Altima just turned 300,000 K and I know it isn't going to last forever and was considering a Rogue. This Nissan has been the best and most dependable car I have ever owned in the last 45 years. Regular oil and filter, a few batteries, an exhaust pipe and a starter. Brakes of course but nothing like the cars I swear I paid for twice from Audi's to Zephyrs and everything in between.

I drove Nissans for 12 years before I got this Rogue (the name suits it). I have had so many problems with this car (and the dealership hasn't been much help either). I have a list two pages long of things that are in my opinion substandard. If she has 300,000 on her 07 it means she does a lot of driving, the seats in my Rogue would probably be more comfortable if they were milk crates.

My wife's Toyota on the other hand, (bought 6 months before the Rogue) comfortable to drive, just normal maint. and not a single problem.

Call them asap Cliff. My 011 Silverado was the first new vehicle I ever bought for just myself and they covered everything in that truck for 3 years. My AC went out the second summer now that I think of it, they replaced the compressor and something else related no questions asked. One rear speaker was rattling and they replaced it too.