Cabella's GRRRRR

Dara

i guess it depends on your definition of bi box store

A big-box store (also supercenter, superstore, or megastore) is a physically large retail establishment, usually part of a chain. The term sometimes also refers, by extension, to the company that operates the store. The store may sell general dry goods in which case it is a department store, or may be limited to a particular specialty (such establishments are often called "category killers") or may also sell groceries, in which case some countries (mostly in Europe) use the term hypermarket.

They are all 4 walls, a ceiling and a floor. Last time I was in BPS and Cabelas, I seen, 4 walls,a ceiling and a floor. Big box stores. Yes?

unfortunately there are people who would without receipt

1 buy stuff on sale and then try to return products at full price

2 buy something used and then try to return it

3 steal things then try and return

it seems we pay the price for others dishonesty but i cannot blame the store

they have a return policy in writing for a reason when you buy something from any store you are agreeing to that policy

if you misplace the receipt its not the stores fault

and to the OP again the return policy is in writing at all the stores its not the fault of the store you didn't test the motor within

the stated time i know it sucks i would be pissed to but businesses have to protect themselves from the few dishonest people

that cost them money

You are 100% correct hunteronwheels. Sad as it is.

The vast majority of "Big Box", Company, Outlet stores don't give a rats ass about you. Generally 30 days then you are dealing with the manufacture yourself. Unless of course you buy their over priced extended warranty program, then its OK, they will happily help you, and all they do is give you another and send the broken unit to the manufacture for the warranty repair.

Why is this? Because they have ripped more money out of your pocket. I refuse to buy any large items from these establishments because of this. What this tells me is they don't want to stand behind the product they sell, where as the little guy generally bends over backwards for your business and will do what ever he or she can to help.

Future Shop was the worst of the lot and look what happened to them.

. I am back at the store at 12:30 and they tell me that I have to send it to Mastercraft in Toronto. The 18 year old girl tells me Mastercraft has nothing to do with CTC, it's a separate company.

That's interesting because mastercraft isn't a company and there is no place in Toronto. It's a brand...where other companies make products and put the mastercraft name on it. Lots of people do think it's a manufacturer.

Dara, which motor did you think you bought and which one did you actually get? I'm kinda confused that you thought the TM had autopilot and it actually doesn't.

Confusing details from both Minn Kota and Cabellas

I would have thought that at $1,149.00 plus tax and shipping a crappy little 55 lb motor would have autopilot at least

I still can't figure it out but can't see anything definite to go back on them with false advertising so, my loss

55 lb terrova 54" shaft

As far as I am aware, you cannot buy the Terrova without i-Pilot at all, at least at the stores I patronize.

If you are referring to i-Pilot Link, that is a different feature only available on specific models that carry a price premium.

EDIT: comment above is true for LeBaron, but I see MK has it without i-Pilot on their website....

Edited by Dutch01

Confusing details from both Minn Kota and Cabellas

I would have thought that at $1,149.00 plus tax and shipping a crappy little 55 lb motor would have autopilot at least

I still can't figure it out but can't see anything definite to go back on them with false advertising so, my loss

55 lb terrova 54" shaft

Here's the website with all the available Terrova models:

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling-Motors/Freshwater-Bow-Mount/Terrova/ (click the models tab part way down)

Terrova does have 'Autopilot' but only on the 80 & 112 models (edited to correct this fact), The 55 either has nothing (and yes it does come in a plain version) or it has I-Pilot or I-Pilot Link. If the Cabelas ad just said Terrova, then it is the basic model and has no GPS automatic controls and the 1200 bucks would seem about the right price. The I-pilot models are a lot more than that....not sure if this helps but the info seems pretty clear on the Minn Kota site. The only other option is US2 which is a built in sonar transducer and it is available on all three models of the 55/54.

Edited by G.mech

I was looking for autopilot, it says available on select models.

Terrova foot pedal has an autopilot button, so I assumed this was a select model as it has the switch on the foot pedal.

There is no listing as to how you order autopilot on either min k or crapellas website.

If you pick up the phone, nobody at either crappellas or kota know what they are talking about and there are no dealers here.

Its hard living in the middle of nowhere

Terrova foot pedal has an autopilot button, so I assumed this was a select model as it has the switch on the foot pedal.

There is no listing as to how you order autopilot on either min k or crapellas website.

If you pick up the phone, nobody at either crappellas or kota know what they are talking about and there are no dealers here.

There is an entire model list on the link provided above but you have to click on the 'Models' tab half way down. The 55 is not available with AP, only the 80 & 112 models. The foot pedal is universal for all models so it has an AP button regardless of what motor you buy.

I was just looking at the Cabela's Canada site and have to agree their chart and their model selections make very little sense...

Edited by G.mech

This I have to say is amusing.........

You have no idea what you purchase but now it's Cabela's fault ? ? ?

I feel for you that the TM doesn't work but that kind of thing happens and I'm sure Minn Kota will straighten it out at no cost to you. As I said I went through that twice but both times Minn Kota stood behind their product and I was happy once I had a working TM which lasted for many years until I sold it when my new boat came with a new Minn Kota......

This I have to say is amusing.........

You have no idea what you purchase but now it's Cabela's fault ? ? ?

I feel for you that the TM doesn't work but that kind of thing happens and I'm sure Minn Kota will straighten it out at no cost to you. As I said I went through that twice but both times Minn Kota stood behind their product and I was happy once I had a working TM which lasted for many years until I sold it when my new boat came with a new Minn Kota......

2 pages and a week ago it was Cabellas fault..now I'm understanding whats up, but I still don't understand it because it all reads as sales stuff instead of explaining what is actually available.

I need a booklet to read through, flipping back and forth from page to page on a computer screen doesn't work for me

Does anybody want to buy a brand new 55 lb terrova...its no good at all to me

2 pages and a week ago it was Cabellas fault..now I'm understanding whats up, but I still don't understand it because it all reads as sales stuff instead of explaining what is actually available.

I need a booklet to read through, flipping back and forth from page to page on a computer screen doesn't work for me

Auto pilot has been replaced by i-Pilot as far as I know. If you bought the one without i-Pilot, you can still buy it separately as an addon:

http://m.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-iPilot-Wireless-GPS-Trolling-Systems/product/10215401/

If you want to network it to your fish finder, you actually need i-Pilot Link. I'm not sure if it's available as an addon.

Edited by Dutch01

I agree that the advertising is confusing when it comes to TM........took me some studying to get exactly what I wanted each time.

Auto pilot has been replaced by i-Pilot as far as I know. If you bought the one without i-Pilot, you can still buy it separately as an addon:

http://m.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-iPilot-Wireless-GPS-Trolling-Systems/product/10215401/

If you want to network it to your fish finder, you actually need i-Pilot Link. I'm not sure if it's available as an addon.

You are correct as Minn Kota Motors come this way :

Just a TM with either cable control or PD which is Power Drive

Also available with Auto Pilot, iPilot and iPilot LINK

You are correct as Minn Kota Motors come this way :

Just a TM with either cable control or PD which is Power Drive

Also available with Auto Pilot, iPilot and iPilot LINK

I don't know why anyone would buy Auto Pilot anyways. It's compass only. I-Pilot has a better compass plus gps. Edited by Dutch01

Because it was all I wanted to spend at the time.

I thought it had autopilot...a cheap little compass to keep me straight while I set a line or fight a fish alone.

I was thinking of adding I pilot later if use warranted it and I saved more money.

Now, I have the same as I had before except in a 55lb instead of 40.

Its 600 to upgrade to ipilot and the motor was running slow so I'm not sure if I still have issues or a weak battery.

I have to cross a border to get my motor back, try it out, then go back for i pilot if it works and pay in US currency

Or I can try and sell it and spend 1800 for an 80 lb which I don't need and have to upgrade my wiring to 24 volts which I didn't want to have to do.

And I was thinking a new boat and didn't want to dump a whole bunch into this one if I was upgrading.

All because I didn't read a website properly and for the first time ever bought something like that on line and I am quite depressed about it

And the boat I went and looked at today, the sales guy didn't know what storage length is, couldn't lower the motor so I could measure, didn't know the interest rate for their financing program, didn't know the hull warranty on a freaking Crestliner that he is selling, and after looking in the book of boats tradein value told me 1000.00$ less than the guy in Ottawa a couple weeks ago that showed me the value in the same book...I think I may quit fishing

I actually had a "good" experience dealing with a Big Box store today. So since it's so rare I want to share. My wife bought herself a Ryobi 18V weed whacker last June from Homeless Despot. It doesn't work now. I called the dreaded 1-800 number expecting the worst and I immediately am talking to a nice lady with a southern accent, and not southern East Indian. I'm expecting that she is going to tell me to mail it to Atlanta Ga. or Toronto at the least and asks where I live? She tells me to go to Dave's Small Engine repair in Caledonia 35 minutes from here. I know Dave. Another "small world" thing too sort of. Dave said they will most likely give me a new one rather than have him repair it and he doesn't think he can, but has to try first. Rare but great customer service.

Edit: so far so good, hope it stays that way.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Dara, get your motor replaced via Minnkota, and put aside a few bucks to buy an ipilot head unit for your Terrova when you get a chance. Yes it's not ideally what you wanted, but sometimes you have to make lemonade. I guarantee you won't regret paying extra for the ipilot after you used it for a few trips! A Trolling motor with GPS was without a doubt the best money I've ever spent on my boat.

Edited by porkpie

Dara, get your motor replaced via Minnkota, and put aside a few bucks to buy an ipilot head unit for your Terrova when you get a chance. Yes it's not ideally what you wanted, but sometimes you have to make lemonade. I guarantee you won't regret paying extra for the ipilot after you used it for a few trips! A Trolling motor with GPS was without a doubt the best money I've ever spent on my boat.

I agree, make the best of a bad situation. I love my I-Pilot, drives while I fish!

I would still like to know where you walked in, as you say, you order online, and got 6-7 year old waders replaced ,at a dicounted price? Me thinks you are state side, as you have stated, these stores, Calelas and BPS, are very striked with return/ exchange policies.

Sorry Dara, but I need to find out the secret to this? I might need to exchange a pair in 5-7 years.

Tell us your secret, or how to smooth them into replacing please.

I find most "big box" stores to have great customer service and exchange policies.

It totally sucks that you did not get what you want but I don't think after all this time that it's Cabelas' fault.

I would call MK back and see if they won't look after you. In fact I bet if you went to their warehouse in burlington that they would look after you - the customer service guy there is amazing - forget his name.