Fishing Lake St Clair for pike next weekend

Shloim

WE are new to Lake St Clair. We fished it a couple of times last fall and what a bonanza! caught tons of fish but havent been to target pike. Any advice would be appreciated, launching from Luken Marina.

Thanks in advance

Sheldon

Not saying you would do this BUT I am always realllly sceptical of "pike" anglers in the Spring on St Clair. The pike population is not very good. To me it seems like a bad idea and looks a lot like pre season musky fishing.

Just my opinion not an accusation.

They are there, but are overshadowed by the musky fishery, and one of the few water bodies where they both reside, and the musky seems to dominate, if not by numbers certainly by catch ratios

That sounds odd.

Just that statement alone would make me think there isnt a healthy poulation of pike

I've caught a few pike on LSC while Muskie fishing. They all were in the shallow weedy areas probably hiding from the giant muskies in the open water lol. Definitely not a lake that I'd travel to for the pike opener. I'll be up north for hammer handles and beers

On pike opener my gameplan stays the same regardless of where i am, start in the shallowest weediest area i can find and work my out until the fish tell me whats up lol.

As for hitting st. Clair ive never been but i was invited out to the kawarthas for pike opener and had to pass, i just dont feel right pike fishing in a lake i do all my muskie fishing in.

I know its ok in the regs but it just doesnt sit well with me, to each their own though.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good plan, regardless of what the regs say.

Personally, I don't think pike should be open all year in zone 17 (Kawarthas) either, it's way too hard on the out of season bass, walleye and skis.

Not saying you would do this BUT I am always realllly sceptical of "pike" anglers in the Spring on St Clair. The pike population is not very good. To me it seems like a bad idea and looks a lot like pre season musky fishing.

Just my opinion not an accusation.

My exact sentiments. Knowing Shloim a bit from when he bought his boat I wouldn't think that's a motive. There are many more "Pike" lakes around. I have never heard of anyone targeting Pike there from being on another small local western Erie/ Detroit River/LSC board. Walleye and Musky yes, not Pike though.

If I was looking for Pike I would find feeder creeks close to deeper water. The post spawn pike should be found in warmer thus shallow warmer water sunning themselves. Work from shallow to the drop off and work that ledge from top to bottom with crank baits, jerk baits and spoons. No need for a steel leader anymore. 60 pound Seagar Fluorocarbon works like a charm. Only a young hammer handles might chew through it, maybe. Good electronics is the key to finding that drop off and where they are stacked up.

Go get em Shloim. I guess you found and repaired that leak in the boat.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

As others have said, that is one frick of a drive for so so pike fishing. Although I have caught pike on st clair, the musky to pike ratio is probably 10:1. The only area I have caught more pike than musky is Mitchell's Bay so if you are heading that way I would go there. Better options far closer to home would be Cooks Bay, Dalrymple, Canal, or Mitchell. Good luck and let us know how you do

Ok, so let me clear the air here, my mistake its a pike / walleye trip, Im fishing on a buddies boat (leak in mine not fixed BTW). This is season 5 fishing for me, so I dont know. WHICH IS WHY IM ASKING?. Mitchel's bay was the plan from what I know. Also need to make a stop at Angling Outfitters for my sonar and then we will also be fishing with Jocelyn from AO to get us on fish. I don't know but when my buddy Mike and Jocelyn say lets hit St Clair I just follow their leads and say where do I sign up? Do I get a pardon now?

if its walleye then I think a good choice. My understanding is they can be found at the mouth of the Thames this time of year. Then you would just need to bomb north a few miles to go after pike in Mitchell's Bay....not sure how long a boat ride that would be

if its walleye then I think a good choice. My understanding is they can be found at the mouth of the Thames this time of year. Then you would just need to bomb north a few miles to go after pike in Mitchell's Bay....not sure how long a boat ride that would be

Luckily my friend has a fast boat so we can get around pretty good. Thanks for the tips! We fished the mouth last fall and got all of those Sheepheads on lite tackle it was a hoot!

Walleye numbers are good there. The trick is to get as vertical as possible as the current there is quite fast. 3/4 oz jig and plastic or live minnow seems to have worked this year and most others. The key is a good electric motor to get as vertical as possible. I didn't doubt your motives Shloim. If you are looking to repair that leak PM or email me. If my guy here isn't available as this is the busiest time of year for a boat repair I can recommend a local guy that can do it right too.

Check out Stomps Channel 6-8 Fishing Forum and do a search for LSC. I don't know if I am breaking any rules for recommending a different forum Art?

I thought since you were asking a question you were looking for input??? That's what you got.

I was looking for in put it was the accusations and questioning of my motives I wasn't expecting...No biggie though, as I said Im just tagging along.

Nobody was questioning YOUR motives. And Jocelyn wouldn't fish illegally either.

Every season there are pretend like anglers on St Clair - it bugs me. If that was your motive you would not have advertised your plan here.

Nobody is judging you - the responses simply stated that pike are incidental and not overly populated on that lake.

theres a good pike population in the lscl. system... Detroit r. has a good population as well. as most top out in the lo-40inch,many smaller pm me if your coming. I will offer up some multi specie areas to make you happy .. lived here on st cl all my life.