Taking the Kids Fishing

Jen

Having three boys is sometimes a challenge, however, I will have to say one I truly enjoy.

With the weather being so beautiful and my need to get out there and fish crazily growing we decided to head to Port Maitland this evening.

The moment the kids arrived home from school we got in the truck and started the drive. No complaints that dinner would have to wait till we were done fishing, they were all excited and ready to catch fish. (note here how that says CATCH fish... these boys didn't want to go fishing, they wanted to catch fish!)

After picking up minnows at Fishmasters bait and tackle, we arrived at the pier around 5:00 pm... by the time I got them all set up, three lines in the water I was already replacing one rod for the next as the words " MOM, I got a snag" were repeated often. The first perch caught was the biggest one you see sitting on the cutting board in the pictures below. Great incentive to keep their lines in the water rather than wander off looking for something else to do.

DSC00810.jpg

I had help for a while when fishmaster showed up, as I was running from one child to the next taking off fish, baiting hooks and generally keeping them happy...I hope it didn't cut into his fishing time too greatly :rolleyes: (huge thanks). Many crappie rigs and all my hooks later Sonny showed up with his boat :clapping: and took the kids for a ride. I opted to stay on shore to spend atleast a few moments with my own line wet... although he anchored right out in front of where we were fishing , so everytime they caught a fish they could show it off. It was wonderful watching them from a distance and seeing how thrilled they were, even when the fish was a sheephead.

The boys feet were back on solid ground just before nine... a bunch of very happy children to say the least... A wave to Sonny and Fishmaster as they headed off in search of Walleye. Quick stop at a friends place to show off our catch and play with the dogs, a visit to the beach, then drive through McDonalds and they were all on cloud nine before I pulled into the driveway at home. (While driving we got to see, a Doe and her Fawn, Bunny Rabbits, a Raccoon and her 4 babies, and a fox... not bad for a night just outside of town. Since in Temagami the only wild life I saw was a snapping turtle and signs that moose actually exist. lol )

Into the house to clean our catch! DSC00812.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

Now this is where it got fun... only one of them volunteered to help...and he had never cleaned fish before.

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

and wow :clapping: what a great job he did.

Almost done!

DSC00816.jpg

There is nothing like spending quality time with your kids! It being a week night and out of the blue made it even more memorable for them...

Smiles and hugs and off to bed.

DSC00846.jpg

Although somehow I know when I wake them in the morning I will be reminded why 9:00 pm is usually bedtime.

Cheers,

Jen

Edited by Jen

ok those perch are on steriods!!!! i love the reports when parents and kids fishing. another couple years and i will be able to take my son fishing. i cant wait.

loved your sons shirt by the way (i will try to be nicer if you try to be smarter) laughed pretty good at it.

cheers!

Edited by lunkerbasshunter

Wow...what a great report Jen! They caught some jumbos that's for sure!!! Your kids will grow up remembering all this quality time you've spent with them...and they are likely to pass it down to their own kids one day.

Wish my mom took me fishing....LOL.

Thanks for the pics and report!

Guest mistyriver1

Awesome report Jen. :thumbsup_anim:

I couldn't agree more with you about spending time with your kids !!

Nice feed of fish there.

Now that was an absolutely enjoyable report Jen.I know what its like fishing with my 3 kids off the dock I bring my Rod but it just sits there I barely get to wet the line.Love those jumbo perch and the happy smiley faces from your boys.

A woman who goes fishing and cleans fish .A fisherMAN'S dream!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I look forward to the next report.

MTP

Nice seeing you at Port Maitland last night Jen and your Boys... and as for helping with kids never a issue i love to see kids fishing ..was kinda cool i told your one son were to fish and it wasn't long he was pulling in a nice 13" perch ...glad you all enjoyed your eve in Dunnville ..Fishmaster