Any crappie in North Pigeon.

captpierre

Got the cottage open.

Nobody out on the lake.

No panfish hangin around the dock.

Tried for crappie in past springs with no luck.

Never catch one fishing for eyes.

Catch lots of bluegills under floats in shallow bays.

Is there a decent crappie population in the north end?

There was before they opened the lake for ice-fishing...First spring afterwards the crappie dropped right off...They are still around but nowhere near the numbers we used to catch...

I don't get around much nowadays except down to the shoreline at our park and haven't had a bite in two outings...water is too cold yet...Normally, in years past this weekend would have been the opening week of fishing on the lake and that is when we did well for crappie until the pickerel season opened then the crappie fishing died off...

Got the cottage open.

Nobody out on the lake.

No panfish hangin around the dock.

Tried for crappie in past springs with no luck.

Never catch one fishing for eyes.

Is there a decent crappie population in the north end?

Try throwing float/ white panfish tube jig along very north shoreline from Hurricane Pt. towards Bald lakes.

Right along north shoreline is little shallow mud bottom fingers 2-5 ft. of water. Now is good time for searching by flipping float along shore.

Try throwing float/ white panfish tube jig along very north shoreline from Hurricane Pt. towards Bald lakes.

Right along north shoreline is little shallow mud bottom fingers 2-5 ft. of water. Now is good time for searching by flipping float along shore.

Thanks. I'll give it a try in about 10 days when I'm up again.

Why don't you stick with the bluegills? I like catching crappie...don't get me wrong....but for a feed of fish I will take gills every time over crappie. If I am catching both....like in an area I fish on Little Bald....I just let all the crappie go and keep gills for a fish fry. If you haven't gave them an honest try your missing out IMHO. And they are easier to find and catch ALL summer long.

Why don't you stick with the bluegills? I like catching crappie...don't get me wrong....but for a feed of fish I will take gills every time over crappie. If I am catching both....like in an area I fish on Little Bald....I just let all the crappie go and keep gills for a fish fry. If you haven't gave them an honest try your missing out IMHO. And they are easier to find and catch ALL summer long.

What he said! Was out on Sturgeon today and we could not keep the bluegills off the hook. Lots and lots in the 8-10' size. We were catching 4 gills to every crappie all day long.

Ive never really fished for panfish. Got one 5 years ago, a crappie, that was 15" on a bass jig lol. This was caught on north pigeon. The size shocked me.

Ive used 3" grubs before with some success, should i be downsizing? May take a friend to catch a feed, maybe the first time i keep a catch!

Ive never really fished for panfish. Got one 5 years ago, a crappie, that was 15" on a bass jig lol. This was caught on north pigeon. The size shocked me.

Ive used 3" grubs before with some success, should i be downsizing? May take a friend to catch a feed, maybe the first time i keep a catch!

Fairly soon after we moved up this way I was crappie fishing near an OFC'Rs father and noticed all he caught was slabs...we were using 1 1/2 inch grubs and tubes but his were about 3 inches...I guess he knew sumpin' we didn't...LOL

Edited by Beans

Had luck in the Blind Channel a few years back w tubes under a bobber. Also surprised to see that the channel has been closed off and no longer navigable from end to end.

Thanks.

Don't know where the Blind Channel is.

Never heard of it

Im with you Gills are much nicer to eat and clean that Crappers, and are readily available

My bro-in-law Dave would say "Bluegills are just the right size for a hamburger bun"...

Crappie grow bigger than bluegills and most fishermen like to catch big fish...

I don't get to eat either very often...It looks like a chainsaw massacre after I try to clean them...LOL

Edited by Beans

Never eaten crappie.

If bluegills are as good or better to eat why is everybody so crappie crazy?

For me it was a size thing. Who wants to keep something that small? But once I learned a few spots where you can consistantly get larger ones 7.5 inches and up and actually ate a few I realized I liked them much better then crappie and really it only takes a couple more fish to make a good feed.

My bro-in-law Dave would say "Bluegills are just the right size for a hamburger bun"...

Crappie grow bigger than bluegills and most fishermen like to catch big fish...

I don't get to eat either very often...It looks like a chainsaw massacre after I try to clean them...LOL

You need a lesson from CPH and an electric knife!

Never eaten crappie.

If bluegills are as good or better to eat why is everybody so crappie crazy?

I think it's a perception thing. I never had bluegill before until about 15 years ago a friend of a friend had us fill a pail on a weekend fishing trip, he cleaned em all and fried them for dinner. They where fantastic. I think most people consider them kids fish up here. Down in some states bluegill fishing is nearly an industry. Edited by porkpie

I also enjoy the gills over the crappie. I actually have any easier time cleaning gills and they cook up better. I find the crappie meat a little soft.

It's also important to remember that there is a specific limit in zone 17 for bluegill over 7.1". I think an angler is permitted 30 out of their overall limit.