Matachewan/Montreal River Report...

TJQ

I'm still on dialup so I havent been posting or replying much... we should have our hi-speed back tomorrow.. its making working quite difficult, but I figured I would spend some time and get this post up!!

Last Friday morning we headed back up to camp to finish setting up the stuff I didnt get to in the spring cause of the snow (dock.. crapper etc..) and take some time out... the kids arent doing much at school right now so we made it a 4 day weekend for them as well!!

So up we went.... here's me on the end of the dock, looking to the internet gods for life giving access...

pic01.jpg

Heres a picture of the most important setup at camp.. and I swear it is more comfortable than the ones at home!!!!

pic02.jpg

Here is the view of the back of camp from the crapper!!

pic03.jpg

Anyone know what this plant is ... there are tone of them... there was a nice fresh moose print right in the sand near it.. right next to the camp... oh goodie...

pic04.jpg

So out we go in the boat to see if we can find any fishies and we get this beauty right off the bat...

pic05.jpg

Caught on Moniques second favorite Lucky Strike lure!!!!

pic06.jpg

Heres where it gets funny... well its funny now I guess... I'm not getting anything on the spoons I traditionally use... so I grab this crankbait looking thingy... with three nice sherp treble hooks on it and say "Ill give this a shot.." now Im thinking to myself that theres so many hooks on the darn thing that anything that even comes close to hitting it is gonna get caught... lol...

I troll it for a bit and them BAM this monster pike in the pic below nails it and I spend 1/2 an hour battling it, but finally my angling skill prevails and I boat the monntrous beast....

It demanded a picture so I grab it as I always do... (like I do when Im using barbless spoons with way fewer hooks....)

pic07.jpg

and the next thing I know .. it says "OH YA!! TAKE THIS!!!"

pic08.jpg

So there we go.. its buried way past the barb.. and we are an easy hour to the nearest hospital... with a 20 min 4 wheeler ride in between....

So we took a pair of side cutters and clipped the hook.....

pic09.jpg

and then pushed the barb the rest of the way THROUGH my finger... I tried to push it with the pliers but I couldn't get the end of the hook to push out through the skin, so it took the two of us... I pushed on the hook and Monique pressed down on the skin around where the point was gonna come out and presto.... after a couple of words that the filters wouldn't allow here.. or anywhere for that matter, it pushed through to my great relief.... A little bit of whiskey and I was good as new... well as new as I can be anyway!!

so... did I learn a lesson... you bet.... #1 when im fishing to release anyway.. ALL my hooks will be barbless from now on... #2 I will respect the fish's ability to harm me.. no matter how small they are!!!

I was fortunate... no infection and in two days my finger was good as new!!

Jaden spent alot of time casting off the dock... there were bass and pike galore out there... nothing huge but alot of fun.. half the time when you went down to the dock you would see a small pike or bass swin away!!

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

It was good to see alot of partridges still out and about... usually in this heat they are pretty scarce...

pic12.jpg

The campfire was so nice... we brought a cot out by the fire for Monique to "TRY".... lol.... we had to drag her in to go to bed....

pic13.jpg

It was beautiful and HOT all weekend long... I just love it up there....

pic14.jpg

All in all we saw 4 bears, 1 moose, 1 huge hawk, a turtle, countess ducks loons and geese, one very annoying squirrel..

all the bears were cubs, but I suspect momma was close by...

pic15.jpg

It was a great weekend ... I'm going back up in July to add another tent to the compound and will likely be up there alot in August!! (Oh ya... if you have a sweet tooth... you must try the "Elk Ears" at the chip stand in Elk Lake..... Tim Horton's eat your heart out!!)

Guest mistyriver1

TJ, I just had the same thing happen to me last week at Simcoe, a small pike thrashed and put a hook in my finger where the nail meets the finger OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW, not quite as bad as yours, but it still hurt !!!

Great report, the family looks like they really enjoy it up there....why wouldn't they, it looks awesome :thumbsup_anim: .

Thank you for sharing a bit of your world and your monster pike!! Every time I read a description of removing the hook by pushing all the way through...I feel a bit green.....I know it is the best way but I am sooooo hoping I never confirm that information with my own skin! lol Good that it has healed up trouble free!!

Edited by bly

I too have been there and done that... same size pike, almost the same lure, difference being I had to cut mine out of my finger! Lost all feeling in that finger for quite a number of years!

Look at the bright side, last year up at Massasaga, my brother sat on a 12 in musky lure he had forgotton he had set down on the boat seat! He had to stand up in the boat all the way back to the camp site and lie down in the back of the truck as my sister -in - law drove them to the doctor! Two trebles lodged in his rear end, the doctor in Mac Tier was laughing the entire time he was removing the hooks! An me without my camera!

HH

I too have been there and done that... same size pike, almost the same lure, difference being I had to cut mine out of my finger! Lost all feeling in that finger for quite a number of years!

Look at the bright side, last year up at Massasaga, my brother sat on a 12 in musky lure he had forgotton he had set down on the boat seat! He had to stand up in the boat all the way back to the camp site and lie down in the back of the truck as my sister -in - law drove them to the doctor! Two trebles lodged in his rear end, the doctor in Mac Tier was laughing the entire time he was removing the hooks! An me without my camera!

HH

:lol::lol:

Hey TJ:

The flower is a wild lady's slipper, have them in Gogama too, just along the trails. They like, damp shady areas.

Lovely pictures, especially the ones of Jaden. Can see a painting for next years DUC entry. ;)

I love prospector tents, I lived in them year round and was more comfortable in them than a camper would ever be.

I don't even want to think about what you went through pushing that barb through. I hope your tetnas shots are up to date. Every 10 years fisher folks, you should get a new one if you are cutting yourself with fish knives, barbs or digging around the ground.

Pam

Thanks a lot TJ,

Now that my girlfriend has seen your deluxe crapper w/ bug protection she says I need to

upgrade before we go camping again.

Looks like I gotta add a tent and padded seat to the old "Thunder Box" :P

Hookset.

Thanks guys/girls... my finger is fine.... it was no muskie lure... but its still hurt!! hookset... a deluxe crapper is one of the most important things you can have!! (happy wife... happy Life..)

Also I think that were gonna be adding another 14x16 prospectors tent in mid july!!