Which Electric Pressure Washer to Buy???

guastels

I am looking to purchase an electric power washer for general home use including washing both boat and car. I am guessing around 2000psi should be more than enough. There are name brands such as AR Blue Clean, Karcher, etc...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Go gas all the way BUT when storing it for the winter make sure you blow all the water out of the lines and the pump. (it's actually a good idea to put plumbing antifreeze in to the system, it will help prevent oxydization) ONLY use high test gas, and change the oil at least once a year. I know so many people that have bought electric ones and wish they hadn't. My gas one is 5 years old and still starts and runs like the day I got it.

I bought a gas Honda/Karcher unit from Costco

Last year for $500. Can't adjust pressure but otherwise great. Stored it inside during winter.

This year Costco has replaced it with a Subaru version.

Change nozzles, it will go from gentle to agressive!

The problem with some ( specially cheaper ones) is that the pump keeps running even when you stop the nozzle, that causes the pump head / valves to wear out fast,

Whatever make / kind you buy make sure it has a built in pressure switch so it shuts off when you stop the nozzle,

I bought a cheapo gas one for $288 at Princess Auto today on sale. Works well enough for me but don't know how long it will last. It has a knockoff Honda style engine

If you take care of it properly, don't leave water sitting in the pump or lines over the winter, do use high test gas, I wouldn't be surprised it that thing lasts you 10 years or more. Almost every pressure washer I have ever had to repair was because people hadn't put anti freeze in the pump or blown out the pump and lines prior to storing it. The other common problem was stale fuel.

Bought a Simoniz 2000psi (frequently on sale at Canadian tire for around $200) and it lasted one year. It was stored inside all winter. It blew the internal hose from the pump to the external connection. IMPOSSIBLE to get apart to fix. Apparently I screwed up by not letting the system fill completely with water before pressurizing?? Used it twice and had to toss it.

Bought a Simoniz 2000psi (frequently on sale at Canadian tire for around $200) and it lasted one year. It was stored inside all winter. It blew the internal hose from the pump to the external connection. IMPOSSIBLE to get apart to fix. Apparently I screwed up by not letting the system fill completely with water before pressurizing?? Used it twice and had to toss it.

Someone fed you a line of bull!

Now if you didn't blow the water out of the pump or at least put antifreeze in it then the pump housing could have oxodized and that would have damaged the pump. It doesn't hurt to turn on the water supply and squeeze the trigger to flush air out of the pump but not doing it won't destroy the pump in one or two seasons. Who told you that you were at fault for not filling the pump with water first?

Edited by Big Cliff