Cold fronts and perch fishing

Big Cliff

This relates mostly to ice fishing:

I know how a cold front coming in can affect walleye fishing but I really haven't done a lot of perch fishing. Most of the times I have gone I have looked for stable temperatures or a warm front approaching and most of the time when I have gone I have done reasonably well. I have fished sunny days, cloudy days, transition days; all seemed to produce reasonably.

There are several people on here that like to target perch and I was wondering if you find that a cold front coming in has a major affect on the bite?

I used to get up and go ice fishing no matter the weather...especially after I got my portable. But over the years I began to realize I really have never had what I would call a good day when it is windy as hell out there or cold as hell. So when the weatherman is calling for either or both I usually just stay home and sleep in. Not saying you still won't get bit. You will always be able to get a few perch if you give in an honest effort. I just find the rewards for tolerating a sub par day not worth with.

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age :(

2 weeks ago when the cold weather came I believe saturday was the coldest day at minus 36. I went the day before and it was just the start of that cold weather moving in and we caught at leas 30 perch although they were on the smaller side. This was off of gilford in a operators hut.

We used the northland buckshot rattle spoon and a VMC flutter spoon. the VMC outfished the buckshot I think mainly because of the flutter and we had a bright orange color spoon. I highly recommend the VMC flutter spoon!

Fished in the middle of the last cold patch, had no issues. I don't find it affects perch fishing much. If you get on a school of fish, you can usually pick your way through them. I have had days when the bite is a lot more subtle, but they still seem to want to eat. Just my experience.

2 weeks ago when the cold weather came I believe saturday was the coldest day at minus 36. I went the day before and it was just the start of that cold weather moving in and we caught at leas 30 perch although they were on the smaller side. This was off of gilford in a operators hut.

We used the northland buckshot rattle spoon and a VMC flutter spoon. the VMC outfished the buckshot I think mainly because of the flutter and we had a bright orange color spoon. I highly recommend the VMC flutter spoon!

Ill have to check those out!

Probably 80% of my ice fishing is done with buckshot spoons and I love them. Great for walleye,pike, perch and crappies

Now I thought today wouldn't have been too bad, a warm front started moving in yesterday and while it is windy there is a bit of cloud cover. I am thinking early tomorrow would be the best bite with things dropping off later in the day as the colder air starts to move back in. Any reports from today and tomorrow would sure help this thread.

Wind was howling. Major ice movement out there today. We started out 11km from port bolster and had to come back in. We we drifting!! Crossed one crack coming back that was open 10 or more feet that wasnt there on the way out. Pretty crazy day out there. Ended up on my perch waypoint and between 5 guys we got 10 keepers. Same story from everyone we talked to our there too. Oh well....it was an adventure at the very least!

Wind was howling. Major ice movement out there today. We started out 11km from port bolster and had to come back in. We we drifting!! Crossed one crack coming back that was open 10 or more feet that wasnt there on the way out. Pretty crazy day out there. Ended up on my perch waypoint and between 5 guys we got 10 keepers. Same story from everyone we talked to our there too. Oh well....it was an adventure at the very least!

10 foot crack? that would have scared the daylights out of me! How did you get across that?

I was Saturday out of Beaverton in a howling wind most of the day and the perch fishing was slow. Bite was very lite, no tap-tap first & sometimes you'd lift the rod and one would be on it without moving anything. Highlight was a 14in perch and a large herring caught by friends but overall few keeper perch.

Always amazed at what some do to catch a fish. Lol.

Always amazed at what some do to catch a fish. Lol.

Beats sitting on the couch! Stuff happens out there. As long as your prepared for it there is nothing to worry about. The people who think we are nuts just dont understand the basic physics of ice. It moves, it expands, and it FLOATS. A bit of common sense goes a long ways.

S.

Went out yesterday. There were a few fish to be had, but still a tough bite. Brought home some for a fish fry. I just stuck with the hole and waited for them to come around. We went out of Beaverton. Fished in 25' to 35' for perch. We did try some deeper water for whities with no luck. I have never had luck with cold fronts when ice fishing, but like someone else said, it's better than sitting on the couch.