Going to Scugog later today

GBW

Short notice I know but I just got 2 msg's saying let's go fishing! I hope he's got the sled working by time I get there... But I am looking forward to testing some new soft plastic baits my buddy makes. With luck we find them later today.

well, where I walked out from was 9" of ice (or more) all over the place. One decent perch caught before we were even fully set up. Then the crappie turned on and a rather large musky showed up and well that was that...

Kinda pointless isn't it? You can't fish the lake for walleye, but you can fish the rivers when they spawn? SEriously? Just shut it down....all of it. Simple.

S.

There's nothing simple about phrases like "all of it."

The boundaries have to be set somewhere, and the lines clearly marked. Scugog and Sturgeon are connected by a river and it would have been way too ambiguous if they hadn't marked things out.

All of it. As in lake scugog watershed. Simple enough if you ask me, no? There is a DAM separating scugog and sturgeon....that's a pretty clear boundary, no?

I see no point in keeping the lake closed and the rivers open when the fish go to the rivers to spawn. Sure, the season opens a week later in a section of the river, but so what, the fish are still there. I know this because I fish there a lot. I live 10 mins from the boat launch......

Regardless, closing the fishery isn't going to do squat to bring back the fish. There is a lot more to it than closing the fishing. If the fish don't reproduce, there won't be any fish left. Start by doing some rehab on the spawning areas and go from there. I think they will be OK if and when the crappies level out. I guess only time will tell. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

S.

I know closing the lake and keeping the river open for fishing sounds counter productive, it is I believe. I am surprised as a taxpayer up there Sinker you wouldn't want at least some area open to you to fish. But yes you are right it may be a small price to pay now to ensure a sustainable fishery in the future. Being so close to the GTA it gets heavy fishing pressure. Even 30 years back when we would drive there and back in a day from Hamilton it was busy on weekends.

That decision would be a political compromise I believe. How long are these new regs. in effect for?

Nobody knows how long they are in effect for yet.

As a taxpayer I want a lake with fish, and I will not fish it, with no problems. You can still fish musky, bass and crappies in there. Its only closed for walleye.

What happens if I fish the river and catch some walleye, then run down the lake to the boat launch with those fish in my livewell, and get stopped by the CO?? Who is going to enforce that??

I see a total gong show with this. Just shut the whole thing down. You can't just close part of the lake.

S.

What happens if I fish the river and catch some walleye, then run down the lake to the boat launch with those fish in my livewell, and get stopped by the CO?? Who is going to enforce that??

I see a total gong show with this. Just shut the whole thing down. You can't just close part of the lake.

S.

I made that very comment to the person whom sent me the file. And I added I bet some will catch a fish in the closed area and say they caught it in the rivers too... He said something to the effect "it's going to be hard on the CO's"

To be clear, you can't fish walleye in the rivers while they are spawning anyways.

I do agree that there is room for confusion if someone keeps a fish from the river and is found with it later on the lake.

One idea: take a picture of you with it, with EXIF data enabled, when you catch it. Later, you can provide that as evidence if you get into trouble with a CO.

It's a pain to have to go to that trouble but it could save your butt.....

Edited by Dutch01