Radar and tickets

mr blizzard

Just watched an interesting storey on CBC National

Some people are questioning accuracy of police radar

The OPP and many other forces do an internal test within the unit before the start of their shift. HOWEVER the RCMP still use a tuning fork as well

Some agencies in the States as well as Canada say it is still essential to use the tuning fork to ensure the radar unit is up to par

I know years ago when my brother who is retired from the police started his shift he always had to use the tuning fork,,a radar expert in Canada says radar units may not all be in tune with each other without using the tuning fork

All depends what kind of radar and the brand. Old style sationary radar took one tuning fork for a prescribed speed usually 100km/h, moving took 2 forks one for the vehicle speed one for the target. Newer ones do an internal check. Each radar is calibrated and then checked with its own fork, you shouldn't play switchero. Testing if required should be done prior to using it and after each ticket to ensure it's working within specs and recorded.

Edited by Fisherman

All depends what kind of radar and the brand. Old style sationary radar took one tuning fork for a prescribed speed usually 100km/h, moving took 2 forks one for the vehicle speed one for the target. Newer ones do an internal check. Each radar is calibrated and then checked with its own fork, you shouldn't play switchero. Testing if required should be done prior to using it and after each ticket to ensure it's working within specs and recorded.

Exactly, the unit I use does not require a tuning fork to test accuracy. I test it as per the manufacturers instructions.

Great to know,cruise control is also a good thing.Without it I can drift easily over 10km's.

Oh yea cruise control is my best friend on long trips. For me its not 10 clicks over, its more like 20-25 without it turned on. What does it get me; show up at the destination 15 or 20 minutes earlier, 30 or more dollars poorer because of the extra fuel used and likely a ticket. My Avalanche gets decent mileage, if I stay below the 110 mark; after that it's like the fuel injectors are looking for a place to throw an extra pail or two of gas at the engine. LOL

Radar calibrated correctly or not, doing more then 10 over the limit; you're asking to be stopped.

Dan.

, if I stay below the 110 mark; after that it's like the fuel injectors are looking for a place to throw an extra pail or two of gas at the engine. LOL

Radar calibrated correctly or not, doing more then 10 over the limit; you're asking to be stopped.

Dan.

You are so right Dan, I haven't gone above 120. leave a bit early and enjoy the drive. I rarely drive the highways unless I have to, when I do it's set at 105 or so. Woodbridge to Newmarket maybe once a month.

back in the 70s when we were at MPH and the 401 was 100 I did 130 in my firebird. Dave you can't backdate a ticket lol

Best way to "beat a speeding ticket".....is to never speed!

But if you get one (or any ticket ....especially when demerit points are involved)....Fight it!

File for disclosure and then take it from there.

Nothing to lose......and maybe everything to gain......especially if you do not receive disclosure in a fair amount of time.

Just my $.02

Meely :whistling:

I had a heavy foot way back when. 3 tickets in 1 day, 2 from the same patrol woman, same spot an hour apart. No way to meet a pretty blond. I get stopped by a constable in a speed trap. I ask the guy " what about the other 2 guys ahead of me going faster than me?" You fish he asks?, yep, " Do you catch em all?"

3 tickets in 1 day back in 78', 2 by the same female and yes she was very nice to the sences, then 1 ticket for speeding in the last 37 just last year. As soon as I saw him coming over the rise I looked at my speedometer and knew I had it and pulled over. 4 of us with clubs in the box. I slowed down and pulled over before he put on his cherries. Treat a cop with dignity and respect regardless of age and that seems to go a long way.