turn back vehicle odometers NF

wormdunker

Last week there was a news report about a company in Ontario charged with turning back vehicle odometers. Did anybody here happen to catch the full report?

The reason I'm asking is I purchased a 2008 Ford King Ranch in Sept 2013 from a local dealer. At the time of purchase it had 73,000 km registered. I purchased it, because it was extremely clean inside & out & very low mileage for a 5 year old truck.

Over the past 2 years I have had numerous repairs completed. Idler pulley, steering column differential, rotted fuel line, remote start module, fuel sending module, new battery, 2 rotted transmission lines, power steering lines, dash lights on the GPS were dimming, then bright again. I've had the truck towed twice, once while stalled on a launch ramp while others were waiting to launch! How emberassing!

A mechanic checked the differentials for me to find the oil very gummy - sludge. I questioned this oil condition as though - why so gummy on a low mileage vehicle? I asked him to change all the related oils.

I feel there are way too many problems with this truck if in fact the registered mileage is true.

What do expect Brian it's a FORD !!!!. I've looked at your truck and I said it looks grear for that age. Based on interior and body I would believe the mileage. Having said that I believe you have a low mileage Ford. My Silverado just turned 85K, nothing but inspections and oil/filter so far. Next week in for 90K service, I a going to change pads for preventive mtc.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Chris - it's digital. Pull the fuse & not register kms driven. Very interesting.

"Very" Old Ironmaker - I drove GM most of my life, never had near the issues I'm having with this King Ranch. I love the truck when it's running properly!! I had a '95 Chevy pick up with 382,000 km on it. Never used oil in between oil changes! Brakes & exhaust was the only maintenance that truck required. Too bad it rusted out, otherwise I'd still be driving it.

My 07 chev colorado hasn't had that many problems.. I would look into it.. but then again if a vehicle sits outside for months at a time without being used then things start to rot.. sometimes a higher mileage car will actually be in better shape mechanically......... "very old ironmaker"..LMAO..

This sounds like my nephews car. Found out it was from the eastern seaboard of the USA. It had been swamped by Sandy.

Your truck sounds like it took on water. Try a very close inspection of your interior. My nephew had sand in his door panels.

I hope not but good luck.

davew3, that is very possible that car was drowned. Great observation. I looked at WD's truck and was impressed. I always check the brake and gas pedals for some sign of wear, the interior is in showroom condition and the body is clean. I should have crawled under the thing but was too tired after reeling in all his fish that day. It could have sat for a few years if the engine was hydraulic locked and the owner didn't have the funds to swap out engines.

As far as cruddy oil I know more than a few guys and gals that change the oil every 18 months or more whether needed or not!. The first thing to look at when looking is to check the oil.

Years ago my wife had a cousin who was in the used car business - that's what he did - turn back the mileage on all his cars - when you buy a used car it is good to buy it from someone you know otherwise you don't know what your getting - at least a horse you can tell by looking at its teeth -

As far as cruddy oil I know more than a few guys and gals that change the oil every 18 months or more whether needed or not!. The first thing to look at when looking is to check the oil.

Check all the fluids that you can when checking out a new (used) vehicle.

I once went into a dealer to check out a sweet little convertible and all looked pretty good until I pulled the tranny dip stick.

Fluid was burnt brown!!! Not gonna buy a vehicle that the tranny is about to fall out of.