Boat Show eye opener

captpierre

Wasn't going to go but got free weekday tickets. Took the wifey on a date.

$17 to park downstairs indoors. Left coat in car

4-5 food trucks in the north wing.

Twiggy the water skiing squirl.

Boat prices up a chunk.

Looked into the largest yacht. 55 ft.

Thought might me $1-1.5 M. Sorry $2.5 M

PWC. Seedoo. $9-20K.

Mastercraft ski/wakeboard boats. A neighbour got a used one out of the US few years ago.

Get this: $120k-$250k -for the biggest. 26 ft.

Not a lot of prices visible. Gotta ask.

Not a lot of people.

There's a tally at the entrance- Daily sales.

Between 50-70 boats/day.

Somebody's buying.

basically these kinds of things make me depressed because i quickly realize that I will literally never own a new fishing boat in my entire life.

Pretty sure when my dad bought our glasstron in 93 he paid a quarter of what a boat costs now.

Edited by AKRISONER

basically these kinds of things make me depressed because i quickly realize that I will literally never own a new fishing boat in my entire life.

Pretty sure when my dad bought our glasstron in 93 he paid a quarter of what a boat costs now.

I bought my boat @ the boat show in 1991.

18' Fisher SV-18GT with a 90 Merc, trailer and TM for $20K.

Probably be twice that or more now to get something equivalent.

In 2013 I upgraded the motor to a new 115 4 stroke with a jack plate and Smartcraft gauges for $13,500. :wacko:

11880484_1219006711458999_65686710927415

And how did that used boat work out for ya Brad?

It catches fish and does all I need it to do, motor runs like a top and hull doesn't leak a drop. You can't ask for much more than that!! I have to replace one piece of deck due to some rot, but that's a minor issue. Otherwise, it's just about what you'd expect from a Lund with a Honda lol. How's the new rig?

In 91 you could have bought a few Buicks for 20K. And both scrapped in 01. I have always bought used, until my new Silverado in 2011. Used cars, trucks, homes even wives and girlfriends. Wait I bought a brand spanking house in 86 that never became a home, forgot that, she got it anyway. 5 days after moving in my Staffordshire jumped on a skunk after I let her out into the yard and that skunk sprayed the dog and kitchen, then she ran upstairs into the bedroom, no more new 5 days later.

Not a lot of people.

There's a tally at the entrance- Daily sales.

Between 50-70 boats/day.

Somebody's buying.

Actual sales will wind up being somewhat higher than that. Many people come to the show to comparison shop, and don't actually pull the trigger till a couple of weeks after, when they've make their final decision and sorted out the financing. I've had a couple of dealers tell me that the number of boat sales that materialize in the weeks following a show are at least equal to what they do during the show itself, possibly even more. On a big ticket purchase like that, I think a lot of people like to sleep on it for a few nights and be absolutely sure.

I hear a lot of people complain about the prices of boats, but the reality is, they're selling pretty well. On Tuesday, the National Marine Manufacturers Association of Canada released its 2015 statistics. Not only is boating participation higher than it was in 2014, but in 2015 boat sales across Canada collectively topped $3 billion. That is a whole lot of money by any measure.

Let's not forget, interest rates are still at an all-time low. The vast majority of the boats sold are financed, and if you break it into monthly installments, it's basically a car payment. I think most of us would be able to justify that in our minds, especially if fishing really is as important as we say it is.

Lots of people spending big money...more than ever before....

But those people aren't really "fishing board types".

Even the fisherman themselves that are the "haves" don't post on boards like these....because, well, they are looked down at for having money.

White collar workers are making more than ever...and are spending more than ever....but the demographic of most of the fishing boards are blue collar workers....

Unless you are working in power energy (nuclear mainly), unfortunately not a lot of money to be had out there..unless you're in a professional industry...

Those who are buying cottages in the burtons, muskokas, etc are playing millions for their cottage.....dropping 100k or 200k on a boat is just a drop in the bucket....

Tons of tech millionaires working in the KW/Guelph/Waterloo area as well...they aren't your typical ofc fishing board members....but certainly are buying fishing boats....cause lots of people love to fish!!!

Edited by Steve

Although I have a decent paying job, I have been losing ground since 2007 so I will have to make do with my 14 foot tinner . I might add a few upgrades but that's about . I will be in need of a new vehicle in the next couple of years so that will be my priority..

Although I have a decent paying job, I have been losing ground since 2007 so I will have to make do with my 14 foot tinner . I might add a few upgrades but that's about . I will be in need of a new vehicle in the next couple of years so that will be my priority..

GET A NEW TRUCK ,A TOON, AND SOME NEW RODS AND TACKLE.

Works for this BLUE collar worker. :good: . LOL

Edited by Brian B

I don't worry much about possessions.

17 year old boat. 7 year old motor. 6 year old truck....but at least I own them....

I know lots of folks who live it up....but on credit....and really, nothing wrong with that....you only live once, and can't take it with you. :) :)

Each to their own.