My Musky Year - ups and downs

mike rousseau

Hello everyone

I wanted to do a "musky season" kind of thread because I really had fun with them this year... There were ups and downs... I've mentioned the downs but the emphasis is on the many ups as these stories should be... Just remember we all get a big slice of humble pie from time to time...

The year started great with a PB for me for casting... My PB for that water... And my PB figure 8 fish with a zone 18 49 incher on opening day... Smoked the double cowgirl boatside on the figure 8 which is rare for me... Very special fish for me...

image_13.jpg

After that things fell apart and I struggled with a couple goose eggs on the big river so I gave up on musky for a few months....

After the last walleye tournament of the year (mid august) I shifted gears and sharpened the hooks and went on an awesome musky push for a few months... My son started school this year so in an effort to balance fishing and family I started fishing Fridays during the day so id be home when the kids got home... For me daytime fishing means musky...

The first goal this year was to improve my casting as like 95% of my fish are caught trolling... The second goal was to spread out and find new spots as I found myself catching fish on the same 6-10 spots all the time... I was successful with both goals....

Here's the pics and a little detail of the fish that followed my new found enthusiasm...

A solo fish in the mid 40's... Can you tell what kind if structure I was fishing... Lol

image_14.jpg

This fish doesn't look special but it was caught on the first cast of the day... On a birdsnest... With a bucktail... On the bottom... Lol

image_15.jpg

A beat up old bruiser for my buddy casting

image_17.jpg

This mid mid 40 incher jumped so aggressively after bring stung by a jerkbait casting she hooked her tail on the jump and came in like a lifesaver...

image_18.jpg

image_19.jpg

image_20.jpg

Longest fish in my boat to date at 56"

image_21.jpg

All I have to say about this is "I hate rubber" as this was the day my casting pattern changed...

image_23.jpg

Putting the clicker to the test

image_24.jpg

Put my buddy onto this amazing colored 51" PB trolling a weedline

image_25.jpg

Small fish but SUPER clean and thick

image_26.jpg

After pulling $100+ baits for a while this one ended up hitting a $20 stalker.. Go figure

image_27.jpg

Dad's redonkulous musky while fishing walleye... Easily the biggest musky I've seam in person

image_28.jpg

After that last one this 46 incher looks like a little snot rocket... Again targeting walleye...

image_29.jpg

Here's hoping I can expand on what I learnt this year...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Thanks everyone...

Normally I used to get stressed musky fishing because it's a lot slower pace then walleye and I get frustrated fast... But this year I came at it with a different perspective and positive attitude regardless of fish activity and really had a fun year and fished with a few new friends...

I found that shorter mid day/morning outings for 5-6 hours ended up being more enjoyable then the long 10-16 hour days... I still did a few of those when I went outta town or buddies traveled from far but other then that most days were short... Sometimes only 2-3 hours...