Yukon tragedy

Old Ironmaker

I can't seem to be able to cut and paste here. Google Claudia Huber/Yukon/ grizzly bear. While a Grizzly Bear was attacking Claudia Huber her husband shot at the bear several times eventually killing it. One of the bullets ricochets off a tree and tragically she is killed by the bullet. That man is devastated beyond all comprehension of the word I imagine.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I read a bit more about this case Chris and there are things that my investigative and sceptical side doesn't sit well. Some strange reaction from him after the fact. I think the guy might just march to a different drummer. Watching these reality shows about the Yukon and Alaska, and there are many, they all seem to have a different slant on life compared to us citiots. The guy had to be a trick shooter to ricochet a bullet off a tree and strike her .I don't understand a few things, she ran into her car when the bear chased her from the home, why did she leave the car? I certainly wouldn't know how I would react in a life or death situation when looking at a bear attacking me. Our training at the plant hopefully prepared us for most emergency situations, but a Grizzly attack I wouldn't be prepared for. He went to his vehicle then went into the house to get his rifle, that I understand. I watch these reality shows from the North West. I always see the folks carrying 44 Magnum side arms when venturing into bear and wolf country in Alaska, at least they carry a high velocity rifle, if they are smart. I was wondering what the law is in the Yukon. Apparently some prospectors and workers in the bush are allowed to carry side arms in areas in B.C. In the Yukon weapons do not have to be secured but must be unloaded and having the ammo nearby is permissible according to the RCMP website. I know if I lived and worked in Grizzly and Wolf country I would have at least a loaded 44 on my belt or my guide carrying a weapon. Better to be alive and beg forgiveness than a dead law abiding citizen.

It certainly is tragic to say the least.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Is 38 years old considered really old for a bear? The animal is older than I am!

The sorry to me makes sense. My bet is he actually shot his wife an killed her and knew it. Then he shot a tree near by to make the mark to seal the story. But that's my un-trustworthy side coming out.....

The reality is, it very well could have happened the exact way it happened. Crazier things have happened, for sure. It's all plausible.

Edited by N.A.W

Yes, 38 years is quite old for a bear.

Interior grizzlies are the most evil, angry critters in North America.

Unlike their coastal cousins they are smaller and hungrier as they don't get all that salmon to eat.

My buddy was hiking in the mountains around the same area these folks live and was charged by a grizz.

It popped it's head over a ridge about 100yds away and charged my buddy and his friend the second it saw them.

My buddy told his friend to run while he stood his ground and shot the bear with his .458 when it was a sure thing.

The bear ended up dropping at his feet.

What my buddy didn't realize was his friend went nowhere and was taking pics over my buddies shoulder of the attack.

The pic he showed me was of an angry grizz in full charge about 40yds out. You could tell it was out for blood by the evil Cujo look in it's eyes.

I've got video somewhere of a Yukon grizz I shot on the Alaska highway.

The bear walked over to a large boulder (1000#'s+) and rolled it over with one paw looking for grubs.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I visit the Yukon every year and sleep with my 45/70. A wall tent for a bear is just a 1.3 second inconvenience to a meal.

The picture is from Haines, Alaska this September Mom and two cubs fishing for pinks and The second photo is my Karelian Bear Dog Hobo

11951907_10153416462390219_3649013816281346023_n.jpg

11039342_10153420088455219_6796114599434061515_n.jpg

Edited by trophypikehunter