Handheld GPS for fishing

jimmer

Yeah, navionics app is pretty good, but it kills batteries quick. I use a cheap, old garmin etrex for a lot of my icefishing needs, but it has no mapping. It works good for finding my way, and marking waypoints. My graph has gps with the navionics card tho.....if im looking for new spots I use that.

S.

Ive got a $100 phone charger case and the navionics app on my iphone with a $2 phone mount in my boat.

Yes this app eats a lot of battery so it may not be the best for trolling all day. But getting spot to spot its as good as any true GPS. I use it around Georgian bay and it has not only got me around safely in some of the most dangerous water around, it also has put me on some absolutely insane fishing spots.

If you want to get really fancy, id even go with buying a tablet and throwing navionics on it.

I use navionics on my iphone, in a lifeproof case with a floater jacket, and I have an external battery that can charge it up 5 or 6 times, gets me through a weekend of camping using my phone for lake maps with lots of power still left

This is about the best setup you can ask for IMO. Agree with this 100%.

If you go ice fishing, strap a toe warmer or two to the back of your life proof case so the cold doesn't eat your battery.

I have a 62st, it's good for what I use it for but I never found any garmin product to be all that user intuitive, my 62st pisses me off a lot....and especially for lake maps would want a larger screen, so maybe I just need to get familiar with other garmin handhelds, I know they have some touch screen models

I have navionics hike and bike app on my phone as well, I find both apps to be pretty good for a casual gps user

the lifeproof floater jacket also helps insulate the phone I think, can't say I've actually timed the battery life but I feel it last a bit longer