Help with centerpin reel

Cosmos

Hi guys,

I would like to get some help with proper spooling of centerpin reel to fish Niagara river.

My current setup is Okuma Aventa 13'6" with spinning reel. I am pretty happy about it.

I bought another rod from Kevin(OFC member - thanks again Kevin) to be my backup or primary rod.

It's:

12316636_1640222706250582_60142925642044

I do have centerpin which is currently spooled with 330 yards of 6 Lb Sunline Mono, which is too light in my opinion for Niagara.

Here it is:

20151203_080731_zpsbdpb7lg5.jpg

20151203_080706_zpsgqu8rml2.jpg

I need to know what kind of line should i use on it and also if i do need any backing on it.

Where is an old post which is similar to mine but i hope some one can give me more up to date information.

Thanks a lot.

I would run some 20# dacron backing as a cushion and run 12# Raven main line.

Then you can run any leader you want on your setup that the rod can handle.

Also there is no need for a shot line as you can run your float and shot on the main line.

If you break off it will be the leader, just tie on a new one and get back to fishing.

This is the set up I run pretty much everywhere I fish with the float rod these days.

Looks to me that reel has a line guard. Best to remove it if possible, unless you plan on only using a "BC style" swing cast.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAUHV1qAk8 Thanks Mooch! B)

No amount of backing will help if you Side or Pull cast with a line guard reel! Mono backing is fine, as long as it is put on carefully. To much pressure can and will deform some spools depending on quality of manufacture of the reel. 150 yards of mainline on top of your backing should be sufficient for any situation ;) Then it is reasonable to change out your mainline a couple of times a season if you fish a lot :D

Beat me to it Ralph...LOL

Here comes Dave's response....LMAO :rofl2:

Edited by RDR

Like mono or braid?

I've heard that mono backing is not good.

On some reels, mainly those with pillars between the 2 halves of the spool , mono backing has been known to wedge creating pressure and distort the spool causing problems. You are probably OK with machined 1 piece spools but I wouldn't chance it, on reels like Stantons, JW Youngs, Aerials and stuff like that .........No way would I use mono backing.

edit: RDR beat me to it by 1 minute :tease:

Edited by dave524

You should never be into your backing anyhow. 15-20lb mono will fill the spool with ease.

"Shouldn't" is the operative word here.

In all my years I've only been into the backing once.

It was a big hot chrome fish on the Kenai in 2009.

By the time I got it stopped and turned it had 200 yds of mainline and 50 yds of backing out on me. :D

"Shouldn't" is the operative word here.

In all my years I've only been into the backing once.

It was a big hot chrome fish on the Kenai in 2009.

By the time I got it stopped and turned it had 200 yds of mainline and 50 yds of backing out on me. :D

OK..so just...go home OK :tease:

Oh come on,theres always us guys with the hero drifts. Man,that floats a ways down there,LOL

Even with my hero drifts there's no way I'm coming close to getting into my backing, lol!! What are those spoons of Nanofil? 150yrds?

Even with my hero drifts there's no way I'm coming close to getting into my backing, lol!! What are those spoons of Nanofil? 150yrds?

I saw 300yard spools of Nanofil at BPS this summer...You never know when that fish of a lifetime will hit 3 football fields away :D