Podiatrist. NF

captpierre

Not even remotely related to fishing.

I have a nasty big toe nail fungal infection and should probably have the nail removed.

Thinking I should see a podiatrist.

Does anybody know if their services are covered by OHIP?

Or should I see my family Doc.

Thanks

Peter

Maybe should be looking for a referral to a chiropodist, again family doctor for referral, (they are in a bit of short supply) my friend is currently in school to be one because of how easy it would be for him to open his own practice in the Hamilton area, if you're Mississauga or Toronto I'm sure you can find one close to you

Edited by Lucas F

Chiropody and Podiatry are all screwy in Ontario. I think only Podiatrists can bill OHIP and have a limited scope of practice. I don't even think all Podiatrists are recognized by the college either, because they changed the education requirements or something along those lines. I'd just go see your family doctor first and see what they suggest.

There are a couple of new products available for toe fungus. Typically the creams used in the past weren't able to penetrate the nail and were pretty useless. The newer products do penetrate the nail and will kill the fungus. You will then have to wait for the healthy nail to re-grow.

You don't need a referral from a doctor to see one and I know that my benefit package covers the service. As mentioned, I don't believe that OHIP covers this...

HH

Edit to add... if the tie is infected beyond just a fungus, OHIP will pay for treatment.

Edited by Headhunter

My daughter had a badly infected toe nail which she had to have removed in the fall. They tried antibiotics for 2 weeks but it was getting worse by the day and had to be dealt with. The two options we were given were to wait 8-12 weeks for it to be done under OHIP by the family doctor or go pay to have it done at a Podiatrist the same week. It was not covered by OHIP & cost about 400 bucks but with the bad infection she simply couldn't wait or she would have had gangrene or blood poisoning by the time it was treated (OHIP would have covered the treatment for these though no problem.... :rolleyes: ).

Edited by G.mech

I dealt with fungal infection on my toenails last year. I visited a podiatrist without any referral. Treatment involved 4 laser therapy treatments as well as removing the nail thickness that accompanies fungal infection of the nails. Nails are healthy again.

G.mech, if the toe was that bad, wouldn't a trip to emerg eliminate the wait time?

HH

That's where it all started; they gave her the antibiotics and told her to go to the family doctor as they were unable to perform the 'procedure' for whatever reason....

Edited by G.mech

Oil of Oregano. The most potent anti virak anti fungal that is natural. A couple drops a couple times a day. It'll take some time bit it does work.

Colloidal silver is hit or miss.

Oil of oregeno is very good

Olive leaf extract(high oleuropean content) is about as strong as it gets supplement wise