Can this be legal?

Big Cliff

Shooting towards houses...

Mind numbingly idiotic

Not really depending on the distance.

Most non-hunters have no idea of the distance bird shot will travel or better yet effective on killing "ducks" in this case. Forty yards is the MOST for killing waterfowl with today's steel shot and that's still a lucky shot by most accounts.

As a waterfowl hunter I was taught many moons ago to put one decoy out about 40 yards out from my duck blind to gauge the max killing range and don't shoot at anything beyond that range because you will only cripple ducks and mostly you will be wasting expensive ammo.

Now when a duck is flying in the swamp the best gauge you have is the trees. If they are above the tree line they are too high to kill.

Now you know the killing range of a shotgun using bird shot. Not nearly as far as you probably thought. So when you see a boat way off shore shooting towards shore, in most cases they are well beyond reaching shore with their shots. And even if their shot does reach you it's like heavy rain coming down on you as I have experienced this many times hunting swamps during duck season.

I used to use #2 lead shot for dealing with problem birds @ my pond.

The pond was 125 yards from the back of the house. I had no problem dispatching those fish stealing #$%^ with my old side by side 36" full choked scatter gun from the house. :whistling:

That was over 25 years ago old man...........lead hasn't been legal for at least that long and no one uses 36" full choke shotguns anymore and those were NOT ducks you killed at 125 yard where they ? ? ?

Let's bring this discussion back to reality and modern times.

Edited by Mister G

That was over 25 years ago old man...........lead hasn't been legal for at least that long and no one uses 36" full choke shotguns anymore and those were NOT ducks you killed at 125 yard where they ? ? ?

Just to set the record straight, lead shot was banned for hunting migratory birds in 1999 (16 years ago). Lead shot is still legal for other purposes, is readily available and is widely used for many things as are full choke barrels.

Edited by G.mech

Not really depending on the distance.

Most non-hunters have no idea of the distance bird shot will travel or better yet effective on killing "ducks" in this case. Forty yards is the MOST for killing waterfowl with today's steel shot and that's still a lucky shot by most accounts.

As a waterfowl hunter I was taught many moons ago to put one decoy out about 40 yards out from my duck blind to gauge the max killing range and don't shoot at anything beyond that range because you will only cripple ducks and mostly you will be wasting expensive ammo.

Now when a duck is flying in the swamp the best gauge you have is the trees. If they are above the tree line they are too high to kill.

Now you know the killing range of a shotgun using bird shot. Not nearly as far as you probably thought. So when you see a boat way off shore shooting towards shore, in most cases they are well beyond reaching shore with their shots. And even if their shot does reach you it's like heavy rain coming down on you as I have experienced this many times hunting swamps during duck season.

I understand this, and agree for the most part

im a bird hunter myself.

Regardless i think its just silly to shoot in that direction IMO

Just to set the record straight, lead shot was banned for hunting migratory birds in 1999 (16 years ago). Lead shot is still legal for other purposes, is readily available and is widely used for many things as are full choke barrels.

Actually Migratory waterfowl. Migratory birds such as woodcock can be hunted with lead even though you need a migratory bird permit to hunt them.

And you are correct that there are many uses for full choked barrels, even extra full chokes (turkey). ;)

No they were not ducks, they were larger fish stealing birds. ;)

Also my old double gun was purchased to shoot classic doubles sporting clay and trap competitions.

Just so happens it makes a great long distance fish stealing deterrent.

The shells were my old pre-ban goose loads.

I used to use #2 lead shot for dealing with problem birds @ my pond.

The pond was 125 yards from the back of the house. I had no problem dispatching those fish stealing #$%^ with my old side by side 36" full choked scatter gun from the house. :whistling:

I've shot lead on waterfowl from 65 till it was banned, Hunting Instructor for the MNR and also competitive trap and skeet, 125 yds no way, 70 maybe, you'd be lucky to scare them at 125 yds.

I've shot lead on waterfowl from 65 till it was banned, Hunting Instructor for the MNR and also competitive trap and skeet, 125 yds no way, 70 maybe, you'd be lucky to scare them at 125 yds.

I drove a golf ball across bass lake. I was stoked, thought it was at least 320 yard carry.

Hopped in the boat and measured it out, 260.

Easy to skew distances based off just your eyes

Sorry, but at 125 yds with #2 lead, I call Bull. I know your a smart fella, but that's a long poke for shot. Too long. You may get lucky with the one golden pellet the odd time, but that my friend, is too far for lead shot. How much hold over at 125yds for #2 shot?? haha

S.

Sorry, but at 125 yds with #2 lead, I call Bull. I know your a smart fella, but that's a long poke for shot. Too long. You may get lucky with the one golden pellet the odd time, but that my friend, is too far for lead shot. How much hold over at 125yds for #2 shot?? haha

S.

You be the judge.

Even going off this sat image of the old homestead it works out to about 100 meters between the house and closest part of the pond. As for the hold it's about 3' high. ;)

Capture2_zps0fnesjoh.jpg

I don't doubt the distance, just that the shot has enough energy to penetrate at that distance.

I would agree on the 3' holdover though LOL

S.

​You can go check the carcasses in the ditch behind the tree line for evidence if you like. :whistling:

Actually one of the cormorants I hit flipped over backwards and landed in the pond stone dead.

Other times I had to finish them off. ;)

Those big blue cormorants are really tough!!!! :unsure:

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Drifter, sorry I called you "Old Man" but it was done in respect........(I may be older)

However, being a avid waterfowl hunter and have shot thousands of rounds at ducks and geese I have to side with the Sinker on this issue.

BTW thanks for taking out that cormorant bird for all of us. One less thing to worry about :)

Also a hardcore waterfowler, born and raised as one.....i WISH I could kill something at 125 yds with a shotgun loaded with shot.

Like I said, you got lucky, and found the golden pellet. It happens once in a blue moon.

Nice job on the cormorant tho.....i dont care if they're 1000 yds as long as your killin em!

S.

Cormarant killers!

Ive never killed any but wow can they devistate a fishery.

Years ago rainy lake was almost a waste land because of those birds.

I never understood how bad it was till i seen it with my own eyes(i assumed other anglers were exagerating)

Come evening they literally blocked out the sun. And as we camped you could see them follow pelicans and steal their meals

It was unreal

Im not sure how the lake rebounded but i sure heard of alot of folk pouring gas on eggs(not sure why gas?)

Also a hardcore waterfowler, born and raised as one.....i WISH I could kill something at 125 yds with a shotgun loaded with shot.

Like I said, you got lucky, and found the golden pellet. It happens once in a blue moon.

Nice job on the cormorant tho.....i dont care if they're 1000 yds as long as your killin em!

S.

125 yards with lead is a chip shot!!!!!

Come on Sinker, i've seen you do it!! LOL