Boat trailer tire uneven wear

alexw

Hi all,

While inspecting my trailer tires, I found severe un-even wear on the outside edge of one of the tires (feathering?). The rest of the tire and the other tire are completed normal. I am wondering if any of you have had the same issue and could help me out here:

1) What could have caused the issue? I checked the bearing and bearing buddy, grease level is very low, but did not find any water or free play in the hub. Will repack the bearing anyways just in case.

2) If wheel alignment is off or need balancing, where can I take it to get it corrected. I tried Canadian Tire, but they don't service boat trailers.

I am attaching a picture of the tire here:

20150921 111353

Thanks in advance!

Alex

32 PSI sounds low for a trailer tire. I was very surprised to learn my new West Lake tires are 50 PSI.

Axle not square ? Axle bent ?

It is very confusing on the tire side wall. One place says "Max load 670 kg (1480lb) at 350kPa (50psi) cold", while another place under "Safty warning" on the same tire says "Never exceed 220 kPa (32 psi) Pressure". Should I do 32 or 50 psi?

I have always maintained 32 psi for both tires because of that "warning", since the other tire does not have uneven wear problem at all, I assume the pressure is ok, otherwise, I probably would have wear on both edges of both tires. That's why I was suspecting alignment or balancing issue originally.

20150922 165919

20150922 165944

Rick would be correct... the 32psi warning is for seating the bead during tire installation. They are then spec'd to be run at 50 psi, although you'll probably find 45 is a better ride for your boat.

As for the wear, looks like curb side on the trailer, you sure you're not driving with that tire 1/2 on 1/2 off the pavement most of the time and don't just need to venture out closer to the yellow line?

• Under inflation will wear both outside shoulders of the tire.
  • Over inflation will wear the centre of the tire.
  • Inside or outside shoulder wear is caused by alignment problems which, on a trailer, is usually a bent axle.
  • One tire wearing inside and one outside indicates that the axle is not mounted squarely.
  • I have seen trailer axles bend from guys putting a jack under the middle which would cause both tires to wear on outside shoulders.
  • If only one tire is wearing on one shoulder, I would suspect that the axle on that side is bent somewhere around the leaf spring or on the spindle itself. A trailer shop should be able to straighten it fairly close without replacing it. A bad bearing would do it too but would be pretty obvious.
Edited by G.mech

My current trailer had the same issue when I first had it. I had bought the boat and trailer used, but it had only been used a year or two when I bought it. I had to replace a tire the first year because one tire feathered that badly. I was going through a tire per year. I first put the boat and trailer on car jacks and I measured the distance of the tires/hubs/axle from the front and rear of the frame. It wasn't mounted squarely and I bumped one side ahead a bit. It didn't resolve the issue, so I put the whole works on the cars jacks again and I removed the axle and tires. I took the axle to a local welding/repair shop and we measured the distance between the hubs from the top, bottom, front and back of the hub. The front and back (the toe) were not the same, so we put the axle in a press and we bent it until the hubs were even front and back. It didn't take much. If I remember correctly, the top and bottom (the camber) were close so I left that alone. (The wear I had was a real feathering, not just increased wear that may occur if the camber is really out of whack.) It's been 3 or 4 years now and both tires are still quite good with lots of miles on them.

Possible reasons for my "toe" being out include a factory defect, or damage from pulling out of a bad ramp or hitting a hole too quickly or hard.

So I would start by making sure your axle is square on the frame. A simple measuring tape will do this. (remember that the frame may not be perfectly even in length on both sides, I'd rely on measuring from the front to the hub or tire the most.)

Then check the toe and camber. When I went to the welding shop, a tape measure was sufficient. I believe my camber was out about 1/4 inch.

I'm not a mechanic, but this worked for me. Good luck, Andy

the way I read that is "never exceed 220 to seat the bead. "? Inflate to 50lbs, cold and get a good gauge to check.

Rick would be correct... the 32psi warning is for seating the bead during tire installation. They are then spec'd to be run at 50 psi, although you'll probably find 45 is a better ride for your boat.

As for the wear, looks like curb side on the trailer, you sure you're not driving with that tire 1/2 on 1/2 off the pavement most of the time and don't just need to venture out closer to the yellow line?

Ahh, good point! Sorry I am not mechanically savvy and did not know what "seat the bead" mean until a moment ago after some googling. So I will inflate to 45 psi. This under inflation could be part of the problem if not THE only problem... hopefully.

The wear is on the outside edge of the curb side tire. I don't know if I was driving too close to the curb. I will pay attention next time when I tow.

• Under inflation will wear both outside shoulders of the tire.
  • Over inflation will wear the centre of the tire.
  • Inside or outside shoulder wear is caused by alignment problems which, on a trailer, is usually a bent axle.
  • One tire wearing inside and one outside indicates that the axle is not mounted squarely.
  • I have seen trailer axles bend from guys putting a jack under the middle which would cause both tires to wear on outside shoulders.
  • If only one tire is wearing on one shoulder, I would suspect that the axle on that side is bent somewhere around the leaf spring or on the spindle itself. A trailer shop should be able to straighten it fairly close without replacing it. A bad bearing would do it too but would be pretty obvious.

So based on reading spincast and irishfield's posts, it looks like I do have a under inflation problem. If that is the case, then I should see wear on both edges of both tires, which is not the case. This really confuses me.

I definitely would like to have a trailer shop look at the axle and spindle. Anybody know a good trailer shop in the GTA?

My current trailer had the same issue when I first had it. I had bought the boat and trailer used, but it had only been used a year or two when I bought it. I had to replace a tire the first year because one tire feathered that badly. I was going through a tire per year. I first put the boat and trailer on car jacks and I measured the distance of the tires/hubs/axle from the front and rear of the frame. It wasn't mounted squarely and I bumped one side ahead a bit. It didn't resolve the issue, so I put the whole works on the cars jacks again and I removed the axle and tires. I took the axle to a local welding/repair shop and we measured the distance between the hubs from the top, bottom, front and back of the hub. The front and back (the toe) were not the same, so we put the axle in a press and we bent it until the hubs were even front and back. It didn't take much. If I remember correctly, the top and bottom (the camber) were close so I left that alone. (The wear I had was a real feathering, not just increased wear that may occur if the camber is really out of whack.) It's been 3 or 4 years now and both tires are still quite good with lots of miles on them.

Possible reasons for my "toe" being out include a factory defect, or damage from pulling out of a bad ramp or hitting a hole too quickly or hard.

So I would start by making sure your axle is square on the frame. A simple measuring tape will do this. (remember that the frame may not be perfectly even in length on both sides, I'd rely on measuring from the front to the hub or tire the most.)

Then check the toe and camber. When I went to the welding shop, a tape measure was sufficient. I believe my camber was out about 1/4 inch.

I'm not a mechanic, but this worked for me. Good luck, Andy

As I said, I am not mechanically savvy and don't feel comfortable in dealing with things like "camber" or "toe". If someone can recommend a trailer shop that fixes this in the GTA, I would really appreciate it.

My guess js your axle is bent between the spring and the hub. I have used eastons on hwy 115 north or newcastle for trailer issues, but they're not exaxtly GTA......good guys though, and have always fixed me up. Great place to get a whole new axle too.....sometimes easier and cheaper than repairing one.

S.

My guess js your axle is bent between the spring and the hub. I have used eastons on hwy 115 north or newcastle for trailer issues, but they're not exaxtly GTA......good guys though, and have always fixed me up. Great place to get a whole new axle too.....sometimes easier and cheaper than repairing one.

S.

Thanks Sinker. Eastons does seem a bit far from me.

Princess auto would likely have a replacement axle to fit your trailer.

If you do not feel comfortable replacing it yourself, most any garage would likely swap it out for you.

Most likely cheaper then a specialty trailer shop, trying to straiten it. Plus if straitened and not reinforced some how; it'll likely bend again. Pop can effect, after its bent once it'll bend a second time easier.

Dan.