Question for you car guys

crappieperchhunter

Well I just got the owner's manual out and located the filter and removed it in under 1 minute. I'm going to get a filter and keep it in the house so I have a new filter to throw in the car whenever it goes to the dealership or whenever the one in there starts to stink.

I just hate the games the dealership plays. Buy a new car from them and they offer 5 years of free oil changes. GREAT. Then every time you take it in for your FREE oil change they are ALWAYS pointing out things while they are doing the oil change. When I phone to book my appointment I specifically ask is there any other service pending. If they say "yes" I get it done. If they say "no" I expect to only have the oil changed and not have them poking around the car looking for something else to charge me for.

Service is where most dealerships make most of their money. A lot of times they get very little markup on the cars they sell, unless they're used. They're relying on the fact that you'll come in to the dealership for all that work. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's generally how it is.

As for the OP, It's basically the same concept as the air filter on your furnace. Just keeps the air clean in your car. Mike Holmes would probably cry a single tear of pride if you changed it.

Is $90 for a cabin filter a money grab.......NO it's highway robbery ! ! ! When they can be purchased from RockAuto.com for $7.43 for that particular vehicle. Purchase 3 at a time as the shipping is the same.

How long do cabin filters need to be changed. That is a variable question/answer because it all depends on your local environmental surroundings that said vehicle encounters. Dusty roads or parking under a tree makes a huge difference then driving on clean highways and parking in a garage when not in use.

Most are located behind the glove box which takes 2 minutes to remove and replace. I recommend replacing the cabin filter once a year or sooner if you smell a musty odor when you turn on the A/C or heater. And at $7.43 each you have no excuse not to.

Firstly, as far as maintenance, even under warranty, you have the right to maintain your vehicle at any competent shop. If you follow the manufacturers recommended schedule and have documentation then you will have no issue with warranty.

Air and cabin filters have been an issue for a while where some dealers and some independent shops have been charging crazy prices and recommending way to frequent replacement intervals. In general terms, air and cabin filters should be replaced annually or every 20,000 Km. More frequently in severe operating conditions. Typical prices in my shop are in the $20 to $30 range for a quality filter, installed. (we do not charge for installation).

For those that want to do their own oil changes and think that they are saving money, think again. We charge $39.95 for a regular oil change and $79.95 for a synthetic oil change. Most weeks I have a special that is $10 off. This gets you up to 5 litres of oil, a standard oil filter, labour and a written 30 point vehicle inspection. Price out a 5 litre jug of QUALITY oil and a Quality filter and see how much you have left out of the above prices.

There are very good, average and not so good shops in this industry. The best advice I can give is find yourself one that has fair prices for quality work that you can trust.

You can't get a regular oil change up here for $80!!!

And synthetic is $150-$200 to have done here.

It costs me about $50 to do a synthetic oil change with a good Fram filter.

Some times less depending on if my oil is on sale or not.

I usually pick up a couple of jugs when it comes on sale @ CT. ;)

While obviously there are some shops that charge less for oil changes, in my neck of the woods it's at least $100 last I checked for synthetic oil change. I buy in quantity when I find a good sale and come in at way less per oil change. While a dealer is not required for service of an on warranty vehicle, I've found it removes all wiggle room from the dealer when a warranty issue comes to light. To each their own. It doesn't matter to me if folks want to pay through the nose for things, but not me!

I don't trust any shop, no matter what they charge for a oil change because believe me, they don't assign their best mechanics to do oil changes......plain and simple it's a kid that's still wet behind his ears doing oil changes on your $20k - $60k vehicle..........now do you see my point.

I have changed my own oil for my whole life and all of my vehicles just keep on running all while I have read about people having their oil changed at dealerships, quick oil change places and privately owned shops that had MANY problems too numerous to mention afterwards.

BTW I never spent more then $50 EVER on a full synthetic oil change by myself.........

For those that want to do their own oil changes and think that they are saving money, think again. We charge $39.95 for a regular oil change and $79.95 for a synthetic oil change. Most weeks I have a special that is $10 off. This gets you up to 5 litres of oil, a standard oil filter, labour and a written 30 point vehicle inspection. Price out a 5 litre jug of QUALITY oil and a Quality filter and see how much you have left out of the above prices.

Where's your shop John? the oil for my diesel Jeep is 100 bucks alone. :D

I agree, not much savings typically for DYI oil changes.. my jeep might be an exception.

i am at a dealer and a oil change is in the $50 range for most cars up to around $200 for the eco diesel.

lof always falls to the low man, if available us bestest mechanics are usually doing something like putting a ring and pinion in or putting clutches and steels in a transmission unless you want the kids trying that lol

i am at a dealer and a oil change is in the $50 range for most cars up to around $200 for the eco diesel.

lof always falls to the low man, if available us bestest mechanics are usually doing something like putting a ring and pinion in or putting clutches and steels in a transmission unless you want the kids trying that lol

That's correct.

We know how busy Chrysler is replacing transmissions and rear ends in Ram trucks.

It's amazing dealers have the time to even do an oil change!!! :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

I don't trust any shop, no matter what they charge for a oil change because believe me, they don't assign their best mechanics to do oil changes......plain and simple it's a kid that's still wet behind his ears doing oil changes on your $20k - $60k vehicle..........now do you see my point.

I have changed my own oil for my whole life and all of my vehicles just keep on running all while I have read about people having their oil changed at dealerships, quick oil change places and privately owned shops that had MANY problems too numerous to mention afterwards.

That's a pretty wide brush, you just used to slap all the honest, hard working mechanics and shop owners across the face with.

I own and operate a small 5 bay, 3 hoist shop; I have 3 licensed mechanics; myself being one of, Both my Techs have been with me since they were 17 or 18 years old; one is now 45 and the other is 34 years old. So yes when you come for an oil change, you are getting an experienced Tech working on your vehicle.

Will we see something that could use attention on a vehicle, possibly; but we do not create an issue; like what you're implying.

I have pride in my shop, my Techs; but most of all, all my customer's vehicles that I keep on the road.

At times I have had co-op students spend a semester here with us; he is watched like a hawk; when he's allowed to do something on his own. Once they have proved to us they're competent at a certain job, we give him a bit of rope; but he's still on my leash,

If we (any employer) don't help the young people interested in a profession; who the hell is.

Signed By

Ripoff garage owner.

Dan.

That's a pretty wide brush, you just used to slap all the honest, hard working mechanics and shop owners across the face with.

I own and operate a small 5 bay, 3 hoist shop; I have 3 licensed mechanics; myself being one of, Both my Techs have been with me since they were 17 or 18 years old; one is now 45 and the other is 34 years old. So yes when you come for an oil change, you are getting an experienced Tech working on your vehicle.

Will we see something that could use attention on a vehicle, possibly; but we do not create an issue; like what you're implying.

I have pride in my shop, my Techs; but most of all, all my customer's vehicles that I keep on the road.

At times I have had co-op students spend a semester here with us; he is watched like a hawk; when he's allowed to do something on his own. Once they have proved to us they're competent at a certain job, we give him a bit of rope; but he's still on my leash,

If we (any employer) don't help the young people interested in a profession; who the hell is.

Signed By

Ripoff garage owner.

Dan.

Thanks for taking the time to train the younger generations. Today's employment culture doesn't take the time to train anyone anymore. They just expect everyone to be fully certified and have 5 years of experience for entry level positions.

Now that the thread has been thoroughly derailed... if some of those damn boomers would just retire us younger people might be able to get a job ;)