NF "Wild" rice situation on the Tri-Lakes

buckhorn250

Anything stopping everyone from harvesting some wild rice?

About time this form of extortion got put to an end

Im not sure? Thats a good question

I would think anyone can harvest it? It grows wild

I know if I seen some id go harvest it. I see zero reason not too. Its free food, grows abundantly in nature

Edited by manitoubass2

A couple of my buddies were up there today goose hunting and said ths guy had no respect for them at all. He ran his boat 40 yds from their set up. They had to yell at the guy to back off. Speaks volumes to me!

S.

See this kinda thing drives me nuts.

Just because I have treaty rights doesnt mean I need to be rude to others on the water doing THEIR thing!

Goes both ways but sheesh, show some respect!!! To nature and your fellow man

I really hope this does not escalate into something that can't be stopped. The duck blinds out in the lake have been in the same location every fall since I have been here (just over 10 years) I am sure those hunters are not going to take too kindly to someone harvesting their decoys along with the rice.

OOPS....SORRY DIDN'T SEE THEM, WON'T CUT IT.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

Its a pretty sad situation. To be clear any resident of Canada has the right to harvest wild plants within the restrictions provided...protected plants, trees, shrubs, personal property.

The issue here is not the harvesting which is an absolute right....its the planting and seeding of the rice. Equivalent to one of use trying to plant a cash crop like corn in a public park. The treaty, permit and rights of this individual do not cover seeding. Its not his right to determine how much rice there should be in these lakes.

Also, another interesting angle were looking at is that he is marketing his product as "Wild Rice"...there is nothing wild about it...its a planted cash crop. I have a number of friends and colleges in the restaurant business in Toronto who have been approached and have purchased this product. They were shocked to hear the background (they advertise it as "wild rice") and there is a up swelling starting. Kill the market demand...kill the product.

Also to be clear this is one guy...its a shame that he is hiding behind his heritage and creating a negative association...its an individual not a group that has created this issue.

Its a pretty sad situation. To be clear any resident of Canada has the right to harvest wild plants within the restrictions provided...protected plants, trees, shrubs, personal property.

The issue here is not the harvesting which is an absolute right....its the planting and seeding of the rice. Equivalent to one of use trying to plant a cash crop like corn in a public park. The treaty, permit and rights of this individual do not cover seeding. Its not his right to determine how much rice there should be in these lakes.

Also, another interesting angle were looking at is that he is marketing his product as "Wild Rice"...there is nothing wild about it...its a planted cash crop. I have a number of friends and colleges in the restaurant business in Toronto who have been approached and have purchased this product. They were shocked to hear the background (they advertise it as "wild rice") and there is a up swelling starting. Kill the market demand...kill the product.

Also to be clear this is one guy...its a shame that he is hiding behind his heritage and creating a negative association...its an individual not a group that has created this issue.

great info,and glad you said it

simple solution using critical mass

every person that is Ticked off about this situation, should go out and collect 1lb of rice, or at least make an effort to destroy his crops...

if everyone gangs up on it, the problem is solved. The guy can say you are destroying his crops, but whos crops are they if they are planted on water...What is the guy going to do, press charges against 1000 people?

If this guy tried to do this on my bay, id be out there dragging a sickle a couple hours a day.

I personally think this guys an idiot...he knows bloody well what hes doing and hes using his status as a shield of sorts, its pretty pathetic.

Theres a proper way to go about things in order to avoid problems and hes simply making noise just to make noise. Ill also point out that an absolutely huge section of upper buckhorn and curve lake is beside the reserve...these areas are mostly barren of any structures or peoples cottages. If the guy wanted to plant rice in there, people would maybe still upset but his argument would be way more valid.

Instead this dink goes and plants rice in south pigeon infront of everyones cottages.

This reminds me of the story of when some status guys tried to say that it was their right to string a gill net across byng inlet during the walleye run...lets just say a few anchors were towed and (rumour has it some shots were fired) but that never happened again.

I feel bad for the native guys that try make an honest living, this kind of garbage just makes a lot of noise and I am sure makes it worse off for everyone.

Edited by AKRISONER

The way I understand it is Whetung has two licences to harvest - one commercial (he uses an airboat), the other traditional native (using a canoe). I think Pigeon is his commercial crop and Upper Chemong the traditional.

I dont see how he can plant and harvest commercially using his treaty rights as a backfall.

Homeowners and cottagers need to jump through permit hoops to change any part of their shoreline, but altering the lake for commercial gain goes unabated.

He sells the rice at the local farmers market. Anyone up for a protest....lol.