Canoe with outrigger or aluminium cartopper

huzzsaba

So I have been thinking of getting something that I can take in calm water ,is portable and stable enough to fish from and think a canoe with outriggers might do the job.

Just want some opinions on whether outriggers are as stable as what they claim to be. I would use it on smaller lakes and for fishing small to medium fish like bass or walleye. Lake trout at the most.

Other option is a inflatable boat but the cost of a good one is quite high and there is ways the risk of punctures.

At the most I would have 2 adults and 2 kids in the canoe for a total weight of 500 lbs.

Please advise

Edited by huzzsaba

Thanks for the replies. I did consider a aluminium boat but did not want to deal with having a trailer or having to put something on the roof of the car with that kind of weight. Who knows I may look into it since they are actually as cheap or cheaper than canoes.

I did see some with 2.5 hp motors on them. is that too little for a 12 ft aluminium boat with 4 people? Not looking to zip around the lake but as long as it moves at a decent speed is what matters.

I have a 16' scanoe with a 2 stroke 4 horse and with 2 people loaded up I can get to 10 kilometers an hour.. A tinny on the roof should be no problems, I had my scanoe 110lbs on each of my 02 Mazda protege 5 and now onto the roof of my Tucson.

Had to make some alterations with the Tucson but some 2x4s with some neoprene glued on and extended past the factory rails and its no problem, spend $50 on some nice ratchet straps and if you need roof racks there's always plenty on kijiji, not sure what beams are on smaller tinners but my canoe is 48" at the max and its perfect on my roof

Yes I guess I would have to fabricate something based on what I get. I have a volvo xc90 and it has the factory rails and cross bars. I probably wouldnt use it till next spring so I have all winter to fabricate something for the top.

As far as license goes and registering the boat, if I get a 12 foot aluminium boat with a 9.9 or less motor on it, what do I need to get to make it legal?

Thanks

I have already started looking on kijiji for 12 foot aluminium boat and seems like I can pick one up for cheap. I guess when the seller says it doesn't leak, I should believe him/her?

Another question I had was whether these small boats are stable enough to go out on the big lakes like Lake Ontario or lake Erie when the water is calm and the winds have died down? Not planning on going out too far, maybe stick to within a few hundred feet from the shore. I guess a bigger motor would be helpful on the big lakes too?

Lastly I am pretty handy and do most repairs on my car. In case something goes wrong with the small motor on the boat, is it something that is relatively easy to repair?

I am seriously considering getting a boat since I have the space in the garage to keep one.

Thanks for all the help!

Then go for a 14 foot deep and wide aluminum with a 15-20hp motor on a trailer if you've got the spare cash. You'll be much happier.

lol I will have a hard time just getting a little 12 foot boat as I have first got to get the blessings of the boss at home :whistling: .

I just did a search and found out that 9.9 hp motor on a 12 foot can be scary fast lol. I think I will stick to your recommendations of a 4-5 hp motor max.

Thanks

Ummm... Scary fast is a bit of a stretch I think. My Dad had a 12 foot wide body with a 4 HP 2 stroke and it was really slow. I would recommend the 9.9. You don't have to run Wide Open Throttle if you don't want to. If you can swing a 4 stroke, it'll be nice and quiet, good on gas, and you won't have to worry about mixing gas and oil. A 2 stroke is fine too, and probably easier to find.

When it starts to pour rain you'll thank me.

I had a canoe with a trolling motor and outriggers for a couple of seasons then a kayak to make loading easier. Liked them both but then sold them and bought a boat on a trailer the upgrade was only $3500 a lot but, not a crazy amount, I've never been happier! I use the boat all the time and if it wasn't such a pain Id load up some pics of them all...If you have the space go for it. Otherwise its expensive to store etc. and a pain if it isnt handy when ya want to get out. But something to consider...

It worked Shloim, good for you.

Huzzaba with 2 adults and 2 little people I would go with the tinny., not a canoe but I know you camp a lot. A personal choice. Why are you not wanting to trailer a boat? It's like Golf the more you practice the luckier you get, if its portability a 12 foot cart topper. That was my first boat 30 years ago. I'm not a big supporter of a tinny on the Great Lakes, especially with 4 people and 2 being kids. I don't see going too fast in a 12 footer with a 9.9. That's what the throttle control is for. It won't be a problem believe me with the boat full.

As far as a seller saying the boat doesn't leak ask them to show you. Take it out on the water, if it's a sea worthy boat they will not have any excuses not to. A simple 2 stroke isn't rocket science to work on. No winterizing, just take it into the basement for the winter. I store my 15 HP kicker in the laundry room all winter, a very understanding woman I have.