Perseid Meteor Shower

spincast

What are you talking about Netminder? A few of my very religious in laws tell me the earth is a few thousand years old. Dinosaurs is just a hoax started by people that wanted to make a museum popular in the 1800"s.

I was just outside looking up, nada. My wife was on the phone at the same time in the Muskoka's, clear there but no action either (better not be!!!!) We will look tomorrow night at same time.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

This stuff fascinates me. Basically proves the solar system isn't even done forming yet, after billions of years. Had a good show over the weekend when I was at my parent's cottage

The meteor shower is not really so much about the universe still growing but that we pass through the debris field of Comet Swift-Tuttle. EVERY year. Most media reports overblow the event and build up expectations but some years can be unbelievably spectacular.

I'll be heading up north to my cabin today and 2 am or so should be the best time for the Persieds tonight so try and stay awake till then. The waning crescent moon will make this year better than others as it comes up around sunrise.

Edited by woodenboater

The meteor shower is not really so much about the universe still growing but that we pass through the debris field of Comet Swift-Tuttle. EVERY year. Most media reports overblow the event and built up expectations but some years can be unbelievably spectacular.

I'll be heading up north to my cabin today and 2 am or so should be the best time for the Persieds tonight so try and stay awake till then. The waning crescent moon will make this year better than others as it comes up around sunrise.

didn't say anything about the universe... ;). But based on our knowledge of how the SOLAR SYSTEM formed, this is still kind of like accretion, where all the small stuff gets eaten up by the big stuff. The fact that there's still small stuff out here to be eaten up is really cool.

What are you talking about Netminder? A few of my very religious in laws tell me the earth is a few thousand years old. Dinosaurs is just a hoax started by people that wanted to make a museum popular in the 1800"s.

I was just outside looking up, nada. My wife was on the phone at the same time in the Muskoka's, clear there but no action either (better not be!!!!) We will look tomorrow night at same time.

It's OK, you can tell them continue to think that meteors are chunks of heaven blazing through the sky (whatever that means). But don't look directly at them. It's a bad omen (or good? who knows...).

I actually forgot about this last night... I think the sky was pretty clouded over anyway,

@netminder.

yea, we're but one of who knows how many solar systems out there. Makes one feel less than a grain of sand on all the beaches in the world when you think about it. Would be cool to have a Tardis to see how things look in a billion years or so or to see our sun go supernova

@netminder.

yea, we're but one of who knows how many solar systems out there. Makes one feel less than a grain of sand on all the beaches in the world when you think about it. Would be cool to have a Tardis to see how things look in a billion years or so or to see our sun go supernova

Not to get all technically on you here... but the sun will never supernova. Not big enough. But I do have a hard time fathoming the other stars not having planets orbiting them. The universe is such an awesome thing.

As Otto would say, "I don't need drugs to enjoy this, just to enhance it." lol

skies are looking great after a low bank moved out. meteor acidity is picking up with a couple of spectacular ones to the east and north (heading towards the big dipper), also some faint auroral activity on the north horizon.

supposed to peak at around 2 am so if you can, get outside while the skies are clear !