Rod Storage Options

sneak_e_pete

Hi all! Looking to the wealth of knowledge on this board to help me solve my boat rod storage problem.

I have a 14ft Princecraft Fisherman LX (1997 I think). I typically carry 5-6 rods when I fish and have no storage for them. I just lay them on each side of the boat on top of the storage lockers. Constant tangles and general pain on the butt!

I cant install horizontal rod racks because the clearance from the lids of the storage lockers is too small to the gunnel. Also, I wouldnt be able to open the storage lockers. I have thought about vertical storage at the transom, but think I would get into a mess when trolling or hooked into a good fish.

Wondering if anyone here has some good solutions / tips?

Thanks in advance!

Are you talking about storage for when you are docked or when you are on the water? My choice on the water is vertical. No way I can step on a nice outfit when it is pointing up. I made mine from a 3 foot section of 3" ABS and screwed 4 X 1.5" ABS onto it that the rods slide into. On the bottom I glued a reducing nipple that goes from 3" to 2". The 2" end fits perfectly over top of a seat pedestal that is mounted at the bow or rear casting platform. When I take the rods out I just pull the mount out and lay it up front. If I wanted 8 rods out of the way I could make another one. I copied it from a boat I saw at the marina. If you don't have a pedestal mount you can buy one for around 50 bucks at any Marina.

For your 14'er a triple rocket launcher for 20 bucks at CTC. for 40 bucks you can mount 6 rods nice and neat. If you can't store horizontally the only option is to go up. For your boat mount it on the bow] out of your way trolling. If you build one like mine when you don't need it just pull the pedestal mount out.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You could try vertical rod holders at both the front and the back of the boat. These can be purchases or home made as other have posted.

Having storage at both the front and back allows you to move the rods around depending on the type of fishing that you are doing. You can store them in bow when trolling or in stern when casting from the front of the boat.

I purchased the vertical plastic rod holders (4 rod capacity) from Ramakos in Sudbury. I troll a lot with my 14' Lund, so I mounted it on the vertical face of the bench seat beside the operators seat. It's out of my way while fishing & easy access when choosing another rod.

To avoid the tangles wrap your line around the rod a couple times and catch it on a guide.

In my tinny rods are stored in a bracket that's made to hold planters from a railing. Try a google search for deck rail planter brackets. Select "images" and look for the bracket that looks like it's made of thick wire. Hang that from your boats gunnel and you can hang 4 or 5 rods from that horizontally.

Are you talking about storage for when you are docked or when you are on the water? My choice on the water is vertical. No way I can step on a nice outfit when it is pointing up. I made mine from a 3 foot section of 3" ABS and screwed 4 X 1.5" ABS onto it that the rods slide into. On the bottom I glued a reducing nipple that goes from 3" to 2". The 2" end fits perfectly over top of a seat pedestal that is mounted at the bow or rear casting platform. When I take the rods out I just pull the mount out and lay it up front. If I wanted 8 rods out of the way I could make another one. I copied it from a boat I saw at the marina. If you don't have a pedestal mount you can buy one for around 50 bucks at any Marina.

For your 14'er a triple rocket launcher for 20 bucks at CTC. for 40 bucks you can mount 6 rods nice and neat. If you can't store horizontally the only option is to go up. For your boat mount it on the bow] out of your way trolling. If you build one like mine when you don't need it just pull the pedestal mount out.

Sounds interesting, would you have a pic of your holder?

Very insightful. Thanks for adding this!!!!

If your rods are getting wrecked because of no storage you might want to think of not carrying so many every time you fish.

I would think that when you go fishing you have a certain target species and type of fishing you plan for the day.

For 40 years I only owned 1 or 2 rods. I now have a few more. But, never would i require 5 or 6 different rods on a days fishing.

I was only suggesting that you might want to consider going with a bit less gear if you can't properly store it.

Thanks

That may work for you, but lots of folks like to have rods pre rigged for different things. I carry a a rod with a line counter for bottom bouncers and trolling cranks, a jig rod, a rod rigged with a slip float, a rod with a walking sinker rig and a rod for casting crankbaits on every trip. Minimum 5 rods for what I might want to do. I don't feel like re rigging every time I want to do something different. I might end up with one more in the boat if I want to fish for bass or pike for an hour as well. If 2 poles works for you that's great, but it doesn't do the job for everyone.

Very insightful. Thanks for adding this!!!!

You said you can't store them horizontal and you don't want to store them vertical

What else is there.

I get ripped a new one in 2 threads because I suggested taking fewer rods...what a beautiful forum

Maybe get a bigger boat

You said you can't store them horizontal and you don't want to store them vertical

What else is there.

I get ripped a new one in 2 threads because I suggested taking fewer rods...what a beautiful forum

Maybe get a bigger boat

Dara...not my intent. Sorry if you feel that you got ripped a new one.

Was just trying to emphasize that solutions to problems are what the original OP's are looking for. It's like asking the question "how to stay dry when fishing" and getting a response of "stay inside".

I am sure you have added a lot of value to the forum.

Like I said, I have been a member for many years...but my post count is small compared to many...I chime in when I have a joke or real knowledge on a topic.