Fresh Live Lobster

Big Cliff

As far as I know they close the lobster season in the Maritimes for 2 months while they are moulting. The timing varies with the region.

I know every time we travelled to PEI in July their season was closed.

During these times you can still get fresh lobster but they've been stored in pounds and are losing flesh.

Go to the other side of the island and the season may be open. I'm pretty sure they alternate seasons.

Well, I've checked out all the leads and a few that weren't mentioned here and it works out that if you want FRESH live lobster delivered to your door here in Ontario you are going to be paying about $20.00 ea for 1 to 1 1/2 lb lobster (estimated on qty of 10)including freight.

Tank lobster from Loblaws are going to run you about $10.99/lb unless you can find them on special and that can be hit and miss and the quality isn't going to be anywhere near that good.

Now, I was just thinking that if a few of us wanted to get together and place an order...... the freight cost would come down on a per lobster basis as the quantity goes up...... Anyone in the Kawartha's area that might be interested?

Here is how it would work: total number of lobster ordered/the total cost= your cost per lobster but you have to pick them up here on the day of delivery (would have to be a Friday afternoon/evening because Saturday freight would be extra. BTW, on an order of 50 cost would average $16.00 ea for an average lobster of 1.25 lbs.

If you are interested let me know and I'll see if we can put it together.

I've caught crayfish on the river here that are almost as big as some of those store bought lobsters! Let me know if you want any----you can have 'em for free! :D

When I was still working we had a 'lobsterfest' on a Fri aft in June for a few years. We had them flown in from PEI and they came out to about $20 each.

There is a difference in taste depending on where they are caught.. well, that's what the fishermen in Cape Breton tell me.. St Paul island lobster was the best I've ever had.. of course I got it right off the boat when it came in.. they offered me a huge one that wouldn't fit in our pot so I opted for 3 in the 2+ lb range . Best part of it all is that they wouldn't accept any money. If I could get some shipped from there I would do it in a heartbeat.