Good BBQ'd Back Rib Recipes (Sorry - NF)

Joey

I'm trying to find a good recipe for BBQ'd baby back ribs. I've tried a few and they just don't cut it.

All the recipes on the internet just seem so bland and/or too time consuming.

I don't want them to be messy and wet with BBQ sauce. I want kind of dry ribs (maybe a nice rub recipe), but not

overly dried out.

I've tried the smoker and that didn't appease my appetite for them either, as they were too dry (and the smoker cacked half way through and I had to bbq them after that).

I want to make them for my dad on father's day and he's a really good cook, so I'd like to impress!

So I appeal to the chefs out there, what is your fav BBQ rib recipe?

Thanks in advance.

Joey

If you want easy Joey, cut the ribs in serving sizes, put them in a foil pan with roughly chopped onion and cover with foil, cook at about 275 -300 till they are really tender. This will probably take 4-6 hours. Once they are done you can do one of two things... deep fry them quickly and then shake on sea salt and black pepper over them or throw them on the bar b que, brush on a little bit of your favorite sauce and cook till there are crisp bits... They stay fairly dry this way but are fall off the bone tender.

Hey Joey

Take a rack and put them on a sheet of foil big enough to wrap the ribs completely. I use the Heavy Duty stuff.

Then score the ribs with a knife along the bones.

Then add salt and pepper to taste, two cloves garlic pressed. A Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, some tabasco to taste, two tablespoons butter, drizzle with maple syrup and a couple tablesponss Worcester.

Wrap foil tightly and seal. Put on top rack of barbie with one burner on. Do not let temp go over 200 degrees.

Put on pre - soaked mesquite chips in smoker box at this time. Then have beer

After 45 mins open foil carefully (steam will escape) retrieve ribs and put on low flame and baste with any residual sauce from the foil.

To finish I take regular hickory BBQ sauce and mix some dijon with it say 1 tblspn per 1/2 cup and brush on and finish over flame so the sauce carmelizes.

Cut into single ribs or leave in half racks. Serves two.

Good Luck

OK, I used to cook professionally... it is how I put myself through university...<----NO poking FUN, and if you want amazing ribs do this...

you first boil the ribs in water, chopped up celery, chopped up carrots and onions, Add a bit of pickling spices. boil till they are cooked.

then place them covered in the fridge till they are cool over night if possible <--- this is KEY!

when you boil them you will lose alot of the fat (A bonus in drying them out.)

Next,

Take the now cooled ribs and rub them with a decent dry rub. if you want that recipe as well let me know... but any store bought one will do.

take some good wood chips.. be it Hickory, Cherry, Apple, mesquite, or even Maple.. Soak them for an hour or two or even overnight (as I do when I put the ribs in)... Place the chips in a couple layers of tin foil) and open the top a bit. Place this tin foil package on your stones or steel grate (under and away from the grate your ribs are.) get them smoking....Over Low-medium Heat

Place your ribs on the grill, and let then dry out even further on the grill over low heat... Keep a spritzer with water in it handy incase of flare-up

sauce them 20 minutes before serving.. allowing 10 minutes per side.

If you want to make your own Jack Daniels sauce let me know I have a wicked recipe!

let stand off the BBQ for 5-10 minutes..

I promise you the greatest ribs you have ever had.

if you need more info let me know. I know it sounds time consuming but it really is not.. you just boil em the night before and fire them on the the bbq about an hour before supper...

Gerritt.

OK, I used to cook professionally... it is how I put myself through university...<----NO poking FUN, and if you want amazing ribs do this...

you first boil the ribs in water, chopped up celery, chopped up carrots and onions, Add a bit of pickling spices. boil till they are cooked.

then place them covered in the fridge till they are cool over night if possible <--- this is KEY!

when you boil them you will lose alot of the fat (A bonus in drying them out.)

Next,

Take the now cooled ribs and rub them with a decent dry rub. if you want that recipe as well let me know... but any store bought one will do.

take some good wood chips.. be it Hickory, Cherry, Apple, mesquite, or even Maple.. Soak them for an hour or two or even overnight (as I do when I put the ribs in)... Place the chips in a couple layers of tin foil) and open the top a bit. Place this tin foil package on your stones or steel grate (under and away from the grate your ribs are.) get them smoking....Over Low-medium Heat

Place your ribs on the grill, and let then dry out even further on the grill over low heat... Keep a spritzer with water in it handy incase of flare-up

sauce them 20 minutes before serving.. allowing 10 minutes per side.

If you want to make your own Jack Daniels sauce let me know I have a wicked recipe!

let stand off the BBQ for 5-10 minutes..

I promise you the greatest ribs you have ever had.

if you need more info let me know. I know it sounds time consuming but it really is not.. you just boil em the night before and fire them on the the bbq about an hour before supper...

Gerritt.

Boiling them first has always worked for me, but I've never cooled them down in the fridge overnight. I'll have to try that....

Here is my world famous sauce... not to heavy not to light.. everyone that has tried it loves it!

Best Ever Barbecue Sauce

6 cups(1.5L) tomato sauce

3 cups(750ml) mild chili sauce

1 1/2 cups (375ml) cider vinegar

3/4 cup (175ml) worchestershire sauce

1 cup (250ml) liquid hickory smoke

6 tbsp.(100ml) molasses

3 tsp.(15ml) tabasco sauce

1 1/2 cups(375ml) brown sugar

2 extra large onions, chopped

1 large, lemon sliced

1 medium orange sliced

1 large lime, sliced

6 tsp (30ml) dry powdered mustard

1 cup (250ml) Jack daniels whiskey(optional)

salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients thoroughly in a large saucepan,bring gently to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.Stir from time to time to prevent scorching.Cool the sauce so you can handle it, then pass it through a fine sieve to remove the solid ingredients and pour into clean storage containers....

Gerritt.

Hi Joey

Here's one that I like:

Cut the ribs in single rib sizes. (hope you know what I mean)

Boil the ribs in water for about 5 - 7 minutes. Drain the water.

Get bottles of HV Sauce...Medium Garlic, or Strong Garlic depending on how garlicky you want them. I use medium.

Pour the HV Sauce into a big pot and add the ribs. Make sure there is enough of the sauce to cover them. And let them simmer...the longer they simmer the yummier they are. Especially leftovers the next day (if any) :) They are not dry.

Some people don't like using store bought sauces...but this brand is worth a try.

Bon appetite!

Joey, You need a smoker.. I've been cooking ribs for over 4 years competing with the best Ribbers from the Ribfest shows all over Ontario.. 92 Trophies for Best Sauce, Best Ribs and Peoples choice award in 2005..

Pm me if you need some info on ribs.. It's what I do for a living..

Oh... If you've ever been to a Ribfest, I am the Purple Pig Famous Smokehouse !!!!!! (Aurora)

Tiz

Solopaddler please do... but also add the veggies and spices... I promise you the most ender ribs you have ever experianced.

Let me know what you think when you try them!

PS... my batter aint that bad either ;)

Gerritt.

Joey,

Please check this web page. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

My first ever ribs were cooked on a charcoal smoker using these guidelines.

When you are ready to cook them, Fire up your gas grill use only one burner, (indierect cooking), bring the temp of the grill to 300*F.

Place an aluminum drip pan under the grills on the cool side. (You can add your favorite liquid to the pan, beer, bourbon, wine, etc)

Place ribs (bone side down) on cool side and CLOSE the lid. DO NO PEAK, cook for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, wrap the ribs in HD foil,(pour a little flavoured liquid on the ribs) and return to the grill, CLOSE lid, and cook for an additional 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, remove from foil, and return to grill and firm up, about 45minutes to 1 hour. during the last 30 minutes brush on your favourite BBQ sauce.

Remove from grill, place on platter and tent with foil, while you set the table, etc., cut into portions and serve. You can add additional sauce at this time, or place some sauce on the table and let your father put his own sauce on.

If you want a smoke flavour, pick up a package of BBQ Delight smoke pellets, sugar maple or apple go nice with ribs. Follow the directions on the package, and you will add a delightful flavour. (You can mix the apple and sugar maple together for a unique smoke flavour)

Enjoy.

John

Boil you guys are nuts. Olive oil and dry jurk rub thats it for the ingrediants.

24hours before put your ribs in a plastic bag add olive oil to coat the ribs and the dry jurk rub to coat all of the ribs and let sit for 24 hours.

Wrap the ribs in foil, pre cook the ribs in the oven for 3 hours at 150f take them out of the oven remove the foil and do the remaining of the cooking on the grill. Scoring the bone is a good thing and if your not putting all that sauce on it will be better for presintation. Peace Ken

Ps TisFun Purple Pig ribs would be the place to eat ribs. They are deffinetly in the top 3

Peters is number one Mine is number 2 lol

Boil you guys are nuts. Olive oil and dry jurk rub thats it for the ingrediants.

24hours before put your ribs in a plastic bag add olive oil to coat the ribs and the dry jurk rub to coat all of the ribs and let sit for 24 hours.

Wrap the ribs in foil, pre cook the ribs in the oven for 3 hours at 150f take them out of the oven remove the foil and do the remaining of the cooking on the grill. Scoring the bone is a good thing and if your not putting all that sauce on it will be better for presintation. Peace Ken

Ps TisFun Purple Pig ribs would be the place to eat ribs. They are deffinetly in the top 3

Peters is number one Mine is number 2 lol

I'm with bowshep on this one. Boiling them may remove some of the fat, but also removes most of the flavour. The best thing to do with boiled ribs is to make soup from the stock...... Oven roasting in foil is the way to go. Same fall off the bone tenderness, much more flavour and what the hay, a little pork fat never hurt anyone..... :whistling: I might add a slight slather of sauce on the grill tho'.........

I'm sooooo hungry. To hell with the pike derby, I suggest a cook off instead.

I love bbq ribs, I really do.

Hey doogle, come through to RibFest in Burlington Labour Day weekend. I would be honoured to buy you a pint and a rack!......

John...

Here's my dry rub recipe;

3 parts Kosher salt

3 parts garlic powder

3 parts Paprika

one part cayene pepper

one part onion powder

one part oregeno

one part thyme

one part basil

one part cracked black pepper

one part chili powder

Combine all the ingredients

PS... this is an AWESOME RUB for wings as well!

Generously rub onto FULL RACKS and wrap and store in the fridge over night if possible.

Grilling:

You will be using the in-direct method to cook on the grill. This method requires you to light the BBQ and bring it up to approx. 350degrees. Once the temp is obtained, shut ONE side of the BBQ off. Lay the full racks on the side that's off, stacking the racks on top of each other. (This method does require multiple racks or you can simple cut the full rack in half and stack them on each other that way) Rotate the racks every 20 min to 1/2 hour, putting the bottom rack at the top. Eventually, all of the ribs will have been both at the bottom of the pile and at the top. Continue to do this, until the ribs have cooked through.

Feel free to add more of the dry rub, every time you rotate the racks.

Should you wish to add BBQ sauce, wait until the ribs are almost done cooking, or the sauce will burn onto the ribs.

I have another recipe that does include boiling, but you indicated that you wanted the "dry" version and I think this has worked best for me in the past!

Good luck Joey... What time should I arrive! :thumbsup_anim:

HH