Missing boater on Lake Ontario

lew

These drownings happen every year. Very sad. I found some 10 or 15 foot kill switch tethers at my local marina for $5.00 each at the end of last season. Bought one for each motor. Used them last week when I was ot alone, and they were great. Unlike those short uselss ones that come with the boat, these didn't hinder my movement or turn off the motor accidentally when I was reaching for stuff on the other side of the boat. And I wear the auto-inflatable, with a whistle attached to it. Even the auto-tethers at a couple hundred bucks are a cheap investment when you look at what we pay for tackle, fishfinders, etc.

Very sorry for this families loss.

Sure hope they aren't watching this thread's direction.

from what I've heard first hand, and read, he didn't go over "peeing".

either way, the info on how to keep from going overboard while peeing is very valid.

it is understood the young gentleman had a rod in his hand when he went over....which means likely he was fighting a fish and many of us know how hairy that can get fishing solo with a big king on the end of your line.

RIP good Sir.

You have joined my good friend Serge the Kayaker, watching over the south shore around Grimsby / Jordan.

My condolences to his family, i agree that any talk of safety cant be a bad thing if it changes someones behaviour for the better even if it gets a bit silly at times. I myself might start going in the pail instead of over the rail...

Falling out of a boat can happen to anyone. And it happens in an instant, with no warning.

Lat year my buddy was fighting a monster, and BOOM, he was underwater. No idea what happened. Even as a strong athletic person, it wasn't easy getting back into the boat. Fortunately this situation had a happy ending. The other guy retrieved his rod and the fish was landed. That's not always the case.

IMG_2034.PNG

IMG_2035.PNG

IMG_2033.PNG

Crap happens, and it generally happens fast. If you ever end up in the water, the cavitation plate on your motor is your best friend. There are better options, like a boarding ladder but if your boat is not so equipped, the rear of the boat using the motor as a step is the best option.

These drownings happen every year. Very sad. I found some 10 or 15 foot kill switch tethers at my local marina for $5.00 each at the end of last season. Bought one for each motor. Used them last week when I was ot alone, and they were great. Unlike those short uselss ones that come with the boat, these didn't hinder my movement or turn off the motor accidentally when I was reaching for stuff on the other side of the boat. And I wear the auto-inflatable, with a whistle attached to it. Even the auto-tethers at a couple hundred bucks are a cheap investment when you look at what we pay for tackle, fishfinders, etc.

Very sorry for this families loss.

Sure hope they aren't watching this thread's direction.

Spincast, thanks for the idea of the longer tether. I fish on Lake Ontario alot by myself, and this would be helpful in staying safe.

I also googled something know as an autotether - where you wear a remote fob that when contacted in water will shut off your engine. Anybody know where you can get one of these in the GTA?

Bill

Spincast, thanks for the idea of the longer tether. I fish on Lake Ontario alot by myself, and this would be helpful in staying safe.

I also googled something know as an autotether - where you wear a remote fob that when contacted in water will shut off your engine. Anybody know where you can get one of these in the GTA?

Bill

I emailed the company and there are no canadian retailers at this time

I emailed the company and there are no canadian retailers at this time

These guys are getting them in.

http://www.centraloutboard.ca/

From another site.

They weren't aware of the product but we pointed it out in the Yamaha Canada offering here so they had no problem sourcing it.

https://yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=7&subGroupId=62&categoryId=242&itemId=2660

I think it took a couple of weeks to come in.

My condolences as well.Thank goodness my boat is to big for one person.Wear your life jackets.My sides are to high so I have a small bucket that works well.I would be hard pressed to get over the side when I'm at least waist height on the side wall fighting a fish.On your own,anything can happen.Very sad !!

Edited by davey buoy

Oh didn't know about those guys sorry, I'd just emailed the manufacture a half hour ago and this is the reply ; No not at this time. If you want to talk about it call me on 860-912-3774

But I guess. They can be sourced through someone else

Edited by Bondar

Bondar, Co2 Inflatables in Oakville carry them I believe (last time I was there I saw the autotether).

http://co2inflatables.com/

They are also the best Yamaha outboard service marina that I've ever used.

Thanks Steve and Everyone else! Went to to co2 at lunch as they are only 5 mins from where I work. $300 plus tax and I am on my way to being safer on the lake.

Bill

no problem Bill .

I had better follow my own advice and get one myself. I fish solo likely more than 50% of my fishing time...I generally don't even wear a life jacket.

With this horrible tragedy, combined with the fella who, by a saving grace, recently survived on Lake Simcoe because he was wearing a life jacket ... I had better get my crap in order.

A PFD won't help you when you're alone trolling 1 mile into a Great Lake and fall out of your boat into 60 degree water!

Use this tragedy as a reminder than fishing solo when the water is cold is extremely risky! I do it, but you must be extremely vigilant and take all precautions!

• 2 weeks later...

Just this past week I went overboard while out fishing with my kids.

I was leaning over the front of the pontoon waiting to drop the anchor ... I asked my 8 year old daughter to just bump the throttle forward a touch. For whatever reason she slammed it in reverse full speed. I went head over heels and landed in the water.

Fortunately she quickly put it back in neutral and I scrambled back in the boat (adrenaline made that pretty easy). If she hadn't put it back in neutral the boat would have slammed into shore at full reverse speed with my 8 and 5 year old kids on board.

It REALLY shook me up. It was my fault for asking her to use the throttle without having given her the proper instruction ahead of time. After that we went through some THOROUGH training on the boat, it's controls, and what to do in a bad situation.

It was a very harsh reminder how quickly a fun day on the water can turn tragic.

I had a crazy incident in my boat yesterday as well. I fainted. Not really sure why, but I passed out cold for over a minute. I had 3 other people in the boat with me, and none of them knew what to do, or even how to operate the boat! It was freaky.

Thank god I didn't fall overboard or it could have gotten scary quick!

I hadn't eaten all day, it was hot, and I hadn't had enough water. Crazy times.....I've never fainted in my life, it scared the crap out of me!!! Went to Emerg for a once over and everything is fine.

You never know when things are going to go bad, and when they do it happens fast, and ALWAYS when you lease expect it!!

Be safe out there folks!

S.

wow...really puts things into perspective...

how we push ourselves as boaters/fisherpeople the day of, maybe its an exciting day and you're taking guests/family for a cruise, or your're a hardcore fiend (like me) sacrificing sleep and food to fish. When one is not 100%, one small subconscious slip or mistake can quickly escalate into a critical situation.

Really important to take a step back and review what's important...and that's SAFETY FIRST