Big Fish using Simple Methods - May 17th, 2015

Steve

As the years go by, I find myself moving to a more simplified way of fishing.

I have all the toys. Leadcore, Copper, Wire, Divers, etc, etc, etc.

But there is something to be said about a spinning rod and reel, clean spoon, off a rigger. This year, like last year, has a smaller crop of Kings. Many skippers around, weighing 8 to 14lbs....and a few reaching 20lbs....a blast on light spinning tackle.

I just set into a light easy troll.

3cp6k0fE.jpg

The bottom was carpeted with aggressive lakers. When I got bored I would drop my rigger down to the bottom and immediately I'd get into a laker. Lakers are ok with the light tackle...but still leave a lot to be desired when it comes to a strong battle. thankfully they generally don't deep hook lures, and I'm able to shake them off the back of the boat....even the bigger girls that approach 20lbs.

Every 20 minutes or so, I"d drop my rigger down, and bring up a laker....keeping my other rigger set at 45' down.

I don't use down speed or down temp, but I could tell that the cold water was still high, without any temp breaks. I maintained my spread up high, and around 9:30am it paid off.

The fish didn't slam the rigger.....but knowing where my rigger was set, I knew it wasn't a laker....figured a coho or bow.

Picked up the rod and tightened up the line....then the fish went banana's. I use 15lbs braid (4lbs diameter) on 4000 sized reels...holds approx 700' of line....For the first time in years I was almost spooled. When the fish hits, I immediately throw the boat in neutral. That is key when fishing the super light tackle. Running a small spread without copper, dipsy's, etc, allows me to control a fish much easier.

Because I don't drag the fish back to the boat, the fish is still quite green...making for a fun battle, bringing me 360's around my boat, and of course under it. But that is the fun of light tackle...rather than just winching the kings in.

ncAHtAJW.jpg

DrVxFmuZ.jpg

As I fight and land the fish with the boat in neutral, It makes for very healthy releases.....taking the time to revive a fish caught on light tackle is VERY IMPORTANT (if your not keeping them of course).

However, with 46 degree surface temps it doesn't take to long to get'em going again.

Jiva78Bj.jpg

Traditional King tackle can easily overpower the average size of King this year...and without much bait in the lake this year, I'm sure these kings are going to stay lean and powerful. I didn't mark a single pod of bait from the Lift Bridge to Bronte...but I didn't see any bait along the entire south shore this spring for that matter. With the smaller fish average it makes for great eaters! Just about every King caught right now is perfect for the smoker or BBQ.

I fished for another three hours, catching and releasing 15 or more lakers, and one more small King.

If you just looking for rod bend, head out to 120' of water, drop on bottom, and watch your rod tips start to bounce...Laker On!!! :) :) :)

Edited by Steve

Great report Steve !!! Awesome on light tackle thanks for sharing !!! I'm really starting to miss Lake Ontario fishing ..... About time I made a trip down there !!!! Nice pic if that silver king too !!! Wow ..... ???. Great release shot too ....

Nice report Steve. They are a blast .

Been using long rods and spinning reels on Simcoe for as long as I can remember. It,s just in the last 2 years,I have gone to using the pin instead of the spinning reel. Theres no drag,just the palm of my hand to control the fish. I also like the long rods for those hits that wont take the line off the clip. The rod tip will bounce enough to see they are on.

Thanks for posting

Very nice Steve. As soon as I read the title I wanted to read. I don't have all the toys…lol…one day maybe(hopefully)….but I love a simple rig over complicated set ups, the lighter the tackle the better also for me. Great post, nice fish. That 50 yamaha I would kill for :ninja: