Lake O report 05/17/15

ckewley

2015-05-17%2005.52.38_zpsfmdfjyh2.jpg

Launch around 5:15 & after playing chicken with a lake freighter coming into dock we were cursing out to our starting point. Water temps were were between 42-45* in 90 FOW & it wasn't long before a plainer went off with a little shaker King. After trolling around for a bit & marking allot of fish with no hits my buddy pulls out this water probe & sticks on his rigger. I have no idea what this thing is till he tells me it checks temp & speed of the current....technology sure is awesome!!! Everything was in check so we switch out a few spoons & within a few minutes a rigger fires & I pull up a nice Laker (75Ft).

IMG_0844_zpstcf8iodw.jpg

Followed shortly by the first King of the day. A decent maybe 3 yr old that would have been the biggest King of the day (85ft). Things seem to dry up when the sun peaked so we head off to where my friends hit pay dirt yesterday. Water temps were a bit colder around 39-42* in 190 FOW & it was THE BIG EMPTY for at least an hour, the wind seemed to shift a bit & became overcast & it was almost as if someone hit a switch.

IMG_0846_zps6ep1bbqq.jpg

This glut might be my PB Laker, man I love catching these guy's (85ft). After boating a few more decent Lakers (8 lb range, 75-85ft) the feeling was the morning King bite was lost. We continued to troll around looking for those elusive fish when the non active rigger fires (85ft). Right away you knew it was a salmon as it darted upward to meet you, actually got a wee bit of hang time. He felt much bigger than he was, in fact he fought harder than my next King.

IMG_0848_zpsqvxdgal7.jpg

The sun came back in full force & started to melt our faces, but we were in a prime patch. Double headers firing with Lakers, small Kings hitting a cheaters & then I get into my biggest King of the day.

IMG_0851_zpsgm2gf4us.jpg

Things finally stopped firing around 1 or so, so we headed back to port. Really couldn't have asked for a better day. Lake O was like glass, little wind, the sun wasn't too hot (I hate the heat), the BUGS sucked but the fish rocked!! Boated north of 15 fish & my friends let me do most of the heavy lifting so I can't complain one iota.

good stuff.

those lakers were everywhere.

I fished solo with two spinning rods.

one set on bottom in 115' of water, the other down 45' (where the kings were).

I took 14 lakers, biggest being 21lbs. Only took two kings, but one was just shy of 19lbs.

It was close to spooling me .... I run 15lbs braid on 4000 sized shimano's. I get 650' of line or so....thankfully.

Great day on the water !!

Edited by Steve