One more Nip Callander Report with Great Story

Like many others i headed up to Callander bay for my annual trip. Fishing was great. Weather was great, time was great. We caught tons of walleye, pike, perch, sheephead with the occasional out of season small mouth and a catfish on a spoon of all things.

I will post pictures soon. Had to share this story.

Me and my buddy are fishing in one of the bays for pike. Caught a bunch of 2 pounders and hoping to catch the big one. We are fishing in 5-6 feet of water when my buddy who is using a spoon hooks into one. I put my rod down with my lure still in the water to run over and net his fish which appears to be on the bigger side. He looses it right at the boat (maybe 4 pounds or so). Just as i turn to walk to the front of the boat, something hits my rod and i watch helplessly as it flies over the side of the boat. With my polarized glasses i see my cork handle swimming away. Franticly, I start to take wallet, keys, etc etc out of my pockets, take my shoes of hoping to jump in after it. It is a $200 dollar rod and real combo, the most expensive outfit i have. By the time i all the important stuff out, i no longer see the cork rod handle. All i could do was $@#%@#$^@#$^#@^%#$%&$%&&@#$^#$^@#$^$#@ and $#@%@#$%$#%$@# some more. We start circling the area using the trolling motor for what was roughly 15 min and had all but given up when out of the corner of my eye, i see a flash of my cork handle. Glasses and everything i jump out of the boat the same instant. Start feeling around the bottom and to my astonishment in about 6 feet of water i grab hold of the middle portion of my rod. After surfacing with a monster smile on my face, i handed the rod to my buddy and then swam around the back of the boat to get out of the water using my ladder.

As soon as I start to climb out, my buddy is yelling at me to grab the net. We end up landing what was a 7-8 pound pike still holding on to my lure. Needless to say it was halfway down his throat and a live release was impossible. We did get some nice pike fillets out of it but in my mind the coolest personal fishing story.

that's a crazy story lol !! glad that you got ur rod back and that 7-8lb pike!

learned a new tactic today haha ... if fishing gets slow, leave your rod down with ur lure in the water. :D

lets see some pics now :P