April 26 Catfish report

Acountdeleted

I'm not going to hijack Simon and Ricks thread so I'll start another one.

I had been looking forward to this all winter. As much as I love ice fishing, my first sign of spring is catching some monster cats with Pete on Trout opener. This year I was exceptionally lucky because both my girlfriend and grandfather were able to come.

Earlier this week my girlfriend had asked what time we were waking up to go fishing and followed it up by 'please say we can sleep in until 9.' When I told her we had to be there at 7:30 she wasn't too pleased. So needless to say I was shocked when the alarm went off at 5:30 and she was already awake........ who is this person and what have you done with Nikki?

Some breakfast and we were on our way. A nice drive and a few stories later and we meet up with Pete at the dock. Can I just say, I love this guy in a totally hetero, big brother kinda way. Boat is all ready to go, everything is all prepared, all we needed was to throw in our gear and we were on our way.

The first 2 hours started off a little slow. We agreed that Nikki would have the right reeling rod and my grandfather and I would each take a leftie one. Needless to say the cold morning did not stop Nikki from getting us started.

photo%201_2_zpsoubxnhut.jpg

Look at the size of it! Its bigger then her!

I think, if I remember correctly, she had boated 4 before my grandfather and I even had one. (watch out guys. This girl can fish).

As the weather began to warm up the water temps got better and the cats decided to get a little friskier. Here is my grandfather with a nice one.

photo%204_zpshit0jjza.jpg

I managed to land some nice cats as well.

photo%205_1_zps2zdlymzq.jpg

I always look tired in these ones.

photo%205_2_zpsjso271dz.jpg

But really, it was Nikki putting on a clinic once again.

photo%202_2_zpsfsxidget.jpg

photo%202_zpsvuobfdfz.jpg

After meeting up with Simon and Rick, some lunch and a bit of a bathroom break, we were back on the water again. In the afternoon, the sun decided to duck behind the clouds and didn't want to come out to play anymore. The water cooled down just a little bit but it was enough to make the cats lethargic.

Didn't stop Nikki though.

photo%201_1_zpsajbrd7l6.jpg

She nabbed a few more.

As the day grew longer we all began to get a little cold and a little sleepy. It was time to head back home.

Final count:

Nikki: 7

Grandfather: 4

Me: 3.

Once again, thank you so much to Pete for showing us an amazing time. I always have so much fun out on the water with him and the fishing was top notch as always.

Haha bromance accepted Jer, thanks for the kind words. I do try my best to ensure everyone has a good time on the water and catches lots of fish.

You guys were a blast to fish with. Nikki certainly has the magic touch and your grandfathers stories were wonderful. You took some great pictures as well! I really miss the days fishing with my Otati (grandpa in Hungarian), treasure these moments.

As a thanks for that good karma you sent my way, I have a treat for you and Brian this summer, but I'm going to keep you both in suspense for a little while... (This is my revenge for him keeping me in suspense for the truck-stuck story!)

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete