Hazards of the sun while fishing

misfish

Just got back from the Doc about my baddly sun burnt pedal foot.Not good,1st and 2nd degree burn. :oops::w00t::wallbash: Barely can get my boot on it,s that sore and swollen.

I need to get a better pair of sandels that cover more foot skin,and was told to start wearing sunscreen.

So I ask you,what is the best product out there that protects but still allows to tan? :)

Guest mistyriver1

Judging by your avatar Brian, you might want to consider something that stops your skin from turning green. :whistling:

J/K couldn't resist....

Although I hate wearing the stuff, I do almost always carry "sweater in a bottle" or more commonly know as spf 40! You will still get a tan, just not one that turns into water blisters! Also, be aware that many bug repellents act like baby oil on your skin and attract the sun. Nothing says sun tan like baked in Muskoil!

HH

Just got back from the Doc about my baddly sun burnt pedal foot.Not good,1st and 2nd degree burn. :oops:

Sorry about your pain, but that's kinda funny :D . Only a fisherman would have a sun burnt pedal foot!

Me? I'm still dealing with Carpal Tunnel in my right arm from swinging my heavy float rod and 15 gram floats all winter :) .

I pretty much stick with Coppertone Sport, it's not as greasy as some of the others, doesn't have a scent that attracts bugs and is waterproof. 15 SPF if I want to tan a bit, 45 SPF if I'm looking for complete protection.

Brian, why the heck do you want to tan... At best you'll end up with farmers tan to go with the raccoon tan. I wear long sleeves and full pants with socks and shoes (no socks and sandals for me) and also try to be diligent about the sunscreen.

The sun is nothing to mess around with.

Skin cancer is still a form of cancer and that's nothing to be played with.

Charles

I know the feeling, I usually have a freshly shaven head and got blisters on it last year it was so bad, so I always wear sunscreen now. I started with 30spf this year and gradually got a tan, and have since moved to 15spf and in a couple more weeks I'll go to a 10spf average I would say.

It would depend on the day as well I guess, if you feel something starting to burn or get red, slap that 30spf on and you'll be good to go.

I got sun stoke my first time to Florida fresh off the plane it was so damn hot and the second time I went, I hit the tanning salon 3-4 times before ( metrosexuall style I know :lol: ) anyway it really worked great to get a good base before the summer or a trip in the winter.

As far as product names, there are too many to choose from, it's a personal choice, just go by the SPF as a basic rule.

Brian, why the heck do you want to tan... At best you'll end up with farmers tan to go with the raccoon tan. I wear long sleeves and full pants with socks and shoes (no socks and sandals for me) and also try to be diligent about the sunscreen.

The sun is nothing to mess around with.

Skin cancer is still a form of cancer and that's nothing to be played with.

Charles

Hey Charles

As soon as I seen yer name I started laughing,remember Rice :lol: .Thats another hazard with that sunscreen stuff,it gets on your net handle.LOL

no socks and sandals for me

Now thats just wrong,nasty,both words shouldnt even be in the same sentence.

I always wear a hat GB and I too shave the mellon for the summer,it,s almost time.

Edited by misfish

I hear your pain i once ended up in lindsay hospital :stretcher: from sunstroke from fishing 12hrs straight on pigeon lake.. :o:( ..i was throwing up ,and was burnt so bad i had to get an I.V to replace lost fluids and had 1,2,3 begree burns,man i was sick and will never do that again :blink::stretcher: ,it was about 15yrs ago,and now on hot days i will fish till about 11am then go in and nap or rest then stay out of the sun and then go out after dinner for the night bite....man you will only do that once and from that point on i be-very carefull about the sun on hot,hot days,so hope you get well soon and dont do what i did......i can still hear the doc saying it could have killed me....he said i should be glad i was young at the time and my body could fight off the burn he said if i was middle aged i would have maybe died...... :dunno::mellow: ...

i also learned my lesson this past weekend lol ... now my back is all red and it got so itchy that i woke up in the middle of the night.

now i'll remember to bring that sunscreen every time i head out.

Brian, some of the pros have had issues with skin cancer caused by frequent and excessive exposure to the sun while out fishing, Bill Dance comes to mind as one that was mentioned. Care is needed, sunscreen, a hat, and clothes! Especially the guy from bama!

yup

been there...done that..and I do feel your pain.....sorry to here about the sun burn

my problem was years of working outside without sun glasses

then after work going fishing without sun glasses and weekends too...at 35 I had cataracts in both my eyes...

learnt the hard way to wear sunglasses

I recommend the Kinesys brand. We use it as it is one of the very few brands that my daughter can use due to Eczema. This is the only brand I'll use now too - non greasy and nice and light.

It's easier to find nowadays.

Guest lundboy

Don't let the sun fool you, some of my worst sunburns have been on overcast days. I use SPF30 minimum and it used to be the Coppertone Sport Gel in the dark blue bottle. But a couple of years ago something changed in that stuff that made it only last about 2 hrs and you would have to smear more on (it used to last me the whole day one application).

Having blistered my ears/feet/neck more than once (oh the pain), I make sure that I put sunscreen on more often and at least 1/2 hour before exposure as it says on the bottle. I have also switched to a more health friendly type that you can get at organic/health food stores... it costs more, but doesn't seem quite as sticky/greasy and probably is better for your skin (since it is worn for 8hrs or more).

I use this brand and it seems to work well:

http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=72

How sunscreens work:

"There are many different brands of sunscreen available. They are classified according to their active ingredients, as some products contain chemical filters, some contain physical filters, and some contain both.

* Chemical filters absorb some of the UV radiation and convert it into heat. There are more chemical filters that absorb UVB rays than absorb UVA rays.

* Physical filters are small particles (usually zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) that scatter and reflect both UVB and UVA rays."

You can also get Sunveil clothing:

http://www.sunveil.com/catalog_men_wear.html

Edited by lundboy

Speaking of hats, I don't get the whole ball cap thing when fishing. They cover the top of your head just fine, and mebbee your beak, but not well, and not anything else like your ears or the back of your neck. Get yerself a proper sun hat, like the one stylishly worn by Tybo.

Speaking of hats, I don't get the whole ball cap thing when fishing. They cover the top of your head just fine, and mebbee your beak, but not well, and not anything else like your ears or the back of your neck. Get yerself a proper sun hat, like the one stylishly worn by Tybo.

Yah...but we don't all look as good as you, in Tilley, Douglas !

Maybe I'll dig out the old sumbraro(sp?) that I have around here somewhere....

Roy...you've always got a better angle on things...