2015 Ontario moose regs NF

Algoma Guy

I hunt in 19.. lots of tags available but I'm sure it's because they want to reduce the moose population to almost none in order to save the woodland caribou population. The "science" behind this is a little strange to me. Just reduce the wolf population....

What were the changes?

You can only hunt for calf during the 3rd and 4th week of the season. They also reduced tags by 15%. In the wmu I hunt it went from 7 people for a gaurented bull in 2014 ito no group tags available for bull 2015. As well next year they are going delay the rifle hunt for one week. I am surprised there hasn't been more media coverage. I for one was very disappointed.

in area 40 we went from 67 bull tags to 5bull 9 cow

this is the best about it though there is a 3 week archery hunt then a 5 week rifle hunt after that, when bringing up shortening the season to the mnr for the last 10 yrs they had no reply at all to my comment.

Same here Lew.

I dont think Ive ever seen an unsuccessful dear hunt in this area.

Its more pick your shot and your animal.

Last year I helped a friend set up a blind and we seem 15 deer the whole hour we were there lol. Had a quick laugh about why he needed a blind haha

Ill see if I can find a pic I have of a deer kissing my cat in our front lawn lol

Edited by manitoubass2

There's really a host of issues but number one in my opinion is the guaranteed calf tag.. I hunt in WMU 40, one of the most heavily hunted units in Ontario if not THE most hunted.. There's no way the moose populations could keep up with this... Coupled with poor recruitment, more predators, it was only a matter of time before the population would crash.

It's a drastic move but it's needed. Let's just hope the population can recover. I'd love to see more moose on the Montreal River in a few years..

theres a reason why moose tags are scarce. sadly government wont deal with the issues.. even northerners cant get tags. mmmm do you smell something I do.

The reason for the decline in moose populations in most areas (especially those adjacent to Algonquin Park) is obvious, but not permitted to be discussed.

There's really a host of issues but number one in my opinion is the guaranteed calf tag.. I hunt in WMU 40, one of the most heavily hunted units in Ontario if not THE most hunted.. There's no way the moose populations could keep up with this... Coupled with poor recruitment, more predators, it was only a matter of time before the population would crash.

It's a drastic move but it's needed. Let's just hope the population can recover. I'd love to see more moose on the Montreal River in a few years..

It's a reaction not a action that was needed years ago..........another shame IMHO.

Well I just saw the trickle down effect myself 10 minutes ago. One of my long time customers just called me up and said "sell my airplane, as I can't justify it anymore". He's only real "justification" was using it in the fall to access his moose camp, that he and his father built back in 1976, almost into Lady Evelyn / Smoothwater Park. He just told me he needs the airplane for about 2 or 3 days to clean out camp and shut it down and then it's available to anyone willing to buy it.

The Temagami district they hunt and apply for tags in just went from 109 tags available to only 14 ! Odds of getting a tag use to be 1 in 40 for Bulls and 1 in 20 for Cows... it's now about 1 in 512 and 1 in 102!

Not sure Chris, a lot of the fact for many is just because you get a tag doesn't mean you'll find Bullwinkle to fill it. Last year was the first in about 6 that they got a bull tag, other years they had cow only and that's 5 guys in camp putting in for the draw. So the years they had cow tags they saw a bull or two each year that they couldn't shoot and last year the weather was so bad they came home empty handed again with the inability to go too far from camp and only seeing Cows. So I guess with the chances now 512 to 1 that they'd even get a Bull tag they're packing it in... and will probably go to Quebec and hunt there. Quebec will love the $ input.

Also note... the airplane CANNOT be used to spot or hunt Moose, it's only the transportation to camp.