Need advice in regards to MTO and insurance

huzzsaba

Last year I bought a car for cheap as a project car. I registered it with a temp plate. Fast forward to today and I'm ready to put it on the road, and get insurance on it. I go the local Service Ontario (at Sheridan mall in Mississauga) and everything is fine until they look at the insurance policy number. They have never asked for proof of insurance ever for all the times I went to register my cars. This time they did out of the blue, so I called my insurance (Belair) and have them fax the temporary insurance slip to the Service Ontario.

The fax comes with Belair's standard insurance slip which comes standard with a different format than the pink insurance slips that we carry around in our cars. The agents at Service Ontario refused to accept it even though it was faxed straight from Belair and it had all the information on it from my name, address, Vin number, effective date, policy number etc etc. They refused to accept because it did not look like the one we carry around. I call Belair back, and ask them to make a copy of the pink one that they would send me, and they tell me that they don't have that format of temporary insurance card in their system and the only way I can get it is to wait in the mail.

So now, Service Ontario is blaming Belair, and Belair is blaming Service Ontario saying they never had this issue with their temporary insurance slips. And Im the one who is stuck in the middle and doing everything by the book! :wallbash:

Belair is telling me to try another location saying they the Sheridan mall location is being too picky for no reason, and Service Ontario Sheridan Mall is not budging and want the original looking ones faxed to them that don't exist according to Belair.

At the moment my only choice is to try another Service Ontario location or wait for the actual cards to come in the mail and then register the car.

I'm just trying to figure out if its that specific Service Ontario location that is being a pain, or is it all around like that. if that is the case at every service Ontario, then us Belair customers are screwed as they wont accept our temp insurance cards :whistling:

All dealerships do the same when you buy from them. Insurance company faxes a copy of the policy number and off you drive. Go back and give who ever it is, and give them a slap up side the head. LOL

Brian you are so right, only if we could. A few years back I needed a OHIP card, go on my lunch and there is line up, finally get to a wicket, sorry sir we need a passport or citizenship card. I have a driver's licence social insurance number . . .NO. I tell that friendly person I have been paying federal and provincial taxes for over 35 years, just look me up and see. NO, we need your passport! back to work and pay more taxes!

I wish I had taken care of the one with no picture.

Dont get me started on the health card issue. Damit all. I lost mine and tried to get another. You will not believe what a true born Canadian citizen had to go through to get one. First I need to get a birth cert. I didnt have that either. So apply for birth cert. The questions they ask on the form. Like I remember 50 years ago what hospital and doctor delivered me. They ask the norm questions,mothers maiden name. Got that one. The next is, where was she born? Ok got that too. East coast. Wrong answer so Im told. Ok, NFLD. Where in NFLD? On an Island. Wrong answer again. At this point Im getting pissed and say, if I was new to the country, would that work faster for me??

Yes Brian I know how you feel, been here for 57 years and they still don't believe me!!!! But they still take my taxes:( and I've never collected a cent from them.

next time tou're on Lake Ontario come on shore call a cop, and claim refugee status, they will love you!

You are dealing with the provincial gov. it's best to shrug your shoulders and go somewhere else. I want everyone applying for a OHIP card to have proof of citizenship. If not everyone that just "lives in Ontario" would be eligible for OHIP. So that is one rule I agree with, it might be a pain but it's a good rule. It's a good reason to have a valid Passport even if there are no plans to travel outside the country. Having a Passport saves a lot of hassle.

You are dealing with the provincial gov. it's best to shrug your shoulders and go somewhere else. I want everyone applying for a OHIP card to have proof of citizenship. If not everyone that just "lives in Ontario" would be eligible for OHIP. So that is one rule I agree with, it might be a pain but it's a good rule. It's a good reason to have a valid Passport even if there are no plans to travel outside the country. Having a Passport saves a lot of hassle.

I may be out of line here, sorry. I have been for 57 years. I have paid taxes for 35 plus I'm a CANADIAN citizen. How come people who are here illigaly get better treatment than us.

This may be going down the tube fast :)

I have a valid passport.

Just go get a citizanship card, they never expire! Got mine over 40 years ago and it is still good to this day, picture doesn't look much like me anymore but that doesn't matter, I show the card, good as gold!