2015 Baseball Thread

AKRISONER

i didnt even think the wildcard was attainable but somehow the jays are right back in the race. Seems like the AL east is peaking and the rest are falling off.

theres still over half a season to go...WC and Division Lead is very obtainable

I sure as heck am!!!

We're going to the tenth. Every time the game goes into extra innings, I'm reminded of the August 2014 19 inning game I listened to all day, into my picnic, and on the 1 hour drive home. They were getting ready to use a starter if it went to the 20th inning. They had used every pitcher in the bull pen if I recall correctly, although I had some barley pops on the picnic so....

• 1 month later...

So how about that Tulo Trade! Iv'e always wanted to land him somehow but i just figured it was a pipe dream....

The GM AA sure likes to come outta nowhere and shock us with huge moves...See ya later Reyes and your sloppy Defense...I liked Reyes but i would hate to see him continue botching routine plays throughout the stretch that could easily turn W into L

Gave up some great Prospects for sure but there is still a lot left over to potentially trade for some more pitching help.

Won't miss his defense, thats for sure. what will be missed is the great mood he usually brings to clubhouse, and his bat. but Tulo will make up for the bat and shoddy defense.

With Tulo locked in to 2020, that leaves room to move Goins, as well as Navaro, and possibly Carrera. Thole is rotting down in AAA, and the faster you can be rid of Dickie, the better

What a player to pick up. The jays now have:

The best 3B in baseball

The best SS in baseball

The best RF in baseball.

What a scary lineup.

Just sad to see Hoffman and Castro go, but you gotta spend money to make money.

You forgot about arguably the best catcher too.

The worst bullpen in baseball or close to it...

The worst starting pitching in baseball or close to it...

Pitching gets you to the playoff and pitching wins you championships....as a general rule....

Just look back at the Jays championship teams....

And then there's this. The bullpen seems to have figured it out lately, but the starting rotation could use at least another arm. I think now that they picked up Hawkins they should think about making Sanchez a starter again, and pick up the best pitcher they can without selling the farm in the process.

The bullpen is good, just overworked when you your starters can't get past the 4th or 5th inning. Badly needed starting pitching, and a possibly a closer? or run with Osuna/Sanchez in a shared closer roll

Samardzja (sp) is available, but with his contract up this year, take the risk he'll walk?

Or does AA have another trick up his sleeve that no one sees coming?

When I first heard that they traded for Troy Tulowitzki, I thought maybe it was to trade him to another club for a good pitcher, and not just a rental. It sounds like they mean to keep him though. This should be an interesting week though.

When I first heard that they traded for Troy Tulowitzki, I thought maybe it was to trade him to another club for a good pitcher, and not just a rental. It sounds like they mean to keep him though. This should be an interesting week though.

His contract has an activated no trade clause in it, meaning he can be traded once, and then the no trade clause kicks in. he also under club control for the next 5 years. was a good trade to upgrade a key position, and with the slower turf at the dome, his range will be increased.

The fans tonight welcomed him with open arms at the dome

What a game by Tulo. Obviously he isn't going to show that magic every night but geez. 3-5 with 2 doubles and a home run. Welcome to Toronto!

As per the pitching I'm super nervous about a rental. I like the Tulo deal because the jays get to keep him for 5 years. If the Jays get Price, he goes 10-2 in his last 15 starts and the jays still miss the playoffs, it puts us in a real real bad spot.

I look around the league and wonder, how do teams like Detroit not win? How are teams like Toronto and The Dodgers not 25 games over .500? On the other hand I am not a Yankees fan but they are really having a great year and no one wins more consistently than St. Louis. There line-up is only average, but their pitching is outstanding. More than that they simply know how to win; they rarely squander opportunities. Hopefully some day my Pirates will figure it out too.

the Jays have 13+ blown saves in the first half, with a good closer that number would be around maybe 2, and the Jays would be in a great spot

Totally agree. The problem is, Bob McCowan says it best, other then 2 or 3 guys, the closer position is a coin flip if the guy will be good or terrible.

Not all those saves were blown by the "closer" so to speak. You can blow a save in the 7th or 8th, and not all of those turned into losses. However, I will contend It was a bad bullpen by committee for a long time early on. I think they've figured it out though. Dubront was DFA'ed so they need a starter by Sunday. My money is on someone from within, but anything can happen.

It's funny the tigers are a half game behind the jays for the wild card and they're selling, while the Jays seem to be all in so far.

Cole Hamels was picked up by the Rangers. They're not building for this year but for the future. The Jays might be doing the same thing hoping that the remaining young arms come up and produce next year. Who knows. There's still 30 hours until the trade deadline.

Edited by netminder