Long sleeve UV protection fishware?

Raycaster

Wouldn't NIke/Adidas/Reebok/etc long sleeve dry fit work as well? I've worn one of those in Bermuda during August on the water. Didn't get burnt, fabric was lightweight, breathable, despite it being black in colour. Some can be form fitting and others can be semi-form fitting. Lots of styles and colours to choose from.

I'm thinking those UPF ratings are marketing hype as well. Many of our favourite fishing caps don't have a UPF rating and they seem to be fine as well.

I was lucky to amass a few of those workout long sleeve dry fit tops during sales, without the need to pick up some $60 and up Columbia/Simms/etc.

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.boatingmag.com/gear/boatinglab-tests-upf-rated-clothing

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

I do some canoeing in the summer sun and what I found works best is a white dress shirt 1 or 2 sizes too big from Goodwill or Sally Ann. Not very fashionable but I don't GAS.

I have been doing the same for years. You can either wash them or throw them away if they are to messed up. Most of the time they are a buck or two usually.

art

A normal shirt in 90 degree weather really sucks though.

Agreed that CAN be the case. But with a white shirt to reflect a lot of the sun and a very loose fit so that it doesn't stick to my back it works quite well. I sometimes dip it in the water. The evaporation from a cotton shirt lasts for a while and has quite the cooling effect.

How much of this UPF clothing is hype? I have never gotten sunburned thru a normal shirt.

Honestly, I think it is more designed to be breathable and moisture wicking more than anything. I am with you and beleive that a regular shirt has about the same amount of sun protection so that part is marketing. The fact is, the clothing is specifically designed for fishing . They probably figured if we would spend a fortune on gear, why not market some clothes for it?

I know I would prefer to wear a Comumbia UPF long sleeve than a cotton t shirt any day of the week.

And yes, I beleive the Nike/Adidas shirts would work just as well.

As it was described to me by a dermatologist at the hospital, any rating over UPF30 doesn't really add much to the overall protection from UV rays. Once you hit UPF30, you block approx 97% of UV rays. UPF 60 will not give twice the protection against UV rays unless you consider that it may provide additional longevity against water and sweat.

I read that darker coloured fabrics block UV rays better than lighter coloured ones. You'd feel the heat if you were wearing black though.

I'm a big fan of synthetic long sleeve shirts. I bought a number of Simms shirts on clearance and have a number of generic polyester and coolmax shirts. They keep me cool in the heat and I don't get sun burned...They also dry very fast when I'm wet wading.

I'm covered up well when the sun is beaming down. Hat, buff, polarized sun glasses, Simms guide shirt, Simms guide sun gloves, Simms lightweight zip-off pants, polypropylene socks, Columbia water shoes FTW! :D

DSC_9978a_zpscd5467d8.jpg