Carp fishing?

So for the first time in over 15 years I find myself unemployed in April (long story). While I look for work I have gone a little stir crazy. I know nothing about steelhead and would rather try to target the magestic carp in all her splendor. I know spots I even (think) I know how to catch one. My only question is, what's a good time of the year to start targeting? Is it still too cold?

For me it is haha, i was surprised to see rich clemens report last year that was in early april if i remember correctly. I think if you can find open water its worth a shot but there are some serious carpies on here that i imagine will chime in.

Normally i start getting them about a week or two after the crappie start in my backyard

They generally show up here by the hundreds in front of our place, (Erie) sometime at the end of April or beginning of May and can stay for 2 to 4 weeks.The noise of their frolicking can wake you on a calm night.

I have seen guys fish the creeks here where they dump into the lake when there is still snow banks on the beach. When they do spawn here they aren't interested much in feeding. So if you are looking for carp get out to Haldimand county after ice out. That may be a while as I don't see any open water here from the beach to the horizon. This warmer weather might change that really soon though. PM me if you wish I'll give you directions, actually it's no big secret so when I see them in I will post their locations here, remind me. Really all you have to do is drive along the Lakeshore and look for them splashing around. Beware trespassing on private property.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Two years ago I got a good one around the first week in May after a doctors appointment...

A lot of carpers west of Hamilton fish for them all winter...

Randy or Mike or Victor might clue you in on that area...

Try chumming a area you want to target a day or two in advance.

This will get the carp to stick around in the area.

I always do this, even as i am crappie fishing ill throw my chum all into one area and will watch for the telltale signs of them feeding, if i see signs i switch to my big rod.

So ideal time to fish them is when you find them in water over 50 degrees... They seam a lot more active at these temps...

You can catch them year round but personally I like the pre spawn fishing in April-May and post spawn in June... After that I'm done with them for the year...

Fishing from now till spawn is generally best in shallow warm bays...

After the spawn they start to head for deeper open water depending on the lake/river...