Beer and wine sales in Ontario NF well kinda!

Headhunter

Lets stop with the personal attacks on each other, enough already! If you disagree with someones point of view fine, debate it if you will or agree to disagree but let it go at that.

Over the years we have had some very heated topics discussed on here and some real eye opening debates but I don't ever remember this level of attacks on anyones charactor being tolerated before.

You are absolutely correct Cliff

One who instigates and feels they are beyond reproach is sadly mistaken. Especially one with delusions of grandeur. Besides.......HE STARTED IT!!!!!! ;)

There seems to be a fast growing trend in the craft brew industry. They have a very small % of the market,but they are starting to have an impact IMO. I myself love trying new beers. Going into The Beer Store experience needs to change. Walking into the same ole same ole is getting boring. I think it would be awesome if they would allow costumers to try a samples. Give us more choices. Just seems the big 3 just sit back and watch there accounts grow.

There seems to be a fast growing trend in the craft brew industry. They have a very small % of the market,but they are starting to have an impact IMO. I myself love trying new beers. Going into The Beer Store experience needs to change. Walking into the same ole same ole is getting boring. I think it would be awesome if they would allow costumers to try a samples. Give us more choices. Just seems the big 3 just sit back and watch there accounts grow.

I used to really enjoy tasting all the offerings. I got that from my gramps. He collected bottles of beer he had tried from all over the place then displayed them in his bar. It was pretty cool.

Ive probably tried well over a thousand beers in my life.

It would be cool to see craft stores where you could go in and get a 6 pack of different beers to try

Doesn't effect me much, I've been buying my booze from a corner store for the last 15 yrs anyways. I have 3 of them within 20 mins of my place. The closest used to be a truck trailer until they made it an actual building lol

I don't see what the big deal is. Go pretty much anywhere else and you can buy it in the store. I grew up in NFLD, and that's where you go to get your booze.

S.

I used to really enjoy tasting all the offerings. I got that from my gramps. He collected bottles of beer he had tried from all over the place then displayed them in his bar. It was pretty cool.

Ive probably tried well over a thousand beers in my life.

It would be cool to see craft stores where you could go in and get a 6 pack of different beers to try

I do this all the time in the LCBO. It's how I aquired my taste for Hobgoblin.

Craft breweries can get their beer into beer stores for free now, actually a new thing. Large grocery stores are not going to carry brands from small breweries since there's no money in it. The "big brands" sell 67% of the total beer in quebec while in Ontario it's closer to about 50%. Wynne is flat out lying but hey, that's what politicians do.

I do this all the time in the LCBO. It's how I aquired my taste for Hobgoblin.

Ive long exceeded what the LCBO and the Beer Store offer lol

Ever try Innus & Gunn (I think thats what its called?). I like that for a sipping beer, like 2-3 max

Edited by manitoubass2

No I'll look for it. If you ever get a chance try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewYCTpdhQxg

Ive already tried it m&s. Cant remember how it tastes? I saved the bottle though?

The beer i was talking about youll find in the LCBO but probably only in singles. They make 3 differents brews that im aware of, get the regular one. They come in real nice glass bottles.

The price dropped alot. First time I bought a 12 pack(actually maybe a 6 pack cant remember) it was like $60 or something rediculous. Last time I bought one I think it was $4 for a single

I looked up images and i dont believe i tried that one on the right?

innis-and-gunn-beer-london-cocktail-scho

Craft breweries can get their beer into beer stores for free now, actually a new thing. Large grocery stores are not going to carry brands from small breweries since there's no money in it. The "big brands" sell 67% of the total beer in quebec while in Ontario it's closer to about 50%. Wynne is flat out lying but hey, that's what politicians do.

No,and their only allowed a very small amount of shelf space

Edited by lakerguy

Ive already tried it m&s. Cant remember how it tastes? I saved the bottle though?

The beer i was talking about youll find in the LCBO but probably only in singles. They make 3 differents brews that im aware of, get the regular one. They come in real nice glass bottles.

The price dropped alot. First time I bought a 12 pack(actually maybe a 6 pack cant remember) it was like $60 or something rediculous. Last time I bought one I think it was $4 for a single

I looked up images and i dont believe i tried that one on the right?

innis-and-gunn-beer-london-cocktail-scho

+1 to innis & gunn... My favourite beer hands down, and yeah in LCBO's they're about 4.45 for the big bottles I don't get the small ones haha

+1 to innis & gunn... My favourite beer hands down, and yeah in LCBO's they're about 4.45 for the big bottles I don't get the small ones haha

I didnt even know they came in big bottles now lol. Must be pretty popular these days. I havent had one for about 6 years. But out of all the beers ive had over the years this is one of the handfull that stuck out

I cant believe the price dropped so much

Edited by manitoubass2

Yes,but their only allowed a very small amount of shelf space

If they become popular and sell the Beer Store will carry more, thus selling more. It's up to these small breweries to make a good product and market it well. Nobody is going to order more of a product that doesn't sell and give it tons of shelf space, it will go skunky. That's just bad business.

If they become popular and sell the Beer Store will carry more, thus selling more. It's up to these small breweries to make a good product and market it well. Nobody is going to order more of a product that doesn't sell and give it tons of shelf space, it will go skunky. That's just bad business.

Not 100% correct,craft brewers can't just willy nilly start stocking the shelves at te beer store no matter how good it is or how well it's been marketed. Right now the way it's set up,small craft brewers have to pay around 26k per beer variety to list in about a 100 stores. Those $$ are supposed to be lowered as an olive branch to the craft brewers. The beer store is offering 3 seats to the craft brewers in total. Saporro has 5 molson and Anheuser have 13 I think.

There offering local brewers the chance for free listings in the closest 3 beer stores,the irony is that would steal from their existing customers who already drive to the brewery to buy their beer.....the beer store simply wants too take those sales. It's a frigged up system. The beer store is arrogant and know they have a solid monopoly

Edited by lakerguy

I didnt even know they came in big bottles now lol. Must be pretty popular these days. I havent had one for about 6 years. But out of all the beers ive had over the years this is one of the handfull that stuck out

I cant believe the price dropped so much

Yeah in Hamilton there's only 2 stores that have it in the 660mL bottles, they used to be 750mLs but the price did come down accordingly. They also have the tall cans but I prefer it in glass bottles, the flavour is more consistent in glass than cans in my opinion too

Yeah in Hamilton there's only 2 stores that have it in the 660mL bottles, they used to be 750mLs but the price did come down accordingly. They also have the tall cans but I prefer it in glass bottles, the flavour is more consistent in glass than cans in my opinion too

Wow im outta the loop. Didnt even know they came in cans lol

Yes that's correct. Right now the way it's set up,small craft brewers have to pay around 26k per beer variety to list in about a 100 stores. Those $$ are supposed to be lowered as an olive branch to the craft brewers. The beer store is offering 3 seats to the craft brewers in total. Saporro has 5 molson and Anheuser have 13 I think.

There offering local brewers the chance for free listings in the closest 3 beer stores,the irony is that would steal from their existing customers who already drive to the brewery to buy their beer.....the beer store simply wants too take those sales. It's a frigged up system. The beer store is arrogant and know they have a solid monopoly

Edited by lakerguy

The LCBO is no different. For wine, it's $35,000 per year just to get a listing for one type of wine and there's no guarantee of shelf space. I'm friends with several owners of family run vineyards in Australia, and for them, it's just not worth it. Shame. Consumers in Ontario are deprived of several great products because of the LCBO's greed.

The LCBO is no different. For wine, it's $35,000 per year just to get a listing for one type of wine and there's no guarantee of shelf space. I'm friends with several owners of family run vineyards in Australia, and for them, it's just not worth it. Shame. Consumers in Ontario are deprived of several great products because of the LCBO's greed.

You summed it up with that one word..."shame"

It's actually the 5 closest stores, not 3. I'm sure Walmart or some other large grocery chain won't charge them money to carry their product though....oh wait, they won't even carry their product because there's no money in it. They'll carry carling, coors light, Canadian, bud, etc... You know, things that actually sell.

You can feel sorry for small breweries all you like but the fact is most people buy the popular beer and stick with it, small business are pretty much death in today's market. What needs to be done is more marketing towards beer as not just a summer beverage to get drunk on but as a very wide range of favours and styles. Wine is thought of as a great drink paired with certain foods but beer actually pairs better with food than wine does. Drinking from the proper style glasses that match the kind of beer would eliminate much of the "beer isn't classy like wine" kind of mentality.