Poor Man's Filet Mignon (NF)

solopaddler

Funny I was trying to tell people that last year with the shortage of animals running through the auctions that prices were going to keep going up. Lot of herds in Ontario were downsized over the past 2 years, and more of what was available was going south. The few herdsmen I still know are not planning on raising their head numbers any time soon.

Before I moved here to Brighton, I grew up purchasing beef from a farmer in Mount Hope. He was paid 2.00 per pound in cash. Hanging weight. The beef was better then any ethylene packaged beef you will find in stores, because of how he "finished" his cattle.

It was wicked beef, and benefitted us both. If I remember correctly I paid .40 cents per pound to Dearsley meats in Ancaster to process the animal. The kill fee was 60.00 or .10 per pound.

For a 600lb animal I paid 2.50 or 1500.00. Many time I split this animal with another family, due to freezer space and not wanting the meat to freezer burn. 300lbs of beef would last us 9-12 months.

Steaks, roasts, ribs, ground, organs and soup bones were all included

Try buying medium ground beef for 2.50 a pound...

The farmer is where its at for farm to table and for cost savings.

G

Edited by Gerritt

No MB2.. the Olive oil does it. Coat with just enough, with the back of a spoon, to cover the cut of meat... add your spices and put back in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours. Bring back out 1.5 hours before throwing on the Q. I had a bunch of guys to camp in 2006, one of them was the head chef for the Keg in Seattle Washington.

Edited by irishfield

No MB2.. the Olive oil does it. Coat with just enough, with the back of a spoon, to cover the cut of meat... add your spices and put back in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours. Bring back out 1.5 hours before throwing on the Q. I had a bunch of guys to camp in 2006, one of them was the head chef for the Keg in Seattle Washington.

Need to try that!

Ic ic. Sorry I kinda took that the wrong way.

I never would have thought of olive oil. Since it burns at low heat it probably gives those nice grill marks as well

Another way is to use about the same amount of salt you'd normally put on it...but do it a couple of hrs before. You're not getting more salt than you would have otherwise used, but it will have had time to soak into the meat and break down the fibres a little.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this method with pork chops? I grilled some last night on the bbq and they were a little tough.

Did you overcook them? I see lotsa people that dry out pork chops or pork steak.

As much as I love them on the bbq when done properly, I prefer to cook mine in a liquid and that keep them really moist and tender

Also, if bbqing or baking or broiling, cover them afterand let them rest for bout 5 minutes

Edited by manitoubass2

Tried not too overcook, but they were quite thin and it doesn't take much...I usually do them on the stove in a sauce of some sort but wanted to take advantage of the nice weather!

Yeah no doubt. Pork steaks and pork chops are two items I wont leave unattended on the bbq. They overcook or undercook in the span of a minute or so.

Make sure to tinfoil tent them regardless and let them settle, makes a big difference.

I also keep basting them with liquid while bbqing. Or if you add say a bbq sauce, you can tell they are done basically when the sauce lightly caramalizes

Tried the salt thing last night, coated the steak in coarse salt for about an hour then rinced it off and BBQd it. Steak was very tender but way too salty for even my liking and I like salt.

Did you wash them thoroughly enough?

Ive done this along time and you shouldnt taste salty or maybe just a touch. It shouldnt add a salty taste.

Also I use coarse sea salt. What salt did you use?

Edited by manitoubass2

Id only use it on cheap cuts.

Other meats can be prepared super tender without salt method.

Roasting a lamb leg wouldnt benefit imo because its cooked with moisture and can be basted.

You can use olive oil before rubbing though(like irishfield mentioned about beef cuts)

Edited by manitoubass2

Something I do with pork tenderloin or thick chops.

Marinate with oyster sauce,I know,sounds gross but does give a very nice flavour & keeps them moist & tender.

Just put pork in a ziplock with chopped garlic & oyster sauce.No salt needed because oyster sauce is salty enuf as is.

Let them marinade for 8hrs & put right on grill no rinsing.

Did you wash them thoroughly enough?

Ive done this along time and you shouldnt taste salty or maybe just a touch. It shouldnt add a salty taste.

Also I use coarse sea salt. What salt did you use?

I used coarse sea salt but perhaps I didn't wash them well enough, I just rinsed them under the tap. I will try it again next time I do a steak but will wash them better.

You want a perfect butt chop? Indirect heat. You dont need flame to cook them. Doing this method allows the meat to cook slow and allow the fat to drip away with no flame ups. Once it,s at the desired tenderness, I just throw them on the hot grill for some char .

I love indirect heat cooking. Chicken,ribs and one of my fav, meat loaf. Smoke chips are a great addition as well. Ya you use more propane,but it,s the bomb.

Im in the market for a new BBQ this year.

Edited by Brian B

You want a perfect butt chop? Indirect heat. You dont need flame to cook them. Doing this method allows the meat to cook slow and allow the fat to drip away with no flame ups. Once it,s at the desired tenderness, I just throw them on the hot grill for some char .

I love indirect heat cooking. Chicken,ribs and one of my fav, meat loaf. Smoke chips are a great addition as well. Ya you use more propane,but it,s the bomb.

Im in the market for a new BBQ this year.

\

slow cooking is the way to go. when i do ribs on weekend, i turn one burner on low, put the ribs on the opposite side, and let em cook for 3 hours or less, when the meat pulls back from the ends of the bones about a quarter inch, they're done!

going to smoking a pork butt tomorrow for pulled pork!

Not a fan of salting. Yes it does tenderize...no doubt. But it alters the texture, taste. You are either on board or not. I am not. Aging however works for me, I put a thawed prime rib roast in the fridge uncovered for a week before i cook it and then cook it slow at 225 degrees until the internal temp is 135-140...heaven....and very rarely have left overs. Only problem... when you do a roast this way...no juice for gravy. But we have a killer mushroom gravy recipe to solve that.